Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better harware improves older games AI, tru story.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Having got sick of the current crop of bloated eyecandy FPS's where gameplay is shorter than a Dwarves dick, I've gone back to some older games in my collection due to them not being completed in a couple of hours, and this is where I've noticed they are much much tougher to play now

I love this part: First he complains about short gameplay in modern FPS titles --- and then admits he has the attention span of a gnat!

racofer

Thread Incliner
Far Cry is totally old school, buddy. It's a game for hardcore players back in the day where multicores didn't exist and we had to live with just one for everything, and we had real RPGs like KotOR, with lots of depth and C&C, not this dumbed down consolized crap we live with nowadays.

Those were teh good'ol days pal.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well I suppose it'd be possible if the AI is coded to calculate the best action within a fixed time interval. But I don't think that's the situation here.

Reminds me of this post where a guy thought saving data to the hard drive made his laptop physically heavier.

This kinda reminds me of a comment on youtube which stated that "the A.I. in Crysis is too hardcore for his rig to handle and that's why the enemies act like idiots".

he probably accidentally set the difficulty to something other than easy. in some turn based strategy games, this might actually be true (see Disciples 2), since imposing a algorithm along the lines of: find solution. mark solution. check time. if time was short, use current solution to find better solution. mark solution. check time. etc. would actually make a lot of sense and not be incredibly complex to implement and thread. In an fps though? making them aim better of all things? dream on.

was i the only one who thought the AI in far cry was better than that in far cry 2 or crysis? :?

baronjohn

Cipher
BG2 had a slider on how much cycles it would use for pathfinding. The faster your CPU the smarter they were at getting around.

It's plausible that other games have that, and for other parts of the AI as well (although not aiming, which is trivial).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Well I suppose it'd be possible if the AI is coded to calculate the best action within a fixed time interval.
The microscope puzzle in The 7th Guest works that way. The AI is dumber than a brick if you have a 386 CPU, but it almost never makes a mistake on modern PCs.

Norfleet

Considering that one of the earliest applications FOR computers was the Aimbot, back before computers were even electronic, aiming in a video game is not something that will be improved by a more powerful CPU. Computers were hitting targets at longer distances than are seen in typical video games before we even had video.

ever

Scholar
racofer said:
Far Cry is totally old school, buddy. It's a game for hardcore players back in the day where multicores didn't exist and we had to live with just one for everything, and we had real RPGs like KotOR, with lots of depth and C&C, not this dumbed down consolized crap we live with nowadays.

Those were teh good'ol days pal.
You know that's exactly what all of codex sounds like just time period -10 years

MetalCraze

Arcane
Better precision during shooting = better AI now?

And yes compared to games we have today which try everything to not let the player suffer for his mistakes - Far Cry will indeed seem like a hardcore, harsh and unforgiving experience.

The games all run perfectly well, but become frustrating because of the deadly accurate enemy AI. These games played fine on lower hardware like my older single core XP1900+ with 1GB ram and an ATI X850, but on my quad core + SLI + 6GB ram it's a nightmare.
No that's because next-gen games made you retarded.

Just a thought - could there be a speed issue, rather than an AI issue, about what's happening off screen? I.e. increased cpu speed giving less of a built-in 'delay' between the point where enemies spawn off-screen and the time when those enemies start shooting? I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm just throwing that out there.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It can affect their reaction time - yes. But the game has to be really old for that (i.e. made for old CPUs) - with Far Cry it is not the case because since 2004 CPUs didn't become ten times more powerful.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Moore's law failed back in 2004, hence multi-core systems. Single-core by itself is still not much more powerful than a single-core CPU of 3-4 years ago, certainly not exponentially.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
I'm gonna try out Pacman on my 1337 machine! :shock:

Of course the AI is better the older it is, it's not called Intelligence for nothing. It isn't scripted at all, teh computer really thinks! It's got brainnsss to enjoy the zombiekids.

Azrael the cat said:
Just a thought - could there be a speed issue, rather than an AI issue, about what's happening off screen? I.e. increased cpu speed giving less of a built-in 'delay' between the point where enemies spawn off-screen and the time when those enemies start shooting? I've got no technical knowledge of computers, so I'm just throwing that out there.

Like the fucked up travel speed in Fallout 2 world map? Killap's patch fixed it, but it was crazy

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Where some of you people football refs in a previous life? I'm not spreading any bull or trying to make things up, everyone is entitled to an opinion!

Makes sense because before you had less fps so more time to react. Now that its faster you have less time to react so AI seems harder......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom