Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Being Evil in RPGs

otsego

Cipher
Being a Chad in Alpha Protocol was a lot of fun, especially since it followed you through the game at certain points.

Jason Liang

Arcane
5f1ff54eee8d1.jpeg

/thread

Examples are sacrificing companions at a blood altar for stats gains
I fail to see how sacrificing Durance is Evil, the way I see it, I'm doing the world a favour

In Kichikuou Rance, you can sacrifice your (male) companions to Ho Raga. I think that's a lot worse.
If you want to learn how to save the world, you have to be willing to pay Ho Raga's price!

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Pathfinder:WotR, first moral choice: Woman is half crushed under rubble, paladin asks you to help.
"Pay me"
Diplomacy check success,
Woman digs around for some money while being half crushed, pays you.

Paladin doesn't seem bothered.

What the shit is this?

Now, if I could kill the paladin then facefuck the bitch under the rubble, now we have a memorable decision.

* My point being games think your character asking for money/more money is the standard for eViL pC. I'm Jewish and I take that personally.
alignment in wotr is completely meaningless, good = things devs approve of, evil = things devs disapprove of

at one point the paladin will chastise you for getting angry that people are robbing the dead
The paladin's entire character arc is about how she is a shitty paladin.

notpl

Arbiter
In this case shouldn't she only be a fighter with a misguided sense of zeal then? Aren't Paladins actually given their office and divine powers by the gods they serve? If so, why would a God elevate a follower who is clearly wayward in error?
Because said god is fighting a war against a reality-rending abyssal wound and multiple deity-level demons simultaneously and recruitment standards have laxed.

Mauman

Scholar
In this case shouldn't she only be a fighter with a misguided sense of zeal then? Aren't Paladins actually given their office and divine powers by the gods they serve? If so, why would a God elevate a follower who is clearly wayward in error?
To be fair, despite being the goddess of paladins said goddess is an asshole.

She's an UBER asshole in the original module. A (so-called) paladin whom would have fallen if she applied her own rules to herself.

Vatnik Wumao
There's a bunch more, but the thing about the "bad" choices in DA:O is that a lot of them are pragmatic. "Sacrificing the few for the many" kind of stuff. But those options are still much more brutal than what's in any of the other games Bioware's done since KOTOR.
And you have that sort of stuff from the getgo, like with persuading (or outright deceiving) that prisoner in Ostagar to tell you what you want to know and then murdering him or ('mercy')killing that wounded soldier that you stumble upon near the gates when Duncan sends you to the wilds (that you could've either patched up, helped to get back or left to die). Not necessarily evil, but certainly callous (and I'd say morally questionable at the very least).

Although I don't consider DAO to be a particularly replayable game due to its boring combat system, linearity (besides the zone order picking a la KotOR) and bad encounter design with plenty of trash mobs, I think that the game is BioWare's finest in terms of letting you roleplay your character. Doesn't have that much narrative C&C, but the dialogue options allow you to flesh out your character quite nicely (so even if the protagonist ends up doing mostly the same stuff between two playthroughs, picking different dialogue options serves to frame the experience quite differently depending on your character's outlook and personality).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom