Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

Weasel
Gaider to the rescue on a dick unicorn... every time this looks like dying down someone from Beamdog fans the flames, can't wait for the next official statement and the later interviews with the poor persecuted writer.

Murk

Arcane
"because everyone has easy access to such magical items"

you insipid fuck the tranny in question has multiple magical items and is a fucking cleric

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ah, Gaydar steps into the ring and shits right in the middle of it.

Good job, great writing. :mrpresident:

Xenich

Cipher
I will say that their handling of this was pretty bad, I am just wondering if this exact situation was bad or catastrophic bad.
Per this article: "Dee Pennyway, assistant producer at Beamdog, . . . wrote on Twitter: 'These are not real #BaldursGate fans. GamerGate launching a negative review campaign for a game that includes one line about a transgender character.'" It also attributes to Trent Oster this quote: "I know our fans can become engrossed in their enjoyment and I really don’t want potential fans to miss out on the series because of protest reviews by small minded individuals."
Ok, that Dee part was catastrophic bad. That was just putting more oil on the fire. I read he deleted the tweet later but damage has been done. Beamdog need some new PR people :D

This is what you get when you have pretentious little brats who were just kids when this game was out. FFS this shit is insulting. I was writing software when this pathetic little turd was still sucking on his mamas teet.

Real fan? Fucking poser company whose entire skill set revolves around modding an already existing game? Are you kidding me with this bullshit?

Xenich

Cipher
"because everyone has easy access to such magical items"

you insipid fuck the tranny in question has multiple magical items and is a fucking cleric

Just goes to show you these idiots aren't even gamers. They have no clue about such details because they are all so busy jerking each other off with their SJW crap. Too stupid to pay attention to the mechanics or focus on their game play inconsistencies.

Please, for the love of sanity let them go out of business so someone that doesn't have shit for brains can pick up the IP.

Fairfax

Arcane
Please, for the love of sanity let them go out of business so someone that doesn't have shit for brains can pick up the IP.
They don't own any of it. It's up to Hasbro, really.
Problem is that it'd be pretty hard to find an RPG studio capable of making a great D&D game, let alone which can/is willing to work with the D&D licence in the first place.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gotta love developers that shit on their own plate and try to question, mock, ridicule and upset the people that feed them. Thanks to them 2016 started p. entertaining.

Also does the bald faggot really think his posts have any kind of positive effect? he is literally helping his company drill holes and set the sails on their own ship, in the middle of a fucking storm, with no port in sight. Its so mindbogglingly stupid i cannot believe it comes from an industry veteran.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Gotta love developers that shit on their own plate and try to question, mock, ridicule and upset the people that feed them.

Ah, but that modern audience money is gonna start pouring in for sure. Anytime now! Just you wait!

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Mom, DnD has too much numbers, I'm being oppressed by math!"

I don't think they will play a game that promotes Matharchy.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Beholders aren't gender-neutral. They're non-gender. In fact, it would be more accurate to call them genderless, or even un-gendered.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Well, the gaming media have picked up the story and fallen back on the usual narrative so there’s no going back now. No turns or surprises here, it’ll be the standard fare with everyone grabbing Dragonspear’s legs and arms in an impromptu tug of war. Dibs on the fibula.

Space Insect

Arcane
Beholders aren't gender-neutral. They're non-gender. In fact, it would be more accurate to call them genderless, or even un-gendered.
According to canon, they are gender-neutral. Quoted from page 40 of 3.5 Lords of Madness:
Beholders are gender neutral
(Of course, logically they probably aren't gender neutral, especially since that book came out before all of the gender types were a big thing.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
According to I, Tyrant, Beholders have both sets of genitals and are capable of fertilizing themselves. :M

Fairfax

Arcane
:dgaider: versus Trump supporter:

Amazing how Beamdog is spinning all criticism as outrage over the trans NPC alone.
I also love how disingenuous the last tweet is. As if it didn't have shitty writing all over it.

Zeriel

Arcane
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam

TrentOster

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Thank you.
-Trent

:butthurt:

From that thread:

Personally I'm glad to see a backlash against extremist ideologies in video games. I mean, Paradox Interactive managed to create 4 world war 2 games without a single mention of the holocaust or slave labour - yet Beamdog can't make a high fantasy game without a transexual charector and bashing Gamergate. Pathetic.

What happened to their forums? I recall them being filled with sycophants and suck-ups. Did a bunch of new people just decide to register or something?

Space Insect

Arcane
What happened to their forums? I recall them being filled with sycophants and suck-ups. Did a bunch of new people just decide to register or something?
Back to sycophants and suck-ups with the added benefits of nazi mods. Dee has been closing every thread that exists about SJW issues on the grounds that "there are already 11 or 12 threads about this" while, in reality, he has closed all but one and banned everyon who sided against Beamdog. Heck, the even closed a thread about the plot holes with the final boss because apparently "The OP requested the thread closed"

Zeriel

Arcane
At this point i'm ready to believe Beamdog is trolling everybody as they consider any kind of publicity good publicity.
Otherwise it's incredible how bad they are.

It actually wouldn't surprise me that they're counting on the support of the press. Personally I think a good metacritic score is way better than getting a temporary allegiance with Kotaku, but some game developers clearly don't.

There is no safe way to wield nostalgia. Reinventing beloved old IPs seems as likely to bite a studio as it is to boost sales from brand recognition. It shouldn't matter if a new piece of related media isn't as good as the original, and yet… something about the way our brains work interprets it as an assault on our childhood.

Anyway, enough about the crappy new Ghostbusters movie. What’s going on here?

I dunno, I grew up with Might & Magic and loved M&M X. I think the underlying problem is that it's vanishingly rare to have people revive series that actually want to do justice to what came before. Usually it's either a marketing push ("Let's attach this old name with recognition to a project we're already making") or developers who are eager to "fix" all the problems they see with the original games, because they never had much love for them in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom