Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Turjan

Arcane
Why is Minecraft such an autist magnet?

My theory is that it's the overly rigid and yet logical structure of the game - everything is composed of blocks, everything acts according to strictly defined parameters, while pesky things like gravity and social interactions can be all but ignored.

And yet Terraria doesn't seem to have the same amount of autism in it - sure there's autism present, but to a far lesser degree. Is it the third dimension that does it, or the NPCs that Terraria has?

mystery.png
I think this is due to Terraria being first and foremost a game. There are people who build their palaces, and I also do that on a small scale if I feel like it, but there's always the game to go back to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bet not many realize they've been around that long. Ubi was pretty small-time until the Tom Clancy games and Prince of Persia.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you really want to be surprised (or feel old), check out how old Activision is.

Well #actually...the original Activision died and was rebuilt from scratch by Kotick in the early 90s as an essentially new company. They were also kinda small-time for a while after that, until Tony Hawk.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you really want to be surprised (or feel old), check out how old Activision is.

Well #actually...the original Activision died and was rebuilt from scratch by Kotick in the early 90s as an essentially new company. They were also kinda small-time for a while after that, until Tony Hawk.

Good point. If we were going just by the company name, then Atari has been alive and kicking for far too long, but it's been put down and resurrected several times IIRC.

pippin

they were a toy company back then. In fact until Mario they were still a normal toy company.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Nintendo's first arcade games were released in 1978 (or possibly a bit earlier), although Donkey Kong in 1981 was its first great success, followed by Mario Bros. in 1983. Then, Nintendo's Famicom console was released in Japan in 1983, and called the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America upon its 1985 release there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Frank Zappa on video games (1983 interview, in the context of arcade games): http://www.afka.net/Articles/1983-01_JoyStik.htm

JOYSTIK: Why did you consent to this interview?

FRANK: Because I don't have anything against video games and I do have something against people who keep kids from playing them.

JOYSTIK: Do you ever play them?

FRANK: No, but I love to listen to them. I like rooms full of that sound. It's a very interesting environment. When I was coming back from my European tour I had a layover in New York. I went into the video-game room at the airport and walked around with a tape recorder, recording the whole room going at once. Then I listened to it on earphones on the plane home. It was great. But I'm not interested in "plooking" buttons and blowing things up.

JOYSTIK: Do you think it fritters away quarters that could be better spent elsewhere?

FRANK: No, it's entertainment, and you have to pay for it. You just have to decide if the quarter you spend on a video game is worth the amount of fun you get out of it.

JOYSTIK: How about its effect on poorer families?

FRANK: If you had to choose between spending the afternoon in an unpleasant house with a bunch of other kids, where the family argues all the time, and the air conditioning doesn't work, even if you're poor you're gonna find the quarters to go play video games. If you don't have the quarters, you're gonna go hang out there so you can mooch a game from somebody or at least talk to someone, which will make you feel better.

That's the other thing about a video-game parlor: it's a gathering place, which lends a sociology to it that transcends what the games are. And if you're good at video games, it's okay to be smart. An arcade is one place where it's okay to show some intelligence.

JOYSTIK: In what way?

FRANK: Most people in America do everything they can to disguise the fact that they're intelligent. There's no other race of people on earth that wants to pretend so hard that they're stupid. That's because in high school you learn that if you're smart, you're not gonna get laid. The girls pretend just as hard as the guys. "Nobody wants to pooch a smartie." So you pretend to be dumb. Pretty soon, you're really dumb.

[...]

FRANK: I'll tell you the only problem with video games – the mentality of the people who are scared of them. Parents who won't let their kids play them. That's the crux of the biscuit.

MOON: There's now a law here that says you can't skip school to play video games. During the school year there's this one place that won't let anyone under 18 play them. I don't know anybody who would skip school to play a game of Pac-Man. It's so useless to even worry about it! I mean, get serri-oss!

(Moon excuses herself. She's going to her first Van Halen concert.)

FRANK: Listen. I don't like puzzles. I don't do games, don't do sports, don't do chess or checkers, don't do pingpong. I don't jog. But I think everybody should do that stuff if they want to. Same with video games. Any kind of electronic device that a kid can become friends with is good.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Nintendo's first arcade games were released in 1978 (or possibly a bit earlier), although Donkey Kong in 1981 was its first great success, followed by Mario Bros. in 1983. Then, Nintendo's Famicom console was released in Japan in 1983, and called the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America upon its 1985 release there.

Technically correct (the best kind of correct) but some quibbles. There was DKjr in 82 between DK and MB (with Mario as a villain). Just anecdotal evidence says I saw this game a lot more frequently than MB (though MB certainly seemed to have more 8bit ports) and even a little more than the first DK. The NES was only test marketed in in 85, it really came out nationwide in the US in 86, and even then really got rolling in 87-88.

pippin

You guys made me nostalgic.

:love::love::love::love::love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom