Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best PvP you ever saw

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Guild Wars 1

particularly TA, RA and AB formats

it was good because,

- there were 1300 skills
- 30+ skill types (blessing, chant, ritual, hex, condition, shout, signet, enchantment, trap, shout, well spell, weapon spell, etc.)
- you make your own skillbar via deckbuilding (like in Magic the Gathering)
- multiclassing
- skill hunting
- skill based gameplay (timing and twitch)
- remarkably devs didnt have to balance much, there was a counter to everything
- checkpoints, objectives, king of the hill

if you are sweating your armpits while playing you know its good

never saw anything like it since (maybe Ability Draft mode in Dota 2 comes close)

5l2r0xtv6oc71.png

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

El Presidente

Arcane
Well... you already answered it, it's Guild Wars 1.

Then Unreal Tournament and TF2 on second and third place but in no particular order between the two.

Eh, I’ve never had much interest in twitch-based PvP (and yes, that’s probably because I am bad at it). AoW, HoMM3, or Civ 2 on the other hand… well bring it on.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Conker's Bad Fur Day. Deathmatch, evasion, capture the flag, tank combat, heist and, if you get tired of all that, even combat racing.

Half Life deathmatch in crossfire map.
It's simple and fast.
Every gun is unique and OP.

and if you ever feel bored, activate the nuke!
all the tactics and memories already rushing into my mind I must install it now.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guild Wars 1 is easily my favorite too.
But I also had a lot of fun PvP in WoW before honor rank and dishonorable kills came. Large scale village battles that took an entire day in Tarren Mill and Crossroads.
Those were the days, before arena and battlegrounds.

Also Jedi Knight 2 PvP had really fun moments with only lightsaber and force maps.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Battlefield 1942 (and Desert Combat) was top shooter PvP. See that outpost ? You can run, crawl, drive, tank drive, fly, parachute or beach an aircraft carrier there. It sometimes (on more open maps) felt like a giant sandbox where improvisation and surprise were more important than pure skill, but you could still camp if you wanted to. Desert Combat had a feeling of power whatever equipment you were using. Every gun was powerful, every vehicle had its uses, it was all a war of movement, position, anticipation of the next hot flag to be or to avoid.

Mechwarrior Living Legends sometimes manages to evoke this feeling. Sometimes. Most of the time it is ok, or boring, but once it a while, it clicks and you have the real fight you didn't know you were craving for, the perfect one, that lasts and lasts and how good it is.
Then on the next round some moron uses aerospace asset or the map simply sucks and the players resume their grieving and harassment of newcomers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom