Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

deuxhero

Arcane
Hyper-quick history of rifle calibers for military use:

- late 19th century you get smokeless powder an' shit, everyone uses fuckhuge "full-power cartridges" like 7,92x57 Mauser or 7,62x54R on long-as-fuck-rifles
- WW1 everyone keeps using fuckhuge full power
- WW2 happens, Germans develop and deploy the first "Intermediate Cartridge" , 7,92x33 Kurtz, for the STG series of rifles, realizing that most combat is done on a range of about 300 meters and that with a smaller cartridge you can carry more ammo, control properly full auto in close combat and that you don't need a rifle that can shoot 1km away because no grunt is going to hit anything at that range
- Soviets get 7,92x33 Kurz captures in 42, they develop 7,62x39 (AK ammunition) for the same reasons
- Americans post WW2 are retarded and force all NATO to get a common full-power cartridge, 7,62x51, because they're retarded and no one can say no to the US
- Oh shit 7,62x51 isn't good for grunts, in the 60ies the Americans get out 5,56 (I know, .223 really but DETAILS) because at combat ranges they work the same, you can carry more ammo, control properly full auto in close combat and that you don't need a rifle that can shoot 1km away because no grunt is going to hit anything at that range
- Soviets get 5,56 and they develop 5,45x39 for the same reasons
- Cold War ends, nothing happens
- Memes today for 6,8mm polymeric ammo

Stopping power is kind of... memetic. For combat purposes at reasonable range with no optics (the vast majority of WW2 - Cold War combat) you have no chance to hit anything at 400+ meters and a full power cartridge is essentially only useless weight and can't control them in full auto properly. You use full-size stuff just for marksmen an' shit.

This is correct but missing one important part: When 5.56 was adopted the DoD cut corners and filled it with the wrong type of powder because government can't do anything right. As a result it gave 5.56 and its rifles a terrible reputation it took forever to lose.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
17 was what I got too. The ones with the faggy ` thing over the letters got me. I didn't know that drug companies were into diacritics. The 'don't learn to speak it, just swallow it' conspiracy goes much deeper than I thought.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
17 was what I got too. The ones with the faggy ` thing over the letters got me. I didn't know that drug companies were into diacritics. The 'don't learn to speak it, just swallow it' conspiracy goes much deeper than I thought.
Ever read the book "Bad Pharma" by Ben Goldacre? It's a pretty good overview of the scummy ways that drug companies manipulate research to make themselves look good.
Not Infowars type shit either, just outlines how they game/get around the peer-review process that pure-science research goes through.

Codex Year of the Donut
image.png

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Ever read the book "Bad Pharma" by Ben Goldacre? It's a pretty good overview of the scummy ways that drug companies manipulate research to make themselves look good.
Not Infowars type shit either, just outlines how they game/get around the peer-review process that pure-science research goes through.

Methylenedioxycyclopropylmethylamphetamine
Derivative form of MDMA. And yes, you'd have to be high to try and pronounce it correctly.

Nandrolone cyclohexanecarboxylate
Androgen steroid drug. Compound drugs sometimes take up more letters than actually exist so they make up new ones.

Talimogene Laherparepvec
Cancer drug. Also the name of an ancient Persian king.

These are fun. I'm gonna ask my doctor if I can get some hexawejfhnskdfbhiwehriwhriwerhtwiefhskdjxnv,xcv,mvxnvlxvno3o293u4923u42934u2394u2394u2393amine or least the generic version of it.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Former fighter pilot points out inaccuracies and sexual harassment in Battlefield 3 :salute:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
November events now also getting cancelled: https://blizzcon.com/en-us/news/23434523

AN UPDATE ON BLIZZCON

40IU1FO16RKO1586390047559.jpg

Hello Blizzard community,

Several weeks ago, I shared an update about our uncertainty around holding BlizzCon this year. Since then, a lot has changed . . . and a lot also hasn’t changed. During this time, we’ve had many discussions about what holding a convention could look like in light of all the health and safety considerations we’d want to make. We’ve also talked about different paths we could take, and how each one could be complicated by fluctuations in national and local health guidelines in the months ahead. Ultimately, after considering our options, we’ve come to the very difficult decision to not have BlizzCon this year.

We’re feeling deeply disappointed about this decision, and imagine many of you will feel the same. I truly love BlizzCon, and I know that’s a sentiment shared by everyone at Blizzard. We will sorely miss connecting with so many of you at the convention and “recharging our geek batteries” this fall.

But we will meet again!

We’re talking about how we might be able to channel the BlizzCon spirit and connect with you in some way online, far less impacted by the state of health and safety protocols for mass in-person gatherings. We’d want to do this as soon as we could, but given that this is new-ish territory and the different factors involved, it will most likely be sometime early next year. BlizzCon is also a stage for big esports events in Blizzard games each year, so we’re also looking into alternatives for supporting some of the high-level competition that would normally take place at the show.

We’ll tell you more about our plans as they develop—but in the meantime, we hope to see you exploring the Shadowlands, hanging out in the Tavern, pushing the payload (do it!), and wherever else in the Blizzard universes you may roam.

Stay safe and stay well,

Saralyn Smith
Whirlwind Barbarian, Executive Producer of BlizzCon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom