Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best MARKSMANSHIP on RPG's

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In BG1 and IWD1 playing an archer feels like playing an invincible god: you shred your enemies to pieces and nobody can even hope to reach you. BG1 also has very powerful special arrows, nothing can hope to survive two rounds of acid arrows or, even worse, arrows of detonation.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wizardry 8 criticals make me sad because 4% maximum before weapon bonuses cannot compare to the 40% from the Wiz1, or the 20% before bonuses in 6-7.

I don't remember what are the item bonuses available for a ranger but if you get to 125 you gain 1% and there is at least a 4% insta kill bow (and probably some with a slightly higher bonus) so it wouldn't be that bad if monsters didn't have a double resistance against it, first, their level if it's higher than yours and i think divine resist plays a role too.

So, the problem isn't so much the low % crit number but rather the monsters innate resistance to effects ...

40% is way over the top though.

Dramart

Learned
One of the best things about New Vegas' shooting is the fact that guns do not shoot exactly where the crosshair is. Even at 100% Guns skill, each gun's crosshair is slightly off in a determined fashion. Gradually, you get used to your baby and know where to aim, which makes you feel real badass and expert, and it is like a sacred bond with your gun.

This feature was not well received by some, and there are plenty of mods that get rid of this feature completely. But hey, their loss.
That happens in Fallout 3. I didn't have that problem with New Vegas.

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim despite being very shallow as a rpg, allowing you to kill the Emperor and join in the Imperial Legion consequence free and having almost no character customization, has a interesting archery with many arrow types to choose, you can magically enchant your arrow, can use explosive bolts from crossbow and the range is pretty impressive

And then you can add Requiem.

Morrowind also has a satisfying archery gameplay
I remember covertly sniping a guy (1hk) just outside of Ald-Velothi from Ashalmawia.

Black Angel

Arcane
New Vegas's long range gun game dramaticly improves if you change the INI to allow actors to be drawn further away. The FPS hit is surprisingly light, but it enables a lot of things that should have been doable in the base game.
I don't remember getting to edit this specific part of the .ini files when modding the game back then. Which is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom