Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There aren't many encounters that can't be solved with a tactical Spike Growth placement and standing at the other end of the field as a bear.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
looool you know how there's a 100+ hp spider in some cave under the first goblin village you find? The one with the gnome on the windmill? Well, it just so happens that I gave Wyll the power to push enemies when he laded a hit with the eldritch ray thing warlocks have. So he hit the spider, and by chance, the spider fell directly into a chasm and died immediately. Free xp!
Neat, but Solasta has been enabling this same use of verticality since its release two years ago. +M

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Shadowheart is not as flat-chested with clothes off as she is with her armor on.Try looking at her from the side with armor on, it's really startling how conservative the modeler was.
You should have placed Shadowheart in githyanki girl's armor, after the latter suffered an unfortunate accident on the edge of a blade.

kkg70d.png

Which has better AC, anyway.

Robber Baron

Savant
I kneel to whoever in Larian was behind the decision of getting rid of that ugly wall of fog that was in EA

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Could someone advise me how to disable followers' voice overs? I mean only the followers' i.e. sliding the Voice volume down under Audio isn't what I am looking for. It would seem the relevant files are packed into something. I don't know where yet.

Lemming42

Arcane
ca05Bs2.png

Cornrow boy doesn't care that his mark is my best friend now, even though his whole purpose in life is hunting her down. Look, she's literally dead ahead of him, in his line of sight, and he has no acknowledgement of this. There's only one dialogue option to ask him about her and he's just like "she could still be out there, taking lives!" as he stares directly at her.

I guess maybe Volo is blocking his line of sight and he's got debilitating short-sightedness and that's why things haven't kicked off yet.

Yosharian

Arcane
EDIT: Okay, after about five minutes with her, I really like Karlach. Only companion so far who hasn't made me want to put an icepick through their eye.
This is so weird because everyone keeps saying this and yet Karlach's 'I wanna go on a date!' dialogue was making everyone cringe during that last showcase that Larian did.

What specifically is it about her that makes you like her? I'm genuinely curious.

Mojobeard

Augur
The leather cap you find at the start is "light armor" and disables the Barbarian unarmored thing. I was wondering why my AC is so low.
A hat that doesn't even give an AC bonus is hardly armor, Larian. And bare chest + metal helm is a very common barbarian trope, the very same the class ability is supposed to mimic.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yosharian

Arcane
I really like Karlach.

worst companion in the game easily, and that's saying a fair bit
Elaborate please?

I've said it many times. She's the stereotypical contemporary RPG archetype - supposed to be a war veteran soldier, but has the personality of a manic pixie dream girl and is written solely in contemporary pop culture language, Dragon Age Inquisition-style.
Ok but like give me an example

Lemming42

Arcane
What specifically is it about her that makes you like her? I'm genuinely curious.
I know it'll really rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I like how her dialogue is much more natural-sounding compared with the usual shitty medieval "hail, friend, what say we go down the tavern and tell a tale or two, i'll wager" shit, which I've always found pretty alienating and unimaginative. Granted, having her talk more or less like a normal person isn't imaginative either, but at least it's a change of pace.

Her backstory does seem immediately ridiculous, but I think you just have to accept that that's how companions are in cRPGs, especially modern ones. Everyone's got a tragic backstory where they turn out to be the single most important person in the galaxy, it's just part and parcel of these games.

I'm surprised you haven't killed that guy yet. Why does he want to hunt Karlach anyway? Isn't she, like, good?
Not sure what the plot is, she was accused of killing like 30,000,000,000 random people but claims not to have done it, and I assume at this point she's telling the truth since the people making the accusation turned out to be liars, confirmed by my weird mind-reading skills (they also attack you out of nowhere if you're like "hey can you explain yourselves", just to remove any lingering doubt).

Either way the devil-hunter guy straightforwardly doesn't seem to care, so he can stay on his little chair in the corner of the camp and sit in silence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really like Karlach.

Elaborate please?

I've said it many times. She's the stereotypical contemporary RPG archetype - supposed to be a war veteran soldier, but has the personality of a manic pixie dream girl and is written solely in contemporary pop culture language, Dragon Age Inquisition-style.
Ok but like give me an example

Just watch the dating scene, you'll know exactly what to expect.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually do a fair bit savescumming in other games, but I’ve played this game essentially in self-enforced Ironman with the skill rolls and it’s very enjoyable.
Same here. It helps when you know the game is designed around non-power-players.

I wasted 5 thieves tools trying to lockpick a chest, but I didn't reload.
1691226760066.png

With all its flaws, the Larian formula has always had uniquely good mechanics that emulate PnP. If you adapt to these as a player, there is more enjoyment of the gameplay.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I actually do a fair bit savescumming in other games, but I’ve played this game essentially in self-enforced Ironman with the skill rolls and it’s very enjoyable.
Same here. It helps when you know the game is designed around non-power-players.

I wasted 5 thieves tools trying to lockpick a chest, but I didn't reload. View attachment 39658

Larian removed component cost from Knock, so it's back to BG1+2 where a mage is the master lockpicker

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really like Karlach.

I like most companions so far. I mean, apart from the We traveled a long time now and I will tell you my deepest secrets after being together for 2 hours. Other than that

I like them a lot more than I expected to, but it's so fucking weird they went with the "I DON'T TRUST YOU"-sarcastic personality types they all have upon meeting them and then after an hour they're all "YOU MA BEST FRIENDO". It's a big game, they had time to make things progress more naturally. But I suspect the fact that they're all snowflakes with super complex backstories + the fact that they actually have fewer lines than you'd might expect meant they had to speed things up.

I'm 3/4s into Act 1 and most NPCs have only told me a fraction of their backstory yet all of them treat me like we're already confidantes. It's especially glaring with Shadowheart - at least the others have moments that somewhat believably communicate why they suddenly trust you.

It's especially shit on Dark Urge where they'll all forgive the horrific murder of Alfira without batting an eye except saying "I'll be watching ya mate"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom