Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Imagine being so triggered by 10 pages of unbridled autism that you contribute to it

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If I was given a gun with a single round and locked into a room with a commie and a larianfag, I'd shoot myself in the head.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
dacencora are you not aware of the problem bg3 will create in the rpg industry. Ripples will be made. You must know, I'm sure you've read what I've put out there. If not, you should. You should know the impact your attitude will cause

Lilliput McHammersmith

dacencora are you not aware of the problem bg3 will create in the rpg industry. Ripples will be made. You must know, I'm sure you've read what I've put out there. If not, you should. You should know the impact your attitude will cause
Meh. I don’t buy into your doom and gloom. No matter what happens with an AA RPG, it can never change the old ones, and there will still be indie RPGs.

AAA RPGs are already craptastic, so I guess I don’t know what it will “do” to the genre that has not already been done.

The Witcher 3 is on this site’s top RPGs of all time, so I don’t think that BG3 is going to “ruin” RPGs by any measure.

All of that aside, we haven’t even seen the full game yet, so your hand-wringing is misplaced at best.

To the OP:

Early RPGs could often get away with terrible, silly writing and lore because they had very simplistic graphics and production values. If you think about something like a Wizardry or a Might and Magic or even Baldur's Gate 1, there was a lot of stuff that you could not call great writing by any stretch, but in the context of those games, it wasn't a big deal.

Today, games have advanced, photo-realistic graphics, full voice-overs and complex sound effects and music, and tons of dialogue.

My take on it is that this modern approach makes quality writing a lot more important than in the older games. If you have an NPC spew a silly line or two in an old isometric game, that's not a big deal, but when you have a fully immersive experience that looks like real life, games can no longer afford that. And that's where you start seeing the huge chasm between companies with quality writing (CDRProjekt, Obsidian) or functional writing (Warhorse, Piranha Bytes, short but realistic and to the point), and between those without it (Bethesda, Bioware, Larian). Games from the former immerse you, while games from the latter are jarringly bad.

With D:OS games, as terrible as the writing was in those, Larian had the refuge of isometric perspective and goofy setting. Now that they are moving into more serious and realistic waters, I think the result might be similar to DA:O, a game with a crapload of dialogue and writing, and all of it absolutely terrible. I can already see it in that last trailer, that everybody seems to be excited about. There is so much being said, but it just seems to be more similar to DA:O's verbal diarrhea that's going to get old real fast than to Witcher's quality dialogue. Maybe I am wrong, time will show, but that's the feeling I get right now.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Plus, the ability to create a Githyanki PC is so dope

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
To the OP:
With D:OS games, as terrible as the writing was in those, Larian had the refuge of isometric perspective and goofy setting. Now that they are moving into more serious and realistic waters, I think the result might be similar to DA:O, a game with a crapload of dialogue and writing, and all of it absolutely terrible. I can already see it in that last trailer, that everybody seems to be excited about. There is so much being said, but it just seems to be more similar to DA:O's verbal diarrhea that's going to get old real fast than to Witcher's quality dialogue. Maybe I am wrong, time will show, but that's the feeling I get right now.

Yeah, I get that too. Shit won't translate well to the "cinematic experience". Not sure why there needed to be a cinematic experience to begin with ; real decline on that front, but I suppose they have the means now : means stop you from being creative, you just can toss up ressources up that bitch and make a "great product".

Not sure about -

And that's where you start seeing the huge chasm between companies with quality writing (CDRProjekt, Obsidian)

Obsidian mainly. CDProjekt, yeah, I'll give them that they always wrote well what they set out to write. In fact I'd give them the only recognition of having competent writers in the mainstream crpg industry. We'll see if it holds up with the Cyberpunk game.

Thonius

Arcane
Join my pirate galaxy brain gang.
I'm going to shit on BG3 pre release then pirate it and play. If it's good it's good. No? Going to laugh at pre-order NPC's

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Join my pirate galaxy brain gang.
I'm going to shit on BG3 pre release then pirate it and play. If it's good it's good. No? Going to laugh at pre-order NPC's
I'm going to need a pirated copy so I can change some of the opening scenes to say DOS3 instead of BG3 then re upload, But no way will I play this game. If it's not worth my money, it's not worth my time. And it's definitely not worth my passion

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The problem with BG3 was caused by ignorant decline agents in the gaming community, including most codex members, who voted both DOS games GOTY and couldn't stop hyping them up just because they were isometric and turn based. Guess what faggots, you hype up bad shit, you promote more bad shit to be made. Then sometime when enough money and fame are there, you get an old and nice IP to desecrate and ruin too.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.

Saravan

Savant
Absolutely hilarious to read how low IQ neckbeards here think they can judge what bad or good writing entails.
Not only that, but the writing in Baldur’s Gate was never great. It was serviceable.
Which BG3's writing won't be.

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I am far from critical of BG3, as I said, I’m looking forward to it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t skeptical of the writing.

Vatnik Wumao

Which you are capable of concluding based on fragmented pre-alpha gameplay? With your Nostradomus level of foresight I should hire you to pick out my stock investments.
Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

Saravan

Savant

Certainly looks that way from the footage that we've seen so far. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I doubt that it won't be shit.

It might be, but I like to have all facts on the table before forming an opinion else it's just an assumption. But I guess it sounds more edgy if you write with such confidence?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

What's up with Larian cultists and their silly gimmick accounts? One guy thinks he's a skull and the other thinks he's a cult leader. And then they actually expect you to take their comments seriously when they can't even take their accounts seriously. Passionless. Soulless. Spineless. And they don't even know who they want to be

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom