Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Banners of Ruin - turn-based furry card battler

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This game is fun but so undocumented I don't know if weird behaviour is a bug or not. I just found a halberd. When I dragged it to my inventory it turned into a Hatchet. I now have a useless Polearm-card in my deck. Wth?

vazha

Arcane
a bug, most def. One I never stumbled across though. Btw, did they add otters as playable characters yet?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't think so. Also I like a lot about this game, but with 5 or 6 characters it kind of devolves into a mess.

vazha

Arcane
It has a solid foundation for a proper Redwall-esque rpg, the world & setting, classes, mechanics are all there. Writings pretty good too. Hope they made enough money on this to give it a thought.

DraQ

Arcane
It has a solid foundation for a proper Redwall-esque rpg, the world & setting, classes, mechanics are all there. Writings pretty good too. Hope they made enough money on this to give it a thought.
If you you want a good civilized animals type of world & setting, + good writing and stuff, you can always play Ghost of a Tale.
Not for combat, though as it effectively has none.
But it's good stuff and might be getting a sequel sooner than later, apparently.

vazha

Arcane
I did play it and found it enjoyable, but a bit too cartoony. Banners of Ruin has more grimdarkey art direction & style, I prefer that. But yeah, would happily play Ghost of a Tale's sequel too, not much meat on the market when it comes to anthropomorphic animal settings anyway.

vazha

Arcane
Yeah, not my favourite thing either, though they did it reasonably well I think. That's why I said there's solid core for a proper rpg in there.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, not my favourite thing either, though they did it reasonably well I think. That's why I said there's solid core for a proper rpg in there.
I wonder if Tails of Iron is gud?

Also,
I did play it and found it enjoyable, but a bit too cartoony.
Eh, it's ok. Visually it's very strong and I prefer furries that aren't just humans with different head and tail, writing strikes a good balance between humour and seriousness, worldbuilding is good and interesting and I don't need to murder stuff horribly in every game I play.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
It's a soulslike platformer, so not my cup of tea. Pretty though, got that Over The Garden Wall vibe about it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I think it was OK - but a bit too combo-reliant for my tastes. However it has a great item-design and the token-battles themselves function very well.

DraQ

Arcane

I think it was OK - but a bit too combo-reliant for my tastes. However it has a great item-design and the token-battles themselves function very well.
I've decided to buy it. It's pretty nice, but nowhere near GoaT in terms of sucking you in, as far as squeaky protagonist games are concerned (yeah, I know, completely different genres and all, but atmosphere, writing and worldbuilding are genre agnostic).
I wonder if I should disable the tokenized tells to get better feel of the combat on visual feedback level.
Also a bizarre decision to go with green blood for frogs given that the game is pretty gory anyway.

Harthwain

Magister
How does this kind of card game even work mechanically, BTW?
You are essentially working to make the most broken deck possible by combining item and skill cards, while working your way through the encounters and bosses in a sort-of roguelike runs through the city depicted as three "lanes" of cards.

vazha

Arcane
Yeah, what he said. You try to build a most optimal & cost efficient deck, making sure its neither too bloated nor too sparse & one trick pony-ish.

Btw, the general dumbing down in game(r)s was really manifest in the BoR steam discussion, as many people found the combat challenging, while its super easy once you get the hang of things in first 2-3 runs.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I've decided to buy it. It's pretty nice, but nowhere near GoaT in terms of sucking you in, as far as squeaky protagonist games are concerned (yeah, I know, completely different genres and all, but atmosphere, writing and worldbuilding are genre agnostic).
I wonder if I should disable the tokenized tells to get better feel of the combat on visual feedback level.
Also a bizarre decision to go with green blood for frogs given that the game is pretty gory anyway.

I misread you, I read "Trials of Fire" which is a similar game to Banners. Sorry :lol:

DraQ

Arcane

I misread you, I read "Trials of Fire" which is a similar game to Banners. Sorry :lol:
I meant this one:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/tails-of-iron-rat-souls-narrated-by-geralt.140391/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom