Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better harware improves older games AI, tru story.

Far Cry was a fairly challenging FPS on the harder levels. And that was back when I had an older PC...

Clockwork Knight said:
Azrael the cat said:
Just a thought - could there be a speed issue, rather than an AI issue, about what's happening off screen? I.e. increased cpu speed giving less of a built-in 'delay' between the point where enemies spawn off-screen and the time when those enemies start shooting? I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm just throwing that out there.

Like the fucked up travel speed in Fallout 2 world map? Killap's patch fixed it, but it was crazy

That's exactly what got me thinking. I encountered a similar issue playing Bladerunner earlier this year - you had to use a cpu-slower program or else events would happen off-screen before your character could get there.

Azrael the cat said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Azrael the cat said:
Just a thought - could there be a speed issue, rather than an AI issue, about what's happening off screen? I.e. increased cpu speed giving less of a built-in 'delay' between the point where enemies spawn off-screen and the time when those enemies start shooting? I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm just throwing that out there.

Like the fucked up travel speed in Fallout 2 world map? Killap's patch fixed it, but it was crazy

That's exactly what got me thinking. I encountered a similar issue playing Bladerunner earlier this year - you had to use a cpu-slower program or else events would happen off-screen before your character could get there.

This has happened to games since gaming began. You used to have to use the MOSLO program to play older games on PC's. Would probably still work actually, except MOSLO was a dos program. Strangely, some games, even ancient ones, will work at the proper speed no matter how fast the CPU is.

Perhaps a programmer could point out what different coding, or workaround was put into the game that makes it always run as it should?

Melcar

Arcane
Can't we just like kill these people? Sacrifice them to some God or something. Maybe the RPG God so he can bring good games back.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Perhaps a programmer could point out what different coding, or workaround was put into the game that makes it always run as it should?
Yes. Some games even have frame limiter thing to avoid such problems, even as an option in settings. Note how map speed issue is never a problem in Fallout 1 although Fallout 2 uses the exactly same engine. Poor programming?
Such issue is of course not Far Cry's case as the power of 1 core/CPUs barely went up in the last 5 years compared to a huge jump of 1999-2004 (from 200-300 MHz to 2000-3000)

The Misinformation here is killer.... the game calculates the map speed on your cpu, and back in 1997/98 cpu's weren't all that fast, so when playing this game on a newer pc with a cpu over 1ghz, map travel tends to get fast, now this you'd think would be a good thing, but really it has a very big disadvantage, you have almost no chance to find any Random encounterers, not good but good news is there are a few ways to fix it:

Killap's lattest patch.

hmm

Panthera

Scholar
Blackadder said:

The difference is:

1) Update and render the game world based on an arbitrary time passing
2) Update and render the game world based on how much time has passed since the last update

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Mangoose said:
Where some of you people football refs in a previous life? I'm not spreading any bull or trying to make things up, everyone is entitled to an opinion!

Makes sense because before you had less fps so more time to react. Now that its faster you have less time to react so AI seems harder......

WAT

yes because thats totally how framerate works

snoek

Cipher
I also think the problem might be that the game is running at a much higher fps, had it happen with unreal tournament last time i tried it. It felt like a pinball machine.
If it's not the case with far cry he's probably imagining it... or they made the game harder when they patched it or something..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom