Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Being Evil in RPGs

pickmeister

Learned
Can someone name games that did being evil well? I’d love to play some.
The best one I can think of is Mass Effect for the giggles but it’s still clownish.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
RimWorld subtly promotes being evil.
Common slave cost X. But if you decide to harvest slave's organs you can earn X*2 or X*3. Slaves escaping often? Well, they will have problems if you replace their legs with peg legs. You have guests visiting your colony with awesome traits? You can arrest them and make up by bribing their faction for this transgression.
The list goes on

What RPGs can you think of that really allow a player to be a legitimate villain and overall evil piece of shit?
Fallout 2 lets you do some pretty fucked up things(including raep or rather coercing a woman into doing the nasty with you in a certain Vault City quest).
KOTOR 2 also has some good Dark Side villainy,if you choose to pursue that path(contrast this to the silly and cartoonish "give me all your credits or else" villainy of the first Kotor).
Hell,you can sacrifice Visas during your fight with Nihilus to weaken him. As she lays dying at your feet,you can say something like "Did you think I would care enough to be beside you when you die? Then you were wrong - and I am pleased to kill that hope." Or "I want the last words you hear to be the hate I have for you." Fuck...

Toee allows you to massacre innocents with impunity(Chaotic Evil party in Hommlet,anyone?).
You can also force yourself(if party alignment is neutral or chaotic evil) on some poor prostitutes in a brothel in Nulb...
People will say Tyranny, but tbh the first PoE is far more fucked up. Examples are sacrificing companions at a blood altar for stats gains and feeding a little girl to a zombie.
And everyone here said PoE is shit? Damn wtf I wanna play it now.

you cant be evil, nor good, in a video game. simple as. maybe your actions can imitate, what we would consider irl as, good or evil. maybe they can actually affect outcome of the quests, conversations, and even entire story.
but you are still not hurting anybody.
you are still not helping anybody.
alignment systems may try to revaluate your every noteable action, they can try to place you in their n-dimensional charts, label you, but you still havent done anything meaningful. and the only meaningful stakes can be found in real life - the burden of sins, the suffering of selflessness. good and evil exists exclusively among betrayals, sacrifises, cowardness, greed etc. etc. of day-to-day existence. no amounts of immersion in any interactive media will cover it.
my point is: you cannot simulate good and evil between a real being and an illusion, because it is unsimulable. like love. feeling 'good' after helping a virtual granny find her missing object kitten_04_gray is as delusional as believing these two are actual beings - just because they are made of real particles beaming out of you monitor screen. yet its easier to convince yourself that you 'did good', when in fact, it was absolutely meaningless.
What RPGs can you think of that really allow a player to be a legitimate villain and overall evil piece of shit?
none. my answer is none. it always feels plain once you can see through the paper-thin facade of the medium. sometimes one evil path is written better than an other evil path, but it never feels fulfilling
Sometimes on the Codex, there are opinions that are deliberately trying hard to be contrarian. For some people, their best example is Rusty on DE. For me it's this.

RimWorld subtly promotes being evil.
Common slave cost X. But if you decide to harvest slave's organs you can earn X*2 or X*3. Slaves escaping often? Well, they will have problems if you replace their legs with peg legs. You have guests visiting your colony with awesome traits? You can arrest them and make up by bribing their faction for this transgression.
The list goes on

I always see RimWorld as a fairly standard representation of real life. Put people in those situations, and you'll find out how "moral" they can be.

Readher

Savant
SWTOR has absolutely bonkers dark side options. I'm talking killing innocents left and right, tormenting slaves (and others too), ordering executions of younglings, killing the whole crew of a ship when they're in sleep just to leave no witnesses, creating giant earthquakes that span the whole planet and kill a fuckton of people just to achieve your goals, etc.

Funnily enough, despite that, the game is T rated, because there's no blood lol.

It also has a lot of evil options that are very pragmatic, and not just the typical evil for the sake of it. Probably one of the best games in terms of playing villain/evil character, shame about the whole MMO thing.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Fallout 2 lets you do some pretty fucked up things(including raep or rather coercing a woman into doing the nasty with you in a certain Vault City quest).
KOTOR 2 also has some good Dark Side villainy,if you choose to pursue that path(contrast this to the silly and cartoonish "give me all your credits or else" villainy of the first Kotor).
Hell,you can sacrifice Visas during your fight with Nihilus to weaken him. As she lays dying at your feet,you can say something like "Did you think I would care enough to be beside you when you die? Then you were wrong - and I am pleased to kill that hope." Or "I want the last words you hear to be the hate I have for you." Fuck...

Toee allows you to massacre innocents with impunity(Chaotic Evil party in Hommlet,anyone?).
You can also force yourself(if party alignment is neutral or chaotic evil) on some poor prostitutes in a brothel in Nulb...
People will say Tyranny, but tbh the first PoE is far more fucked up. Examples are sacrificing companions at a blood altar for stats gains and feeding a little girl to a zombie.
And everyone here said PoE is shit? Damn wtf I wanna play it now.
PoE has flaws but if you like prose, it's actually an amazing game. The DLC are some of the best content out there, but even the base game is far more enjoyable than a lot of old RPGs. If you don't like reading though, you will be unhappy.

Pro tip: ignore talking to any NPC with a gold namebadge.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best one I can think of is Mass Effect for the giggles but it’s still clownish.
Mask of the Betrayer did it alright, and you get the best companion only if you are evil.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mask of the Betrayer did it alright, and you get the best companion only if you are evil.
What evil thing do you have to do to get Okku?
tbh it's been so long i barely remember that game, but you had to kill a bear (possible companion) or something, then to keep him you had to keep your reputation low and devour at least some souls, and that pissed other companions too. At least as far as I remember. Maybe I should replay it some time.

Konjad

Patron
tbh it's been so long i barely remember that game, but you had to kill a bear (possible companion) or something, then to keep him you had to keep your reputation low and devour at least some souls, and that pissed other companions too. At least as far as I remember. Maybe I should replay it some time.
Oh, Okku was the bear.

The companion I meant was One of Many

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh, Okku was the bear.

The companion I meant was One of Many
Yeah but Okku is the best companion.

BruceVC

Magister
In the Czech RPG Inquisitor you can absolutely become evil and align with the demonic forces and betray the church

I loved that game because of the dark narrative and ways you can become corrupted but I stayed on the side of the good guys of course :cool:

Ryan muller

Educated
Fallout 2 is the best at that with the only runner up being Tyranny

An example of what you could do in fo2 would be how you could plant a dynamite into a children's pocket and tell them to hug his father to show how much he loves him.

You could find a little girl's doll and rip it apart in front of her, trying to show how harsh reality actually was.

You could sell all of your companions as slaves,etc...

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Most of the devs use the bulk of their resources on making a proper "good" storyline (and often fail to finish even that lol) so "evil" one usually is an afterthought.

The best choice for playing such evil characters is roguelikes/procedurally generated games with little fixed storyline

Ruessio

Literate
VTMB as already stated in this thread.
Tactics Ogre, one of the first big choice you can make is to
murder an entire village as a false flag to accuse your enemies

mondblut

Arcane

Dominions. Whoever you play as, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by NOT being evil.

mondblut

Arcane
In Trudograd, you can convince a young man to move out of his mother's house.
By himself. Eventually you find him living homeless behind a trailer addicted to drugs. You can go back to his mother and inform him of this, who dies of a heart attack. Pick up some of the drugs he's addicted to, go back to him, and inform him of his mother's death. He says he wants some drugs, which you can trade for sex.

wow that... sounds totally creative and desirable. Who wants power in an RPG? Money, items, stat gains, killing people and making pacts with the devil for it? When you can solicit male crackwhores and give a mother the jumpscare of her life.

Muh nuanced evil!

Sounds disgusting.

Swap a man for a woman, though... :bounce:

Mauman

Scholar
VTMB as already stated in this thread.
Tactics Ogre, one of the first big choice you can make is to
murder an entire village as a false flag to accuse your enemies
Funny how you mention TO as that "evil choice" is
required for the best ending, especially if we're talking about the remake

Then again, Law Denim by far has the best story and character development.

muckguppy

Prophet
Pathfinder:WotR, first moral choice: Woman is half crushed under rubble, paladin asks you to help.
"Pay me"
Diplomacy check success,
Woman digs around for some money while being half crushed, pays you.

Paladin doesn't seem bothered.

What the shit is this?

Now, if I could kill the paladin then facefuck the bitch under the rubble, now we have a memorable decision.

* My point being games think your character asking for money/more money is the standard for eViL pC. I'm Jewish and I take that personally.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pathfinder:WotR, first moral choice: Woman is half crushed under rubble, paladin asks you to help.
"Pay me"
Diplomacy check success,

What the shit is this?

Now, if I could kill the paladin then facefuck the bitch under the rubble, now we have a memorable decision.

* My point being games think your character asking for money/more money is the standard for eViL pC. I'm Jewish and I take that personally.
alignment in wotr is completely meaningless, good = things devs approve of, evil = things devs disapprove of

at one point the paladin will chastise you for getting angry that people are robbing the dead

Ruessio

Literate
Funny how you mention TO as that "evil choice" is
required for the best ending, especially if we're talking about the remake
It's also required to get best girl.

Then again, Law Denim by far has the best story and character development.
And it's not even just Denim, Vyce has such a weird change of personality if you don't choose that option.

pickmeister

Learned
"Pay me"
Diplomacy check success,

What the shit is this?

alignment in wotr is completely meaningless, good = things devs approve of, evil = things devs disapprove of

at one point the paladin will chastise you for getting angry that people are robbing the dead
So the correct good alignment name is cuck?
And evil is chad alignment?
That almost makes it sound fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom