Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bethesda fires back! Massive casualties reported!

Cassidy

Arcane
Black said:
As usual, oblivionites will believe that fpp and rt is new and gamers who have any idea of gaming history will call beth's talk bullshit.

http://wiggler.gr/wp-content/fanboy.jpg

Roleplay that spiderman's belt is a mudcrab's belt and he's with a Oblivion's official walkthrough.

bishop7

Novice
Brother None said:
This Bethesda rhetoric sounds oddly familiar

GameSpy: I would think some of them are just hostile to the idea of console games in general.

Chris Pasetto: Yeah, that's part of it. We've started to ... a lot of our focus has shifted. We put the stuff out there about the game and they can put whatever they want on their sites, but a lot of our focus has shifted to a different audience.

... perhaps more than they'd care to admit.

jasondragon

Novice
"If we screw this one up, there's probably not going to be another one"

-PH

I love it. :P

KevinV12000

Arcane
What really burns me about these kinds of stories is how programmed the supposed reviewers are. The very speech they adopt is fraught with assumptions and value statements.

Hence, action games (meaning, arcade games) are invariably described as "today's" games, which are "advanced" and use "state of the art" technology, whose mastery of the marketplace is a purely natural phenomenon related to "modern" gaming.

While, those who love computer gaming are cast as quasi religious zealots slavlshly demanding fidelity to every pixel placement circa 1987, with lots of laughable archaic words like "blasphemy" used to describe the supposed "hard core".

It's just so tiresome.

The bottom line here is that the coming of consoles moved the production market to make arcade games for the masses and our hobby is dying as a result. Like a movie fan who keeps going to the theatre hoping to see something of the creative spririt found in a Casablanca or a Seven Samurai and finds only the mass-marketed vapidness of today's "cutting-edge special effects" movie-like products, we keep going to the increasingly small shelf space at EBX hoping for a sign.

spacemoose

Erudite
so pick up your ass and make good games.

VD's iron tower, basilisk games and wolf mittag are carrying interplay's "by gamers for gamers" torch and instead of complaining, you should join them

Cassidy

Arcane
Spacemoose said:
so pick up your ass and make good games.

VD's iron tower, basilisk games and wolf mittag are carrying interplay's "by gamers for gamers" torch and instead of complaining, you should join them

This is exactly the kind of thing egocentric freeware indie developers say to people who complain about their games in their forums and that Bethesda fanboys says about those who complain about their god.

Chip said:
You need the four elements of abandonment here KC. Air, wind, fire, water

O really

It's Liar, Pimp and Firewater!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Futile Rhetoric said:
hitlermeloneq2.gif

He seems to have arrived at a "peak"; they always said he actually reached orgasm during speeches... :lol:

Cassidy

Arcane
fastpunk said:
Futile Rhetoric said:

He seems to have arrived at a "peak"; they always said he actually reached orgasm during speeches... :lol:

You have just added a new meaning to the expression "Oral sex". The difference is that it was a mass mindfuck there performed by this guy.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
You have just added a new meaning to the expression "Oral sex". The difference is that it was a mass mindfuck there performed by this guy.

...mass mindfuck and personal pleasure... that's an impressive feat!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Some saw the decision to move from isometric, turn-based gameplay to a more action-oriented, third-person game as an inevitable step. Technology has changed since Fallout debuted in 1997, so it stands to reason that a newer incarnation should take advantage of those advancements.
Hell, I don't even mind Bethesda doing FO3, and doing it the way they want. It wont be a game I will want to play but, sadly, they bought the rights so they can do whatever they want with it. If they choose to wipe their asses with it, I might not like it, but it is their right to do so. I just wish they'd be honest about it.
"We decided to do FO3 in first-person and RT because that is what we like, what we can do and what we think what the majority of gamers out there expect/want."

Instead we get:

"FO3 will be first-person RT because milk is white and I think Carthago should be destroyed."

Perishiko

Scholar
KevinV12000 said:
Hence, action games (meaning, arcade games) are invariably described as "today's" games, which are "advanced" and use "state of the art" technology, whose mastery of the marketplace is a purely natural phenomenon related to "modern" gaming.

Too bad it seems like it was just the other way around. Action games existed, people got frustrated by not being able to press buttons at the right time, or in the right sequence, ect. Then, as a direct result, turn based came about. People could now use their minds and strategize in ways never before conceved!

It was amazing to me. I absolutely hated the frustration of not having control over what i "wanted" to do, and what actually "happened" with the press of a button. It seemed as though the "skill" you needed was the exact thing that the computer could do with ease. The computer can always press combinations right without screwing up. The computer can press buttons at extreme speeds that my fingers would never of thought possible.

Turn based brought about nothing but pure greatness in my opinion. I loved games like battle ogre tactics, final fantasy tactics, and the selective bit of wizardry that i got to play, ect. I still enjoyed morrowind, which i bought at the same time as wizardry 8, but my favorite's will always be turn based games.

The difficulty in an action game comes from not being up to par with how fast you have to click buttons, or swing the camera around, or what buttons to press after eachother for the right "combo".

The difficulty from a turn based game comes from the actual strategizing, more then not, if it's a reasonably balanced game. How you make your character, and the things you decide to do in combat are what really counts.

Seboss

Liturgist
What is funny is how well Godwin's law applies to the Codex.

1. What is Godwin's Law?

Godwin's Law is a natural law of Usenet named after Mike Godwin
(god...@eff.org) concerning Usenet "discussions". It reads, according to
the Jargon File:

As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Seboss said:
What is funny is how well Godwin's law applies to the Codex.

1. What is Godwin's Law?

Godwin's Law is a natural law of Usenet named after Mike Godwin
(god...@eff.org) concerning Usenet "discussions". It reads, according to
the Jargon File:

As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
Godwin's Law applies well to everything.

Seboss

Liturgist
Futile Rhetoric said:
Godwin's Law applies well to everything.
Applying the Godwin's Law to everything needs a small adjustment.
Just replace Nazi by gay.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Chuck Cuevos: Yeah, you know. The PC sites, we basically don't talk to them anymore because they were so negative, and looking for things to jump on that we just stopped talking to them, stopped providing them things because all they did was turn it around and use it against us.
This is so true.

Acleacius

Novice
Pete, when's the last time you had a 33% approval rating in gaming polls, after 4-6 months of PR whoring, with only a year before release?

Oh, yeah Pete's feeling the pain!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom