Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best console games of the last two decades?

Now that I own a computer capable of emulating pretty much everything, I want to emulate pretty much everything. What did I miss from the consoles panorama of the last 20 years? I'm looking for new experiences, so it's probably mostly stuff from PS2 era, when devs were still trying something new, with stuff like Forbidden Siren or Shadow of Memories, or perhaps Pikmin on Gamecube qualifies too. Honestly I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. "Best of the best" qualifies too, and I'm not going to shy away from the most frighteningly weaboo stuff if it brings great gameplay along.

KafkaBot

Scholar
^Kuon is great.

I'd also recommend Rule of Rose and Haunting Ground. Rule of Rose's gameplay is rather iffy, but there's a reason for it; also, it has phenomenal atmosphere.

DemonKing

Arcane
Bloodborne and Demon Souls are a couple of obvious choices if you're talking exclusives.

Cologno

Educated
Two decades? Ps2. Get yourself a Dualshock 4 (you can afford it your PC can emu decently) and go to town.

^Kuon is great.

I'd also recommend Rule of Rose and Haunting Ground. Rule of Rose's gameplay is rather iffy, but there's a reason for it; also, it has phenomenal atmosphere.
Rule of Rose is easily my favorite game ever made but it's hard to recommend if someone is new to survival horror or isn't super huge on the genre, which I would assume OP is if he hasn't played many console games.

With that in mind I'd recommend he start with Silent Hill 2 or 3, and if he likes them get into the more obscure titles afterward.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Two decades? Ps2. Get yourself a Dualshock 4 (you can afford it your PC can emu decently) and go to town.
There are tons of PS2 games with pressure-sensitive face button actions. Don't get a DS4 for PS2 emulation. I used a Retro Fighters Defender to play MGS3 again last year, the PS3 version. Should work with PS2 emulators as well. Had to get a separate adapter for it and open a program each time to get the pressure features to work in the emulator. I couldn't get my PS2 controller to work correctly, and PS3 controllers have poor build quality. The ergonomics of the Defender are worse. They designed L2 and R2 like shooter triggers and made L1 and R1 too slim to be in the style of the PS2. It makes no sense to style the top buttons more like Xbox when the controller was intended for PS2 users and the games on that platform that prioritized L1 and R1 over L2 and R2. It's not a bad controller, but I still hope PS2 controllers will get more support.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
there's like three ps2 games that use pressure sensitivity, and two of them are MGS2 and MGS3 which are on PC. just map it to triggers if you're desperate, i've finished both and it's alright.

which I would assume OP is if he hasn't played many console games.
not a fan of horror even when i was in perfect shape, since i had to add arrythmia to my list of fun quirks i had to cut out every kind of emotion. so no, horror games are out of question. i see many ps2 recommendations, that's sad.

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, all the Xeno games (Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade), all the Metroid Prime games, Super Mario Galaxy, and probably some more that I couldn't think of off the top of my head.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pushmo on the 3DS needs more love. It's a crazy little puzzle game where your object is to reach the exit by pushing and pulling oddly shaped blocks. It's somewhat hard to describe, but it's fairly addictive.

AndyS

Augur
The Mark of Kri is a pretty good PS2 third-person action game with a striking art style. It's like if Disney did Conan, but not for kids, just the clean animated art. You're still snapping guys necks and impaling stuff everywhere.

A lot of the Sega games of the period for PS2 and Xbox were at least interesting. Basically stuff that was originally intended for the Dreamcast that they moved to other systems.

3 others

Scholar
Fight Night Champion from the PS3 era is the best boxing game there is (yes, they finally surpassed 4D Sports Boxing in 2011). The champion mode with your plucky half-blood prince going against a super-aryan Ivan Drago -lookalike is hit and miss, but there's loads of other content with career modes and real-life boxers. And of course the meat of the game - those 3 minutes in the ring - is just brilliant.

Falksi

Arcane
Summoner 2 - PS2
The Warriors - PS2
Outrun 2 - PS2 & X-box
Sakura Wars - PS4
Nier Gastalt - X-Box 360
Lost Odyssey - X-Box 360
The Darkness - X-Box 350

Blutwurstritter

Learned
MadWorld(2009) on the Wii was great. One of the few "mature" Nintendo exclusives. But I don't know how well it translates to normal controls or if there is even an emulator for it.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Use cdromance for translations of all the shit that wasnt released back then, there's quite a few

On ps1 I like one called Racing Lagoon, it's an rpg and gran turismo hybrid that is unique

ps2
Screenshot (17).png

The metal saga's are cool that not many played and Front Mission 5 which isn't listed but unreleased in the west also Rogue Galaxy was a big rpg I didn't play back then that i'm just starting

Ps3 not many really that were exclusive but Gran Turismo 6 does work perfectly at this point on rpcs3

PSP I like the tactical Dungeons and Dragons one, one of the best, Star Trek - Tactical Assault and Jeanne D'arc, ttrpg

Xbox xenia emulator doesn't do much because there was mostly shit games and Armored Core 5 doesn't work still but it does have one of the best underrated gems
Viva Pinata - Trouble in Paradise

Switch right now i have (use softcobra for good links)
Golf Story
Fire Emblem Engage
Dragon Quest Monsters: Dark Prince
Mario+Rabbids kingdom battle
Monster Hunter generations ultimate
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Pikmin 4
Super mario Wonder, Odyssey, and Rpg
Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher
Unicorn Overload

Ash

Arcane
I've been trying to avoid this place but the wider internet is filled with casual echo chambers, absolutely disgusting clueless normies dominate even more than here, and I also got banned from a place or two for rightfully calling people retards :-D

So, 2000-2024?

Almost nothing, everything worthwhile is multiplatform or was at some point ported to PC (e.g Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners), or is otherwise sellout retard-pandering shit (e.g TLOU, Gears of War, FF7 Remake), or "good for what it is but not really worth the time" (Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima). There is only one console game on my radar from this timeframe I await to come to PC (or I otherwise lack the resources to emulate) and that is the obscure little AA PS3 production "Dead Nation", which is only notable as a co-op game. For the most part, you'll find decent quality in the PS2, but even then that was a slight decline over the 90s. Some gems though. The Xbox has almost nothing good exclusive to offer, that was the sellout PC dev machine. If you want good quality console games you have to mostly look to the 90s, particularly the PS1 and to a lesser extent the SNES. Sega consoles if you like arcade shit. N64 not so much but it has a small selection of good titles, most ported to the PC already.

Here, I'll give you my top ten PS2 games, in no particular order & excluding ports from PC:

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (Hack & Slash lite RPG)
Devil May Cry 1 (Hack & Slash)
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (Stealth)
Final Fantasy X or X-2 (JRPG)
Resident Evil 4 (Third Person Shooter)
Manhunt (Stealth)
GUN (Open World Third Person Shooter)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Action-Stealth)
Need for Speed: Underground 2 (Racing)
GTA: Vice City or San Andreas (Open World Mayhem)

Honorable Mentions for The Punisher and Hitman: Blood Money

Don't play the Final Fantasy games. While still variably good on their own merit they're a drop in standards from the 90s FF games (did you expect otherwise? 90s is king).
Metal Gear Solid 3 is better than you might think or have heard, if you're unfamiliar with the series. The gameplay, when it is actually there, is quite solid, good depth.
The original Devil May Cry is still the best DMC game, don't listen to cucks that claim otherwise. As an overall package it rocks. And it oozes quality non-cringey style by comparison.
Need for Speed UG2 will probably always be my favorite racing game for all its many nuances. Just be sure to play on hard mode and enable manual gear shifting so you don't fall asleep (racing games aren't very engaging. This is one of few that broke the mold).
GUN is better than Red Dead Redemption shit if you favor gameplay over cinematics, though it told a solid story in its own right. Its only crime is it was short (12 hours maybe, not bad at all. Not 40 hours of cinematics and otherwise retarded gameplay like RDR2).
Manhunt is simply a must-play stealth game, though is let down by lock-on shooting garbage in the latter third (you can force manual aiming, but the execution isn't ideal).
Onimusha: DoD is a wonderful, unique game. A bit weird stylistically, even for a Japanese game, but no big deal. Is let down by a singular, somewhat major thing (chain critical spam), but all around worth playing. Fun RPG elements, engaging puzzles, pretty good flawed combat, level design isn't half bad, quirky as hell story, some pretty good music.
Those two GTA games were the last good games in the series. Well, probably the ONLY good games in the series, and I started with the original. I can't really stomach them these days though, as my standards have been even more refined over the years. Maybe with mods but I've looked into it and not much progress seems to have been made in regards to gameplay. Typical graphics whoring shit.
Tenchu 3 was quite a step up mechanically & technically from the 90s games, but lost a significant touch of style, especially the music which in the first game is an absolute masterpiece. Still a must-play stealth game and probably the best game in the series regardless. A rare case of PS2 incline over PS1, even if two steps forward one back.
Resident Evil 4 is Resident Evil 4. If you haven't played it yet you must have been living under a rock.

A common theme with almost all these games is REALISM over abstract gameplay and concepts. But as I mentioned before, it wasn't overbearing/gameplay didn't become redundant until the next generation. PS2 is still good in my book.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's been a while since I played the God of War trilogy, but I remember the first two games being fucking great. I barely remember the third game, so I'm not going to vouch for it. Maybe the fact I've forgotten most of it says it all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom