Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Currently I'm playing on a 24'' 1920x1080 and I'm satisfied with the result:

FXXRj3Z.png

Previously I was playing on a 17'' and, while a bit less visually pleasing, it was still perfectly playable. But I guess I'm very easy to please, especially when I'm playing one of the best RPGs ever made. :smug:

Gargaune

Magister
On my clean installation of Windows 10, IWD2 works without any external fix or mod, but only if I play in windowed mode and 1024 x 768 resolution (you can select both options in the included configuration utility).

I think I've had similar experiences with IWD2 and other old games, but it's not exactly ideal. If you wanna try and fix it, here's my checklist supplied as-is, no warranty, bla bla:

First, you want the game to actually start properly in full screen. If it doesn't, try the following and stop once it works:

1. Enable Windows 10's legacy DirectPlay components

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off -> Legacy Components -> DirectPlay, check that and reboot the PC.

2. Install the June 2010 DirectX SDK

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

If the setup fails right at the end, don't worry about it, as long as the DirectX Control Panel pops up in your Start menu, you're fine. Now load up said DXCP and try running IWD2 after you've unticked Use Hardware Acceleration under the DirectDraw tab. If that still doesn't work, revert changes and move on to the next step.

3. GOG's ddraw.dll

If you bought the game off GOG, CDP packaged a ddraw.dll which should have fixed issues. But maybe instead it's conflicting with something. If it still doesn't run properly after the above steps, try removing this file from the game folder and launch.

4. Alternate ddraw.dll

If you're still not up and running, you could try using a different ddraw.dll. I've had good results with Aqrit's Ddwrapper (configuration required) on some past installs and I've also seen mentioned (but not tried) Narzoul's DdrawCompat. You can Google these, but proceed at your own risk with installing third-party .dlls.

5. Despair

:despair:

Next, assuming you've got the game launching properly, you now need to make it look right:

1. Gibberlings3 Widescreen Mod

https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/896-widescreen-mod/

This is to get the game running at modern resolutions. My suggestion would be not to run at native, though, since everything will be too small, use a lower resolution of the same aspect ratio - i.e. I use 1280x800 on a 1680x1050 screen.

If the game starts crashing again, you may have applied an incompatible resolution, just rerun the thing and choose a different one. I also did see a note that this could cause a crash when battling the Treants in the forest maze, maybe it's old info as I didn't encounter it but worth keeping in mind if you come to it.

2. GPU Scaling

If you now find your image looks squashed or something on your new resolution, it might be a scaling issue. Go into your nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust Desktop Size and Position -> Scaling -> select Full-screen and tick Override the Scaling Mode Set by Games and Programs. Dunno what the equivalent is on Radeon, but there should be something like that.

3. IWD2 GUI Fix

Finally, your game's running properly, the image is on a widescreen resolution and correctly scaled... but you've got a big bloody hole in your GUI. Well, a nice Frenchman made a mod for that too. You can find reading materials and the download link in this GOG thread but, once more, proceed at your own risk since there's no SSL certificate or code-signing (I installed it manually anyway):
https://af.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/icewind_dale_2_widescreen_ui_fix?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom