Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best Video Game Intro

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think this thread proves these old games had great CGI intros

nowadays we get cheap-looking, low effort graphic novel-style intros, with badly drawn 2D clip art characters

ferratilis

Magister
Clearly made by people who understand and love car culture, and appreciate its history.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Someone already posted Thief, so let's go these:

Possesioner is a shit game, but that opening's simply gorgeous.

Yu-NO's opening is simple, but I love the soundtrack, the atmosphere and

the fact that you need to go back to it to solve a puzzle.

Modron

Arcane
Yakuza main menu openings are terrible because they spoil 90% of the story beats in a couple of minutes since they are just clips of what's to come. Save them for after you beat the game.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the good ones are already posted, so I'll just add:

Now, a lot of the visuals are very :prosper:, and yes, it's just music over random fantasy scenes happening, but the music is very good and they fit it nicely with introducing the factions.
Other than the great soundtrack the game is not very good. It's based on a french comic, which was also not very good

3 others

Scholar
MSX Metal Gear 2 - a game that I've never played - has a really nice intro. Great tech spy tune, very fitting lo-fi pseudocode visuals. Really sets the mood for... what was it called again? "Tactical espionage action"?

Kojima nailed the Bond homage aesthetics on PS2 hardware with Snake Eater too, a rare instance where a vocal track fits in a vidya gayme.

biggs

Novice
Only game that I let the intro play every time

Legendary

Arthandas

Prophet
What immediately pops into my mind is Tekken 2/3 (still give me goosebumps) and original WoW intros:

Yu-NO's opening is simple, but I love the soundtrack, the atmosphere and
Mandatory brofist for YU-NO.

A lot of selections here are intros for great video games, but not necessarily great intro videos. You might have some nostalgia for them, but it doesn't make them great. For example, Ultima Underworld is one of the greatest and most influential games ever made, but the intro is ... nothing special.

Here are some really good intros:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom