Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best of Ageod?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also national morale can make a lot of difference when its so high for you and so low for them.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Birth of Rome is now standalone. Meaning that entire idea of making Alea Jacta Est and expanding it with scenarios and bigger expansions has gone right out of the window. Welcome to the age of marketing and suits.

And yeah, I'd eat my hat if this wasn't because of Ageod merging with Matrix/Slitherine. The fucking EA of wargaming.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Apart from the fact that it would cool to have all the scenarios "there" when you open your game, I don't see the issue as the price of BOR Stand-Alone has not changed. For people who are not interested in Roman Civil Wars, this is actually good news.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I find it more questionable to release a game with 6 scenarios for this price. I mean they have their engine long done (they are simply upgrading it), most of graphic assets, why so much for so little? And new scenarios as dlc?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
20 € seems like a good price for me. The deal was "We release the game cheap, but "only" 5/6 scenarios and then you can fine-tune by buying additionnal scenarios for more €€€.
It became "20 € for the main game + a set of 5/6 scenario". Very honest IMO.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Apart from the fact that it would cool to have all the scenarios "there" when you open your game

I actually think you could just copy the scn files from game to game. At least for this version.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
How is Alea Jacta Est?

Is it worth it for the singleplayer alone? Not overly retarded AI?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
How is Alea Jacta Est?

Is it worth it for the singleplayer alone? Not overly retarded AI?

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=3824

Since the review it's been polished quite nicely. AI works quite well when set on Centurion level with all behaviours enabled and extra time given to think. Mind the steep learning curve though.

PS: There's a demo. I would also recommend AJE instead of stand-alone expansion BoR because the initial scenarios are to me at least more fun.

Ovg

Cipher
I LOVE RUS, but that might be due to my fetishistic love of white russian forces, plus the Pol-Bolsh war is there and Drang nach Osten is sooo kaiserriech (^x^).
ACW is a close second, but the recruitment system is a bit of a pain for me, as I much more prefer choosing the exact province where I deploy my new forces.
Alea Jacta Est is a tad too slow for me, as in there are no railways or anything like that to quickly move your troops ahead and I'm not really into Roman Empire.
PoN is boring, lags on my rig and I can't into economy.

20 € seems like a good price for me. The deal was "We release the game cheap, but "only" 5/6 scenarios and then you can fine-tune by buying additionnal scenarios for more €€€.
It became "20 € for the main game + a set of 5/6 scenario". Very honest IMO.

It's DLC. Don't we all hate DLC? I'd prefer to pay say 30, 40 € and get all content from start then buy scenarios for 7€ each.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Recently I tried replaying Birth of America II because I like the period and enjoyed several of the scenarios in the past. It really hasn't held up that great, with a lot of the scenerios so heavily event driven that there is little room for player input. Positive side is that a lot of community scenarios have been added to the core game, which really is neat. Bad side is that at least with the last patch the games mechanics have changed so much that many of these event driven scenarios simply don't work anymore. Even the tutorial was broken because it was designed for movement speeds that have since then changed a lot.

TripJack

Hedonist
Recently I tried replaying Birth of America II because I like the period and enjoyed several of the scenarios in the past. It really hasn't held up that great, with a lot of the scenerios so heavily event driven that there is little room for player input. Positive side is that a lot of community scenarios have been added to the core game, which really is neat. Bad side is that at least with the last patch the games mechanics have changed so much that many of these event driven scenarios simply don't work anymore. Even the tutorial was broken because it was designed for movement speeds that have since then changed a lot.
hmm?

the tutorial seemed to work just fine when i played it last night

TripJack

Hedonist
yes, the tutorial popups seemed to work just fine

the popups lead to stalemate though, as they don't instruct you to take charleston

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
They also were wrong about the movement speed of one of the stacks in my game. Leading to the scenario bogging down and ending shit. Meh, perhaps I'll give it another try after I'm done with AJE and BoR.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
It's DLC. Don't we all hate DLC? I'd prefer to pay say 30, 40 € and get all content from start then buy scenarios for 7€ each.

I don't hate DLC for the sake of hating DLC. I hate DLC when they cut content on purpose so you have to buy DLC later, all that while making you pay the full price the first time. I hate it even more when the DLC is extremely minor and so they try to play on the "completionnist" mind of many people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom