Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Belegarsson, May 30, 2019.

1. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    I believe we've talked about this before. FR was originally meant to replace Dragonlance, as Jeff Grubb shared in 30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons:
    Yes, TSR evidently pushed FR as the main brand, but the core books and accessories weren't tied to it. 2E still supported more settings than any other edition, and each had their own supplements, modules, unique systems, etc.

5E is different. Although the default setting is supposed to be the Multiverse, every (new) hardcover module and splatbook is set in FR. 5E's designers have talked about "finally embracing the Realms as the main setting", and they don't add content that goes against FR lore. Minor example: gnolls in 5E FR are irredeemably evil demonspawn, so they can't be an official playable race:

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    FR is awesome. Best D7D setting. PERIOD.

Hey, look guys, let's play Dark Sun. Hey look guys, more sand in your vaginas and buttholes! DEEP.

Planescape? An excuse to explain the outerplanes connecting to everywhere. Goodf or what it does but not really a setting but a cool place for high level characters to explore when smacking orcs and goblins are passe.

Greyhawk? A wanneb FR. And, yeah, I know it came first. But, yawn.

Birthright? Woopity do dah. You get to be royalty. OMG. You can do it everywhere.

Dragonlance? With their fake paladins their stupid wizard rules (lol let us copy FF1 magic classes :P). Forget the idiotic gods. Books were decent but playing in them was all about changing its rules because they were anti anything that would change the books.

Ravenloft? Nice for a visit to say hi to your friendly neighbor vampire but an actual full fledge campaign setting? COME ON. It's called a DEMIPLANE for a reason. :P

Oh. There's that inner world or whatever it was called? That was a nice little concept but no depth.

Now, the Realms has issues too but the fact you can play it any way you want is awesome. You want DS? Go play in Anaurach? DL? There be dragons and silly gods in the Realms too. RL? Vampires exist and you can always have your players go there. Same with PS.

FR > ALL

But, the best? FARLEXIA. That was the best.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    ANY D&D setting is better than Larian's Rivellon. I can take Forgotten Realms setting as a fantasy setting, but with Rivellon I can't rid of a thought that I literally play a "Clown World". It's like a Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork but unironic.
    It is impossible for me to take it seriously.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    True I played several games from that setting - 5 I think - and I still don't really understand what it is about.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Last time you cited this quote as being from Steve Winter, a minor presence at TSR who wasn't mentioned in the credits of the Forgotten Realms box set of 1987. Regardless of the exact source of the quote, it was apparently made two decades after the fact and the source is misremembering the circumstances. Dragonlance had been created as an epic Tolkienesque series of 12 adventure modules (and 2 other modules) starting in 1984 with the last few being published in 1986, as well as an associated trilogy of novels that proved a tremendous commercial success. Aside from the original 14 module series, not a single Dragonlance gaming product had been published even by the end of 1986. TSR never gave Dragonlance a chance to serve as the "main" AD&D campaign setting, instead choosing in 1986 to create a new campaign setting, based on the personal campaign of frequent Dragon Magazine contributor Ed Greenwood. More importantly, neither Dragonlance nor the Forgotten Realms would have had the opportunity to become, in Jeff Grubb's words, the new "home base” of the AD&D game universe" if Greyhawk had continued to fill that role. After Gygax's ouster from TSR, the new leadership cancelled all planned Greyhawk gaming products. It wasn't until 1988 that the Greyhawk line resumed, and even then the first product was the silly, satirical WG7 Castle Greyhawk adventure module that included none-too-subtle swipes at Gygax. The Forgotten Realms was created to fill the void left by the abeyance of the Greyhawk setting and to provide a permanent replacement for it.

Final Fantasy was released in Japan in 1987 and eventually made it to the United States in 1990, six years after the publication of the first Dragonlance modules and novels. But thanks for pointing out another possible "borrowing" of D&D/AD&D material in the original Final Fantasy; the inspiration for the colors white, black, and red to differentiate the three "mage" classes may well have been Dragonlance. +M

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    what you describe above is pretty much exactly how my first DM ran our D&D games back when I first played in 1981 or 1982. He was not quite that strict, but close.

he was also like 18 and me and my friends like 11 and 12 so he laid down the law and we did not argue. but the games were tense and fun, and when you found a +1 dagger you really felt like you had found an amazing item. Most of our characters died at 1st level and had to be re-rolled and a new one picked up in town or whatever...making level 2 was awesome.

Also he made us roll our stats one at a time in order (4d6 remove lowest one) and then we chose what class based on whatever stats came from those rolls. So if you were lucky enough to roll high enough to get to be a paladin or something it was a joyous event in and of itself and could really help out the party.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It is funny how I was introduced to FR long before I was to Dragonlance. I had always thought Dragonlance was later than FR.

^ Top  
  8. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    Rivellon isn't a setting since it has zero internal consistency. Swen changes parts of the lore and backstory with every new game he releases. Like turning Elves from tree hugging people to literal tree-people.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Here:
    Also, a softly "fuck you, Sawyer":

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Stella_Brando Arcane

Stella_Brando
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    The thing I loved about Baldur's Gate and Arcanum and hated about Wasteland 2 and PoI is that you can create your party. This is disgusting, it utterly kills any immersion in the setting, when you are not talking or dealing with the world as a character but as some hivemind WALKING TEMPLATES. It is not a Bhaalspawn trying to deal with genie problem, it is NPC#12372917A initiating talk with the genie then NPC#9237861C talking with the sheriff etc.
    RPG should have ONE main character and companions, not a team aof walking mannequins

• WTF am I reading x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    So FF started because he thought RPGs weren't deep enough?
    :stunned:

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Fucking Minsc alone had more personality than all those Pillars and Wasteland walking templates. And companion interaction was one of the best thing inherited from BG by modern games.
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 7
    • decline decline x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    *Remembers how weak companions was in Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity*
    *remembers how boring personal quests was*
    *shudders*
    No. Just no. Considered how devs nowadays love to create "set in stone" systems and setting "with apex predators and dangerous enviroments" and then create characters that completely unfit in this system, perspective to stuck with bunch of useless loosers amidst sea of monsters doesn't bring smile on my face. I mean, I love well written characters, but most devs nowadays want to create "quirky romance character" instead of capable companion.
    In Arcanum some companions at least had decent stats, what I cannot say about other games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    [​IMG]

Our Savior of RPG Lord Swen allowed us to know little bit more about the sacred and secret role-playing game named Baldur's Gate 3 through the mouth of German disciple GameStar.de. But only those who privileged enough (paid subscribers) can observe it in its full glory...

No gameplay at Gamescom. When the first gameplay reveal happens, it will be about combat system. Likely no isometric camera.

Google Translate:
    https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/bal...eplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-preview-early-access-kamera,3345543.html

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Minsc needs a bigger sword.

^ Top  
  17. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    That's what she said.

Zep--

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    What does this mean ?

Dragon Age camera?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    If Minsc was released in a 2019 game people would complain about forced randumb humour.

^ Top  
  20. Thonius Prophet

Thonius
    Imagine butt-hurt on steam forums if anything like this implemented. But yeah I heard you.
    I would like to see something like that tied up with curses. Or mutilation for example lose hand or eye. Sacrificed party members for cure which leads to total party fall off. Get new party fight your old party. Some unusual dynamic would be really coon in RPG. Instead it's only linear growth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Can a German person read this and tell us whether Swen is confirming a Steam Early Access release here?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    Holy shit, does this mean that jokes about 3d person was close to truth?I have no words. I mean, even people who was joking about it admited that it was just a joke. But here we are, seriously risking witness a decline of epic proportions.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's not what the article says. Technically, Google translates it fine, but the meaning in German is different. It means that potentially it won't be isometric for the first time in the franchise.

This translates to "even though Baldur's Gate 3 should go through some kind of beta test or early access". The entire sentence doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though. He doesn't want to make a poll for the combat system, even though the game should go through a beta test. What does the beta test have to do with a vote for the combat system? The German "obwohl" is more strict in its use than "even though", so yeah, it makes even less sense in German. At least to my admittedly humble German.

^ Top  
  24. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    And what about 5e rules of d&d? Is there a way to at least partially implement rules of party based tabletop game into 3d person action game? I don't think devs knows answer on this question either, because implementing d&d rules wasn't in their plans anyway. If I wrong in my assumptions -good, but now things look really weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    In the words of James Brown, "Told you so!"
    Show Spoiler

• Despair x 3
    • Button x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.