Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

purpleblob

Savant
Actually reminded me more of DA universe designs...

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For years, it has been a trend in fantasy to overload character design with a lot of unnecessary crap. The thief is the most obvious victim since they attach all sort of shit to their armors, but the warriors suffer too. Personally, I blame Assassin's Creed's "I'm too cool for this world" style:

iu

Beamdog's design is the spiky version of that, I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea those spikes are a bit sore for the eyes. I doubt thugs enjoy hurting themselves accidentally all the time.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
They really should hire a better concept artist. This looks like an angsty teenager with a fetish for spikes has been learning phohoshop for 3 months.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
For years, it has been a trend in fantasy to overload character design with a lot of unnecessary crap. The thief is the most obvious victim since they attach all sort of shit to their armors, but the warriors suffer too. Personally, I blame Assassin's Creed's "I'm too cool for this world" style:

Beamdog's design is the spiky version of that, I guess.

It worked in Assassins Creed 2 and its spinoffs because you played an Italian.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
They really should hire a better concept artist. This looks like an angsty teenager with a fetish for spikes has been learning phohoshop for 3 months.

She seems to be a good artist, at least from what I can see on her web page, which has more designs for the game.

https://amycornelson.artstation.com/

Doesn't strike me as particularly good, but perhaps I am spoiled by collecting the best stuff from artstation/deviantart for years. Wonder if she has been hired to fill the SJWdog gender diversity quotas.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I always love seeing concept sheets like that. It is like a whole universe of possibility unfolding, whereas the small number of final 3D meshes tend to disappoint. That said, they look kind of like they all level scaled to 60.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I always love seeing concept sheets like that. It is like a whole universe of possibility unfolding, whereas the small number of final 3D meshes tend to disappoint. That said, they look kind of like they all level scaled to 60.

Level 60 townsfolk apparently.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
I always love seeing concept sheets like that. It is like a whole universe of possibility unfolding, whereas the small number of final 3D meshes tend to disappoint.
Well, no worries here then, these are disappointing right at the concept stage already.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That town must be close to one of those endless level shifting dungeons.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another concept pieces from the concept artist, "Fantasy Townsfolk Concepts":
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OlDPk

Wait a minute.

2qqagH3.jpg

Golden Lords Townsfolk

Okay, I guess this could be based on Forgotten Realms...: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Lord

Vesperin was a human country in the land of the Vast in the 15th century, comprising the cities of Calaunt, Ravens Bluff, and Tantras.

[...]

Vesperin was ruled by the Golden Lords, an oligarchic council of the richest and most influential and powerful merchants in the land. The title "Golden Lord" was granted to all council members, regardless of gender. The membership fluctuated with its members' fortunes, but the council itself remained stable and acted consistently and reliably. They worked to preserve a status quo and to ensure a basic quality of life for the people of Vesperin.

The Golden Lords were based in Tantras, the capital city of Vesperin. It comprised three major cities: Calaunt, Tantras, and Ravens Bluff.[2] [note 4]

The Merchant Dukes of Calaunt still held sway in their own city. Travelers to the city required a Writ of Trade, a legal document issued by the Merchant Dukes or by the Golden Lords, in order to pass without interference.[2]

Vesperin remained neutral with regard to international politics.[2]

... or Planescape?: https://to-chance-with-hell-planescape.obsidianportal.com/wikis/ladys-ward

The Nobles District holds most of the high houses of the so-called Golden Lords of Sigil, those bloods holding a tremendous amount of wealth and many with more than their fair share of influence.

Turjan

Arcane
The Golden Lords were based in Tantras, the capital city of Vesperin. It comprised three major cities: Calaunt, Tantras, and Ravens Bluff.
Ravens Bluff would make a lot of sense. It was home of the RPGA Living City campaign that ran from 1987 until 2004. I think that was the first and longest running living campaign ever. I guess even I should have some material somewhere.

Beamdog would have lots of horrible material to mine from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom