Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't worry, mit dem Codex Fundraiser kommt das alles Ordnung.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
No PvP no buy for me.
PvP should have been their main focus. Unless then have some really innovative AI code already written and tested (which I sincerely doubt), co-op skirmishes can only take them so far. And what else do they have? Story? Who the hell cares about the story in a non-RPG?

The project looks increasingly like a train wreck propelled forward only by the residual momentum of the initial BattleTech namedrop.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PvP should have been their main focus. Unless then have some really innovative AI code already written and tested (which I sincerely doubt), co-op skirmishes can only take them so far. And what else do they have? Story? Who the hell cares about the story in a non-RPG?

The project looks increasingly like a train wreck propelled forward only by the residual momentum of the initial BattleTech namedrop.
What co-op skirmish?
The game will not have that in any version.

ArchAngel

Arcane
My bad - I was under impression that their "base skirmish game" included co-op. Well, with single-player only their prospects are even bleaker.
Singleplayer only worked well for SRR, WL2 and PoE. MP would boost it a lot if they allowed players to play campaign together like D:OS allows.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm only interested in pvp if it has campaign rules and stuff. Just mechs ducking it out will probably get old fast, and I doubt it will have decent enough balance for some competitive ladder.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Step 1: Add fucking pvp
Step 2: Add Total War-style campaign where 8-64 people refit mechs between skirmishes, pick contracts and end up pitted against AI or other players*
Step 3: ???
Step 4: GOTY

*Have the game generate a number of contracts and offer the player(s) to fight for one (or both) sides depending on their location and reputation with the factions. Once everyone has picked a contract (or passed), do a round of single missions. Each contract supports X lances on either side, with AI filling the spots not taken by players. If multiple players bid for the same slot on a contract with limited slots, give it to whoever bid lowest and let the other player pick a less lucrative minor contract. Encourage a bidding war for the best contracts. Maybe even encourage the loser to sign up with the other side to take petty revenge.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Step 1: Add fucking pvp
Step 2: Add Total War-style campaign where 8-64 people refit mechs between skirmishes, pick contracts and end up pitted against AI or other players.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: GOTY

Dont think HBS has the manpower, the money or the capacity to make something so complex as a mp total war style campaign with TB battles

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's very little complex code involved in what I just described.
If they're adding pvp, they already have procedural contracts and a galaxy map from the extended campaign stretchgoals.

They just need to sync the turns of multiple players and add an extra negotiation step and allow multiple people on the same contract. Most of the time consuming systems can be copypasted from extended campaign.

Make Ulminati the $2.65 mill stretchgoal and I'll gather a few mates and code it after they give me access to the source code. :3

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's very little complex code involved in what I just described.
If they're adding pvp, they already have procedural contracts and a galaxy map from the extended campaign stretchgoals.

They just need to sync the turns of multiple players and add an extra negotiation step and allow multiple people on the same contract. Most of the time consuming systems can be copypasted from extended campaign.

Make Ulminati the $2.65 mill stretchgoal and I'll gather a few mates and code it after they give me access to the source code. :3
Don't forget these guys have never made a proper mp pc game, and had a hard time implementing a simple save system and never did pull off a persistent game world with shadowrun.

I bet a lot of those problems were down to unity, but also to skill and money.

Any word on what engine they are using?

Branm

Learned
Yeah not sure if they even have anyone that has experience writing netcode....I still think they will make the 2.8m for multiplayer though

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm pretty sure there's a prepackaged "netcode for unity" API out there they can drag and drop into the game. For the money they demand, it should be trivial for them to hire a skilled programmer or two to take care of the rest.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm pretty sure there's a prepackaged "netcode for unity" API out there they can drag and drop into the game. For the money they demand, it should be trivial for them to hire a skilled programmer or two to take care of the rest.

I bet if you look at their 5 year plan for the company, in terms of human resources, their one and only bullet point is "hire bioware writer, the gaider the better".

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Reddit AMA with Mike McCain this Friday at 1030 PDT. If people can't make it or just can't be assed to be there post questions and I'll spam them.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
There is always a surge in last 2 days. They will make it to PvP, but if there are stretch goals after it, those are in trouble.

No stretch goals after the 2.5m. Anything after that goes into a live team for post release continued development.

My bad - I was under impression that their "base skirmish game" included co-op. Well, with single-player only their prospects are even bleaker.

Co-op play is the stated first item for the potential live team.

One thing that I expect to give them a large jump in funds is when they open up more digital reward tiers, and enable physical add-on items for all tiers. Supposedly both are "in the works™", but I can't get a decent answer out of Mike as to when. For the add-on items they need to get the rights, because apparently reward tiers are considered different than add-ons. Add-ons are considered sale items, while reward tiers are gifts/rewards, thus, different rights.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reddit AMA with Mike McCain this Friday at 1030 PDT. If people can't make it or just can't be assed to be there post questions and I'll spam them.

Ask them about the single player gameplay mechanics.

How do initiative and rounds are decided in combat?
How are actions and attacks resolved? Same as their previous game? If not, explain further and in detail.
Does ammunition is kept track off in actual numbers or will be abstracted away as in Shadownrun Returns?
Do you keep track of the health of each mech parts separately or will be just one mech, one hp bar?
How many types of mech are you planning to put in the base game? Can the players mix and match each parts of the mechs with other parts from different mechs?
How many type of weapon are available in the game? How will weapon range be calculated?
If this is a turn based game, what tiles are you using? Squares or hexagons?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1382653

1c8be9ef6ba5b35ba6949f3d7614e387_original.jpg
59a6c3faac488dea57218ac8893330ed_original.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Exciting news, everyone - I now have word from HBS that they will indeed be happy to work with us again, so, Kool Kodex Kickstarting is gonna be a thing again. I'll be making a newspost about this later today, but yeah - it's a thing. We'll get the 1K (or higher, if we're so supremely fundraisey) overall bonus, and everyone chipping in at $25+ will get a game key as well, just like with SR: Hong Kong.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fuck Atlas. The chicken walkers (Mad Cat, Vulture, Raven, Catapult...) Are the cool mechs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom