Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did they invest at all on marketing? Like real ads and shit, not the good karma articles all over the net. I have as many adblockers as I can, don’t watch TV and barely check youtube, so no real way to know for me.
My guess is 100mil development budget and another 50 to 100 mil for marketing. I have no source on the development budget, completely my own guess.

Marketing budgets are often 50% to another 100% of the added cost, because marketing is the largest driver of sales. These marketing numbers are based on often cited budgets for various media, going from movies to big budget video-games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
rnAbkwN.png

there's a reference for dos2 already, in the chapel. lepidus crispitus that's retarded.
I found the one of Lohse as well. I guess it's a collection of paintings you can steal for some hidden quest, as in D:OS.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I think everything I said about this game in EA still holds except the lack of class options. At least that's something.

-Bad maps -- too myopic (Where's the world map?), no coherence. (why am I fucking around in the woods? Find a road and get to town already. No I don't want to do a bunch of lol random side quests right now. Time and place man.)
-Stupid opening (demons, illithid, and dragons vs level 1 noobs should never go well)
-5E is still lame*

*I didn't want to rely on a gay vampire rogue, so my MC needs lockpicking, and I didn't feel like having a second rogue, so, god-dammit, I'm playing a bard, and it works. Did 5E finally do the impossible and make Bards good? Or is this some Larian fuckery??

I hate myself. And Nickelback.

cw8

Cipher
I spent 20 mins in the character creator before realising "Body Type" changes faces and looks to be female shaped. Tinkering around with Body Type 2, trying to make a male look like a female. Shouldn't all this be under "Sex" or something. How intuitive.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
codex: "this game sucks!"

Nn1OGvO.png

also codex: "the spankbank has been refilled"
I'm pleasantly surprised to see Shadowheart is not as flat-chested with clothes off as she is with her armor on.Try looking at her from the side with armor on, it's really startling how conservative the modeler was.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There is a scrollbar. It's on the left side of the screen. Blind fuck.

Scroll bar in options is on the left. Put on your glasses, grampa.
So this is the quality of BG3 haters we get these days?

Motherfucker, where? Here's the fucking screen in full, spin up MS Paint and circle Waldo. Glasses didn't help, there's nothing on the left and the thing to the right is just a fucking ornament.

bg3-keybinds-menu.jpg
Sorry to suggest stupid shit, but are you sure your display is set to the right ratio ingame? I also have my scrollbar on the left hand side of the screen. Which itself is... well if there was a perverted game, it's that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
One nice innovation is the "Inspirations" - if you are true to your background in any of a series of about a dozen or so events per background, you get an Inspiration point (max 4 to hodl or spend) which you can use up to reroll an ability check. Quite a neat idea, as it encourages you to stick to the rp flavour you chose
Inspirations are an optional 5e mechanic, which the DM is supposed to award the players with for putting effort into RPing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
One nice innovation is the "Inspirations" - if you are true to your background in any of a series of about a dozen or so events per background, you get an Inspiration point (max 4 to hodl or spend) which you can use up to reroll an ability check. Quite a neat idea, as it encourages you to stick to the rp flavour you chose

If only rerolls actually mattered. It's practically a "save yourself a few seconds by not reloading your quicksave" button. Would be a lot more impactful if the game had enforced iron man rolls or something without ironman deaths.
Not everyone is a munchkin and it's your choice.

Reinhardt

Arcane
from what i've heard not every failed check is "rock falls" so reloading after each fail is not even best course of action.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Swords bard is pretty good but the bard spell selection sucks ass what am I supposed to use hypnotic pattern? give me a fucking fireball.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Have to give the writer some credit here.

Back when the game was still in EA i made a joke about using Gale as a suicide bomber, and they actually has that in the game, literally.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

If only rerolls actually mattered. It's practically a "save yourself a few seconds by not reloading your quicksave" button. Would be a lot more impactful if the game had enforced iron man rolls or something without ironman deaths.
Not everyone is a munchkin and it's your choice.

I actually do a fair bit savescumming in other games, but I’ve played this game essentially in self-enforced Ironman with the skill rolls and it’s very enjoyable.

So I love the Inspiration system - it saves key rolls for which I have the skills from failing.

But then, every RPG should have a fate system. I don’t understand why most don’t. It’s a much simpler and more elegant way of doing what all these shit systems like karmic dice try to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom