Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just to play devil's advocate - of the new NPCs in BG1 Dorn isn't mind numbingly bad. His quest is not in any way pandering, or overly tumblr-ized like Neera's, and it's naturally integrated into places you'll eventually go to anyway (like past the bridge to the city itself). There is a new map, but it's just a wilderness area you'll be hard pressed to notice it's new. He also isn't a pussy, he might be submissive, but that comes with being a blackguard in general and you kinda have to metaphorically beat him into submission. Would've been better if he challenges you at one point forcing you to literally physically subdue him, but eehh. He is overpowered though, but evil NPCs have been overpowered in BG1 since day 1. I haven't even met the drow sorcerer so can't comment on him.

pippin

Not having gem bags or scroll cases is just a minor problem. After all those were necessary in bg2 because the game was just bigger. The only thing that still bother me about bg1 when i go back to it is the limited ammo stacking, there is no reason why they wouldn't allow infinite stacking, especially considering missile weapons can be found everywhere due to bandit assaults.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not having bags of any kind is just a hassle, having them simply fixes a design problem the games have. What the problem is I can't pinpoint, whether that is limited inventory space, too many gems/potions/scrolls being thrown at you, they not stacking enough or something else entirely.

pippin

I guess it's the lack of balance between loot sources and the distances between shops.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I'm gonna be 100% honest here. I don't see much of a problem with the latest BG:EE as someone who only recently played Baldur's Gate at all. The new NPCs are the worst thing about it, but, excepting their entrances, you can pretty much ignore them entirely (I don't even think Rasaad or Dorn force their entrances on you, never had that happen to me at least). Nothing else felt out of place to me and I generally enjoyed my playthrough. The VA job on Neera, though, still makes me want to punch my monitor, and they felt the need to voice every line. Other than that, I don't see the major difference from playing BGTutu or BGT, but I've never personally played them, so I could be wrong.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Dorn does force himself on you, even more than Neera, but I'm not sure whether you have to talk to him in the Friendly Arm inn to trigger his entrance or not.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Anyone here ever try the EET mod? Its pretty much like BGT mode and you can use the Big World Setup program to automatically install that mod along with tons of other mods that are compatible with the mod. Very nice mod

Wayward Son

Dorn does force himself on you, even more than Neera, but I'm not sure whether you have to talk to him in the Friendly Arm inn to trigger his entrance or not.
You must have to talk to him, because I've never gotten his entrance in the three times I've played up to or past Chapter Five.

Anyone here ever try the EET mod? Its pretty much like BGT mode and you can use the Big World Setup program to automatically install that mod along with tons of other mods that are compatible with the mod. Very nice mod
I tried it, couldn't get it to install correctly, ragequit.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
You must have to talk to him, because I've never gotten his entrance in the three times I've played up to or past Chapter Five.

Weird, I set it up pretty easily. Very happy with it, how long ago did you try it? The automatic install didnt work until a few months ago. Before then it could only recommend a install order.

Parabalus

Arcane

I used Big World Setup to install BG2:EE with mods, never found a reason to go full Trilogy(before EE too) since that just makes things more unstable without any tangible benefit. Might give it a go when they finish the IWD part. BG2:EE ran seamlessly though.

Wayward Son

Weird, I set it up pretty easily. Very happy with it, how long ago did you try it? The automatic install didnt work until a few months ago. Before then it could only recommend a install order.
It was probably in January, but I'm playing on Linux, so no automatic installers for me

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

I used Big World Setup to install BG2:EE with mods, never found a reason to go full Trilogy(before EE too) since that just makes things more unstable without any tangible benefit. Might give it a go when they finish the IWD part. BG2:EE ran seamlessly though.
I never had any stability issues myself, infact Im playing through it right now, no problems.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Baeloth (the drow sorceror) is the only non-annoying BG:EE companion, personality-wise. He and Dorn are both very over powered though.

I did use EET and it was a pretty easy install, although I remember some minor quirks with how it transitioned to SoD.

(Also, you do have to talk to Dorn in the Friendly Arms Inn if you want to have the cut scene trigger when you go to the mines. It's actually the least intrusive of the three main NPCs... Neera and Rasaad both accost you if you cross their paths, though you can at least tell them off)

Krivol

Magister
Baeloth (the drow sorceror) is the only non-annoying BG:EE companion, personality-wise. He and Dorn are both very over powered though.

True. Beloth +Edvin gives you spellpower comparable to BG2 midgame team, Dorn + Kagain (with the belt) are meele/tanking powerhorses and Viconia is arguably the best Cleric. It leaves you with choices of F/T or F/T/M (or Kensai/Thief or whatever).

I kinda like that in BG1 - evil characters are usually a bit better than good ones and EE (and it's a good thing too) is not trying to balance that.

Deleted Member 16721

The EE basically brought nothing to the table that something like BWP could not do (modified resolution, bug fixes, script extensions, better AI, poorly written companions, better art assets) except you needed to pay $20 for it.

You said it yourself, they made the game accessible and easy to install/use for a modern audience. Who besides a few hardcore nerds on RPG Codex are going to heavily mod the original Baldur's Gate, a game from 1999 that you're lucky if it will run correctly on a modern PC? Beamdog get major props for doing what they did. Easily worth $20.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The EE basically brought nothing to the table that something like BWP could not do (modified resolution, bug fixes, script extensions, better AI, poorly written companions, better art assets) except you needed to pay $20 for it.

You said it yourself, they made the game accessible and easy to install/use for a modern audience. Who besides a few hardcore nerds on RPG Codex are going to heavily mod the original Baldur's Gate, a game from 1999 that you're lucky if it will run correctly on a modern PC? Beamdog get major props for doing what they did. Easily worth $20.
Guy was asking why it got so much flack here and that's why. When it was released it brought nothing for most people here besides a price tag and bugs. For the steam crowd it might have been worth $20 though.

Seems like its stable and supported by mods now and so worth the $5 I paid for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I kinda like that in BG1 - evil characters are usually a bit better than good ones and EE (and it's a good thing too) is not trying to balance that.

They aren't "a bit better", they are straight-up overpowered, most of the time illegal. Edwin has access to more spell slots than a PC mage can ever hope for, Kagain has 20 con (which makes him the best tank, especially with the dex gauntlets), Viconia has 50% magic resistance and very good dex, Faldorn is the best healer in the game, in EE Dorn is the best melee fighter bar none (Shar-Teel or Minsc are better without EE), Eldoth is a better bard than Garrick, etc. etc. The only better companion good parties have is Coran, who is the best archer in the game, but Montaron is very good as well.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

They aren't "a bit better", they are straight-up overpowered, most of the time illegal. Edwin has access to more spell slots than a PC mage can ever hope for, Kagain has 20 con, Viconia has 50% magic resistance and very good dex, Faldorn is the best healer in the game, in EE Dorn is the best melee fighter bar none (Shar-Teel or Minsc are better without EE), Eldoth is a better bard than Garrick, etc. etc. The only better companion good parties have is Coran, who is the best archer in the game, but Montaron is very good as well.

I always assumed they did that to balance out the retarded "leave when rep is to high" mechanic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I always assumed they did that to balance out the retarded "leave when rep is to high" mechanic.

It was to balance out the much higher store prices when rep is low, there are also some quests which aren't available to parties with low rep and they assumed that people roleplaying evil parties won't take many quests which cater only to good ones, thus losing out on xp. They failed to realize that the rep system can be gamed. High rep? Kill some plebs. Low rep? Donate the heaps of useless money you have to the temples.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
Well, being evil is still inconvienient... But you are right, evil guys are overpowered (well, there is no decent evil thief, only good and easy to get is Imoen, especially if you dual her to a mage, Safana is neutral IIRC).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, being evil is still inconvienient... But you are right, evil guys are overpowered (well, there is no decent evil thief, only good and easy to get is Imoen, especially if you dual her to a mage, Safana is neutral IIRC).

Montaron can do everything, you don't need a pure thief. Imoen is annoying to no end, even though she can stay with the party even if you are a villain. Safana being neutral doesn't change much, the only time she'll leave is if you drop to 1 rep. Playing with an evil party gives the game a much different flavor. You are on a mission for your own betterment, you are powerful and you know it, you can do whatever you want and you take no shit from anyone. I wouldn't say it's darker per se, just more ...my type. Good parties are a little bit too happy-go-lucky, like a bunch of children playing on the playground, just going out and having fun adventuring together, slaying dragons like white knights. Both approaches are valid, it's just interesting how different the game can feel depending on that. I guess kudos are in order for Bioware.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The balance is that when you continue into SoD, the only characters you get to keep are:

Fighters:
Minsc
Khalid
Dorn
Rashaad

Clerics:

Jaheira
Viconia

Mages:

Edwin
Dynaheir
Neera

Thieves:

Safana

So you'll be undermanned to start if you go all-in on evil.

Sykar

Arcane

I ran BG series on my Win 8 PC, modding does not take more than 10-20 minutes, unless you are a blithering retard or modding very extensively and have to manually check for compatibility issues, but most would not mod that extensively anyway since it is not needed for the BG series.

EEderp is nothing more than a cash grab for the gullible feeble minded retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom