Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At this point I think we need an actual tranny to tell us which is better: dressing up and pretending to be a man/woman or actually transforming even if there's a chance it will be dispelled.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there really much of a chance of a normie in FR being hit by dispel magic on a regular basis?

Telengard

Arcane
Considering standard Biowarian archtyping stereotyping, had they done it back when, the transgender would have been a soothsayer from whatever that not-India country is called. Thing of it is, it takes somebody with some concept of what d&d, bioware characterization, and classic archtypes are to, you know, do something so off-the-beaten path as to learn about a classic trans-gender archtype character by reading books, and then bringing that classic archtype into an all-classic-myths-blender world (such as FR).

Indian soothsayer - it's simple, it's classic, and it's already part of the d&d mythos. We'll call that the gentleman's C grade of regular Biowarian writing. Beamdog's character is far beneath that.

Which wouldn't even really be a problem considering the discernment level of most rpg players. Except that Beamdog doubled down on insulting its potential audience, showing lack of empathy for its customers, insulting its customers, deleting reviews, and calling for fake reviews. As ever, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.

PrettyDeadman

At this point I think we need an actual tranny to tell us which is better: dressing up and pretending to be a man/woman or actually transforming even if there's a chance it will be dispelled.
I am not a transsexual individual but I would regularly transform into another gender to participate in fantasy orgies if I could.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not a transsexual individual but I would regularly transform into another gender to participate in fantasy orgies if I could.

I've just realised how careful you would have to be in FR with traps.

A whole new definition of trap in fact.

PrettyDeadman

No, that is not the problem. If that was the problem, people would be up in arms against every game because every game has at least one character that is badly written. If this character when you ask him about his name tells you that he had a twin sister that died when he was young so he changed his name so honour her there would be 0 shitstorm. And that is still telling your life story to a stranger that asked about your name.

The problem is that the character is a trans. And people cannot stand that. Because reasons.. and now they are trying to ruin a game that is otherwise a very cool and good cRPG that 'Dex has been asking for a long time.

Some subjects are more sensetive than others. Suxality and gender identity is one of them.
It's okay to be more emotional about distasteful representation ('poor writing') of sensetive subjects but let poor representation of other subject (you don't particularly care about) slide. It's not a sign of bigotry or phobia. The more people care about particular subject - the bigger reaction gets. Doesn't mean that it's an organized harassment compaign.

ArchAngel

Arcane
One random tranny does not represent that character in the game. That character is what it is, no different than others. Except that one feature made people that don't like that very angry.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
FUCKING POLYMORPH! 5 level spell, you need level 9 caster at least. That means it cost 450 gold pieces. Work your ass off, get the spell or ask someone nicely and puff, you are different sex/gender. The End. No Transgender.
Polymorph is dispelled in multiple ways. Also you are made into a generic version of human, not exact one. Wish/Miracle or Limited Wish(probably not) is only real way to do it
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-sex-shifting

Here you go. Can't be dispelled. 2k only. So start working your ass in the brothel.

ArchAngel

Arcane
FUCKING POLYMORPH! 5 level spell, you need level 9 caster at least. That means it cost 450 gold pieces. Work your ass off, get the spell or ask someone nicely and puff, you are different sex/gender. The End. No Transgender.
Polymorph is dispelled in multiple ways. Also you are made into a generic version of human, not exact one. Wish/Miracle or Limited Wish(probably not) is only real way to do it
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-sex-shifting

Here you go. Can't be dispelled. 2k only. So start working your ass in the brothel.
That is pathfinder.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Pathfinder writers pre-empted this whole issue.

:incloosive:

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, that is not the problem. If that was the problem, people would be up in arms against every game because every game has at least one character that is badly written. If this character when you ask him about his name tells you that he had a twin sister that died when he was young so he changed his name so honour her there would be 0 shitstorm. And that is still telling your life story to a stranger that asked about your name.

The problem is that the character is a trans. And people cannot stand that. Because reasons.. and now they are trying to ruin a game that is otherwise a very cool and good cRPG that 'Dex has been asking for a long time.
Some subjects are more sensetive than others. Suxality and gender identity is one of them.
It's okay to be more emotional about distasteful representation ('poor writing') of sensetive subjects but let poor representation of other subject (you don't particularly care about) slide. It's not a sign of bigotry or phobia. The more people care about particular subject - the bigger reaction gets. Doesn't mean that it's an organized harassment compaign.
I don't mind if people complain about a trans character, if they hate trans characters that is their right. I do mind when they pretend it is about bad writing when they have not made such a bit deal about shit writing in the past.
Just be honest guys, I am not here to defend LGBT community, I don't really care much one way or another. But I am going to defend this game vs shit and untruthful reasons.

If you say "I hate SoD because I cannot stand LGBT characters, not even one" that is OK. If you pretend you hate it because of 1 or 2 little "bad" conversations which constitute 0.1% of the whole game that is just lying to everyone.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

That is pathfinder.

That's not an argument. DnD has Magic Item Creation Rules. DnD has Spell Creation Rules. You CAN make this item in normal D20 game, so yeah, your argument is invalid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Polymorph is dispelled in multiple ways.
Real life transition can also be "dispelled". Just forget to take your pills regularly.
And shitposting will get you brofists on 'Dex but shitposter stigma everywhere else.
Agreed.
possibly_retarded.png
So you are another retard that has no arguments and starts insulting. Good for you kid. You must be proud of yourself.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ArchAngel, I know that technically you only said you weren't going to post anymore in the GRPG thread, but I think you might be missing the point of that promise. :M

Have you finished the game yet?

ArchAngel

Arcane

That is pathfinder.

That's not an argument. DnD has Magic Item Creation Rules. DnD has Spell Creation Rules. You CAN make this item in normal D20 game, so yeah, your argument is invalid.
Ok, so what is to say that cleric didn't ask few wizard around if they can help. And those people could not create such potions. In that world Wizards don't have access to all the rule books and know all the rules. Most of the time creating magic items is lots of experimentation. And unless that Cleric found a Wizard that also has a big interest in changing a gender permanently small chance of such an item being easy to get.
Also often once items are presented as part of rulebooks, players usually consider those items common. I played plenty of games where only items from books were allowed because item crafting usually resulted in overpowered min maxed characters.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel, I know that technically you only said you weren't going to post anymore in the GRPG thread, but I think you might be missing the point of that promise. :M

Have you finished the game yet?
This is not that topic. I have not read or posted in that other topic since that moment. This one was more civil and nobody posted spoilers so I decided to continue in this one.
BG games being my favorite games of all times, I cannot ignore stupid attacks on it. If people want to shitpost about LGBT I don't care, leave BG games out of that shitposting.

I have not finished it yet. I am having fun with a Lich atm.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
One random tranny does not represent that character in the game. That character is what it is, no different than others. Except that one feature made people that don't like that very angry.

Dude, yeah, for the most part I agree that there's too much attention given to this. And also that "it's token so that's the only reason we are uspet" comments are often hypocritical and coming from people who would not care in the least about or notice other token characters.. say the drunken dwarf or some other boring crap. Difference of course being that such characters, as opposed to this one, can't really be seen as agenda pushing and being bad at your job is more easily forgivable than pushing your shit.
Which means that after the developers started to go all preachy about it and admit their intentions of putting in such characters for specific reasons it screwed up everything. You have to wonder what would've happened in they just shut the fuck up, but they're both completely incompetent and also stupidly proud of what they did that I guess we never had a chance to know.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Dude, yeah, for the most part I agree that there's too much attention given to this. And also that "it's token so that's the only reason we are uspet" comments are often hypocritical and coming from people who would not care in the least about or notice other token characters.. say the drunken dwarf or some other boring crap. Difference of course being that such characters, as opposed to this one, can't really be seen as agenda pushing and being bad at your job is more easily forgivable than pushing your shit.
Which means that after the developers started to go all preachy about it and admit their intentions of putting in such characters for specific reasons it screwed up everything. You have to wonder what would've happened in they just shut the fuck up, but they're both completely incompetent and also stupidly proud of what they did that I guess we never had a chance to know.
Oh I agree, they handled this situation very badly. Also those previous interviews from Amber were not good. I guess they didn't expect such shitfest to happen. If this will influence sales in a negative way we will see in a few weeks or months. The amount of bugs at release might be a bigger problem.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
ArchAngel, nice to see you in the nfohump SOD thread. Are you searching out every SOD thread on the internet to post in?

Edit: Actually tet666 copy pasting ArchAngel's posts. HMM

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About those elixirs, spells and such... Meh, that Maizena character is not about changing your genitals anyway. If you read carefully xir says "everyone realized I'm truly a woman" (how?). The writer is inserting the Tumblr/twitter version of transgenderism or "I'm a woman because I identify as such and I'm right because I say so and everyone will truly realize it because I don't allow dissenting opinion dialogue options anyway." The only thing he needed to truly become a woman wasn't a high level spell but to construct a new name from THE SYLLABLES OF DIFFERENT LANGUAGES (I don't know why this hilarious sentence has not already become a meme.) Oddly enough, the character sprites are those of a female character, which means she was indeed born a woman but her parents were idiots, she did drink a few of those gender bending elixirs, or in the FR beliefs make reality, just like on Tumblr.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
About those elixirs, spells and such... Meh, that Maizena character is not about changing your genitals anyway. If you read carefully xir says "everyone realized I'm truly a woman" (how?). The writer is inserting the Tumblr/twitter version of transgenderism or "I'm a woman because I identify as such and I'm right because I say so and everyone will truly realize it because I don't allow dissenting opinion dialogue options anyway." The only thing he needed to truly become a woman wasn't a high level spell but to construct a new name from THE SYLLABLES OF DIFFERENT LANGUAGES (I don't know why this hilarious sentence has not already become a meme.) Oddly enough, the character sprites are those of a female character, which means she was indeed born a woman but her parents were idiots, she did drink a few of those gender bending elixirs, or in the FR beliefs make reality, just like on Tumblr.

The parents probably really wanted a boy, so called their girl Jim.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The parents probably really wanted a boy, so called their girl Jim.

Something like that would have been a great dialogue option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom