Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Here's an idea: perhaps the average gamer should fuck off and play games made for the average gamer.
It's because everybody now wants to do games for this average gamer that games got shittier and shittier.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't see anything shittier about this EE, unless you consider higher resolution options and Tab highlighting shitty, which would be an opinion that is, well...shitty. :D

Beamdog has done the smart thing by letting you turn off the enhanced features if you want. I've talked about adding options like that at length in the past. Rather than telling the average gamer to fuck off, include them and give everybody options to play the game the way they want to.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Awesome that it will be on Android. I love playing games like it on my tablet, especially the other EE's because the touch controls are great. The games feel like they were made for touchscreens, IMO. Android in general needs more games like this.
3c9.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I've talked about adding options like that at length in the past. Rather than telling the average gamer to fuck off, include them and give everybody options to play the game the way they want to.

Yeah, because you're a moron who thinks this and "double the team size to halve development time" are things that actually work.

Nobody has ever managed to make a "classic, hardcore oldschool game, but adapted for the modern audience" and yet everybody keeps babbling about it.

It's expensive to do and it NEVER works out and the result is that the game sucks for both types of gamers, except the modern audience is too dumb to realize they're playing a shit game.

Deleted Member 16721

I guess Obsidian figured it out, huh? In Pillars of Eternity you can play Story Mode or Path of the Damned, with plenty of options in between. Maybe they are on to something... :)

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's not forget that Story Mode was only added in White March. And not many people actually bought that when you compare it to how many people bought the core game.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Then you said this:
except the modern audience is too dumb to realize they're playing a shit game.
Just because the examination revealed it's shittiness doesn't mean it's not 'oldskool hurrcore', you have your isometric view, build-o-wankery and lots of story exposition, and 'modern audience' does like PoE now.

Deleted Member 16721

Let's not forget that Story Mode was only added in White March. And not many people actually bought that when you compare it to how many people bought the core game.

And PoE2 will likely have Story Mode from day one.

Even Lords of Xulima 2 is doing some of this. There will be a much shorter ending in the game for casual players that will take 30-50 hours to complete. But the "hardcore old skool challenge" ending will take 100+ hours to reach. Since they presumably are building the game as a 100+ hour adventure, they can just scale back and create a satisfying ending for those who think the game is too long, without negatively impacting those who want a long game. That's how you do it.

pippin

An EE of NWN doesn't even make sense. NWN supports any arbitrary resolution, the only way to "upgrade" it graphically is to remake all the art assets for effectively an entirely new game. UI-wise it's just fine. Compatibility-wise I think it works on all windows systems out of the box with no fiddling needed. You're also completely fucking up the millions of man-hours that went into producing a slew of custom content and custom modules. What would you make an EE for? To play the worthless OC again? lol

An EE of Arcanum or something similar makes way more sense (from Beamdog's perspective).

UI-wise NWN is fine? Please show me which mod I need to scale the UI then, because I have to play at 800x600 in order to see the screen well. The scaling (or lack thereof) at basically anything higher than 1280x720 makes it impossible to play.

Are you on crack? NWN1 and TOEE had very comfortable UIs, especially when it came to the wheel thingy, surprisingly easy to use. And the quick access stuff at the bottom has never ever been a problem, since it's actually very serviceable. And God forbid is you have to play the game windowed.

Black Angel

Arcane
Then you said this:
except the modern audience is too dumb to realize they're playing a shit game.
Just because the examination revealed it's shittiness doesn't mean it's not 'oldskool hurrcore', you have your isometric view, build-o-wankery and lots of story exposition, and 'modern audience' does like PoE now.
0wing, pls.

Get back to translating Fallout of Nevada instead of talking about this..... hack job.

Zer0wing

Cipher
0wing, pls.

Get back to translating Fallout of Nevada instead of talking about this..... hack job.
A shame I can't use buttons... Is there something you want to express with Disagree of Decline button?

I'll do when I get new files on my hands, don't be afraid. And nope, no news so far.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Alright, that's a better topic than PSTEE or MCA's love-handles...

How's Nevada compared to Resurrection? I found that one way too amateurish, just couldn't enjoy it.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Not without it's small flaws, but compared to Resurrection it's nothing, just a few writing bits. Quest-design wise it's the best Fallout game so far. The game balanced more towards adventure and exploration rather than combat, so if you play your cards right, you may end up playing a lot more peaceful game. EXP for battle encounters drastically reduced. (per killed NPC or critter)
Humor I'd say better executed than Resurrection (less in-yo-face edgy stuff), some core Fallout themes like ghoul racism more thoroughly explored than FO2. (though in Nevada no one knows WTF is 'ghoul' and what it means)
Main story I'd say better in Resurrection but it's comparable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom