Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Rhobar121

Scholar
Honestly, I liked the Karlach introduction scene if you have Wyll in your party.
Wyll realizes that he has been lied to and decides to disobey the order knowing it will end badly for him. Wyll had more character in that damn scene than he had in all of EA.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm kind of annoyed that we got mostly ugly girls for companions when there are random npcs as hot as this one
09fg2n.png
Only proves that Larian knew what they were doing. The player has have some internal struggle on whether he should kill her or no. Feel a bit sorry that he did it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
looool you know how there's a 100+ hp spider in some cave under the first goblin village you find? The one with the gnome on the windmill? Well, it just so happens that I gave Wyll the power to push enemies when he laded a hit with the eldritch ray thing warlocks have. So he hit the spider, and by chance, the spider fell directly into a chasm and died immediately. Free xp!
Neat, but Solasta has been enabling this same use of verticality since its release two years ago. +M

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Shadowheart is not as flat-chested with clothes off as she is with her armor on.Try looking at her from the side with armor on, it's really startling how conservative the modeler was.
You should have placed Shadowheart in githyanki girl's armor, after the latter suffered an unfortunate accident on the edge of a blade.

kkg70d.png

Which has better AC, anyway.
Now this is getting into Kate Bush territory.

Shaki

Arbiter
God, I hate timed sidequests
I love them, one of the few things that are actually incline about this game. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried to be a little bitch and long rest right in front of an encounter, and it resulted in an allied NPC dying while I was resting. In most games they would just kindly wait for me to finish sleeping. Between this and tactician difficulty making me use a lot of resources in most fights, I often get in situations where I have a real dilemma, either have to rest and risk quest outcomes changing, or I have to push through with low health/resources. I like it, feels intense.

It also seems Larian generally provided content even for "bad" outcomes, so if things don't go the way I wanted, I find myself still rolling with whatever happens, rather than reloading.

Reinhardt

Arcane
so CAN you make custom hirelings or NOT?
or i will have to respec shadowheart into ninja geisha fujiyama rogue and drow wombyn into sorceress?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't tell if the journo who whined about taking 10+ hours to get to level 4 was on a different version or was just enjoying the "dialogue".

The dude probably avoided every single instance to smite evil-doers (and people who looked at you cross-eyed) with the limp-wristed "pacifism" of modern journos, eager to slurp up the cringe that is the romance scenes.
Estrogen-based journos would turn into rampaging maniacs if BG3 was about smiting teh nahzuh.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
looool you know how there's a 100+ hp spider in some cave under the first goblin village you find? The one with the gnome on the windmill? Well, it just so happens that I gave Wyll the power to push enemies when he laded a hit with the eldritch ray thing warlocks have. So he hit the spider, and by chance, the spider fell directly into a chasm and died immediately. Free xp!
Neat, but Solasta has been enabling this same use of verticality since its release two years ago. +M

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Shadowheart is not as flat-chested with clothes off as she is with her armor on.Try looking at her from the side with armor on, it's really startling how conservative the modeler was.
You should have placed Shadowheart in githyanki girl's armor, after the latter suffered an unfortunate accident on the edge of a blade.

kkg70d.png

Which has better AC, anyway.

Oof, making Shadowtits wear Froggy's armor - that's harsh man.

Re. Karlach, I think some people might like her because she's one of the more naturalistic of the actresses, she really does sound like a London gel.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
the fact that this game has benis model selection at chargen is incredible in ways more than one

and people wonder why i dont play modern games
You can hide all that shit by disabling it in options.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really like Karlach.

worst companion in the game easily, and that's saying a fair bit
Important disclaimer: Grunker has spoken with approval of Astarion.

"Not the worst companion like I thought he would be" ≠ "approval"

Here's how I'd rank them based on my initial impressions:

Good:
None

Decent:
1. Lae'zel (could grow to good, her arc seems well-crafted even though I understand why most people really hate her - you're meant to) = Shadowheart (quite like her writing, it's very lowkey compared to the rest of these fags)
3. Gale

Mediocre:
4. Astarion (might have more potential, remains to be seen)

Crap:
5. Wyll (they took a poorly written character and made it boring instead, snore)

Utter unredeemable dogshit:
6. Karlach (reasons given)

The four remaining I haven't companioned yet, though Minthara seems interesting.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I actually do a fair bit savescumming in other games, but I’ve played this game essentially in self-enforced Ironman with the skill rolls and it’s very enjoyable.
Same here. It helps when you know the game is designed around non-power-players.

I wasted 5 thieves tools trying to lockpick a chest, but I didn't reload. View attachment 39658

Larian removed component cost from Knock, so it's back to BG1+2 where a mage is the master lockpicker
It's a videogame, and we have to police ourselves. I try to mostly not do anything that would come off as moronic in a PnP game, and so far it's been a good experience.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I actually do a fair bit savescumming in other games, but I’ve played this game essentially in self-enforced Ironman with the skill rolls and it’s very enjoyable.
Same here. It helps when you know the game is designed around non-power-players.

I wasted 5 thieves tools trying to lockpick a chest, but I didn't reload. View attachment 39658

Larian removed component cost from Knock, so it's back to BG1+2 where a mage is the master lockpicker
It's a videogame, and we have to police ourselves. I try to mostly not do anything that would come off as moronic in a PnP game, and so far it's been a good experience.

RPGs are a gentleman's genre, yeah. This one especially so. It lends itself well to being played soft Ironman. In fact, I wish it had a setting that loaded in a single seed for all skill checks. Dunno if that's strictly possible, but would be very cool. It's how I'm playing anyway, but if I need to reload for another reason, it means I might succeed on a skill check I previously failed, which is sad.

I do feel like there are one too many cosmetic skill checks though. Just failed a Deception on Minthara, and it essentially didn't matter at all.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the fact that this game has benis model selection at chargen is incredible in ways more than one

and people wonder why i dont play modern games
You can hide all that shit by disabling it in options.

And it's one of the first options you can choose at the start of the game lol - I think roundabout when you do your gamma setting.

Larian know what they're doing - they're trying for the widest possible audience plus the biggest scandal/publicity splash they can make (e.g. bear secs). They know there will be people like many of us here who enjoy the combat and exploration well enough, and some of the others here who hate the companions' guts so much that they're just going to slit their throats as soon as they speak. And people who hate the nudity so much (or have kids around maybe) that they'll switch it off.

They know, and they're catering to everyone. That's what lowest common denominator means - just about everyone will find some point of contact with the game, even if it's not their favourite peak gameplay.

The game "satisfices."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom