Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another new writer (narrative designer) at Beamdog: Carson McConnell, who was working as a QA tester on Mass Effect 3 and DA: Inquisition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mazisky

Magister
Are they able to create a Crpg their own? Did they do other stuff a part from selling already existing games?

Dux

Arcane
This is a funny world, isn't it? Beamdog fails at everything they attempt, taints an old and venerated franchise and still gets to talk projects like they've actually earned that privilege.

Fuck Beamdog and their little plans too. I don't say this often but I truly hope they crash and burn. I know, it's probably better to hope for good things than bad ones but Beamdog are so incredibly odious I just can't. I can't think of any other "developer" that rustles my jimmies as fiercely as this particular group of leeching charlatans. :argh:

Eh... a bit tired, maybe. Best not to say more. Bedways is rightways now.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Now I'm even more mad I didn't get hired. I don't know if I'm more qualified than a bug tester, but I even said I'd watch Eskimos games, for fuck's sake. Eat my shorts, Gaider.

(I'm not actually mad, but like in that way that it would be fun to be a mole and then get the codex blacklisted once they found out I was a sleeper agent and then I took a poop on Trent Oster's chair or something kind of thing.)

Thonius

Arcane
This is a funny world, isn't it? Beamdog fails at everything they attempt, taints an old and venerated franchise and still gets to talk projects like they've actually earned that privilege.

Fuck Beamdog and their little plans too. I don't say this often but I truly hope they crash and burn. I know, it's probably better to hope for good things than bad ones but Beamdog are so incredibly odious I just can't. I can't think of any other "developer" that rustles my jimmies as fiercely as this particular group of leeching charlatans. :argh:

Eh... a bit tired, maybe. Best not to say more. Bedways is rightways now.
I'm not sure if working on D&D is privilege. I'm pretty sure any studio can just come to wizard's of the coast Hasbro with bug of moniz and start production.
Nobody just want to deal with those schmucks. So it's just a small/shitty studios who does so, because they got no name, skills, fresh ideas and every fanboy at least will consider buying any shit with D&D tag on it, and portion of them will buy. (old time glory etc)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How do you go from QA tester to Narrative Designer? Expect more shitty writing.
Well, you don't have to have many qualifications as a game tester other than some knowledge about games. At least on the lowest tier of that "career".
In other words, it is the entry point for game development if you couldn't afford a proper education (like one of the specific game schools, or university or whatever).

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
How do you go from QA tester to Narrative Designer? Expect more shitty writing.
You would be surprised how far can you go from a simple QA tester, especially when you're able to point out bullshit straight to the dev.

Thonius

Arcane
if you couldn't afford a proper education (like one of the specific game schools
I'm not sure "game schools" or any "game degrees" are even the best or proper education for game development.
That's like business schools, seminars etc. It's just business. They just suck your money and off they go.
I mean its just obvious?If lector is cool businessman why he would ever waste time on that shit. So why would any proper game developer waste time at such horible places?
There are shit ton of free or trial software with shit ton of tutorials and helpful manuals. If you cant educate yourself I'm sure some shitty college with gamedev faculty won't help.
In other words if you got yourself gamedev education your fucking retard.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are shit ton of free or trial software with shit ton of tutorials and helpful manuals. If you cant educate yourself I'm sure some shitty college with gamedev faculty won't help.
While that is true, there is another side to it. Speaking as someone who has both learned and taught at game schools (stopped with both, though ;) ), I may be biased, but I consider my own view on those school relatively harsh.
If you are incapable of a task or - worse - incapable to learn, no school will ever really change that. Waste of your parents' money, then. Which is usually the case for 50-70% of people learning there.
If, however, you do show promise, if you do usually have an edge over others and if you are not wasting your time at those places playing MOBAs 24/7, then such a school can be a boon.
Since no matter how good you are, you will meet people at those schools that can show you something new, give advice or help you in other ways. In that case, you can only benefit from the experience - if the school is somewhat worth its cost.

An online tutorial will only ever go so far. If you truly think online materials will make you good in - well, in anything - then you are simply delusional.
The best methods to learn are a) from your and others' mistakes in a guided manner and b) from your/others' experience. And the good schools will allow for both. Some even teach you more than just clicking on buttons in Unity. Some.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron

I need a quest compass for this one. We care because.. Gaider is visiting Paradox? Pointing to a possible Paradox-Beamdog AD&D project? At the same time as the Pathfinder-Obsidian market testing poll was released?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I need a quest compass for this one. We care because.. Gaider is visiting Paradox? Pointing to a possible Paradox-Beamdog AD&D project? At the same time as the Pathfinder-Obsidian market testing poll was released?

Could be. Maybe something like partnership project? Does Paradox has game developers and coders or are they just publishers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom