Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Beyond Shadowgate

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Released

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I liked the original albeit it was short and hard

By the numbers this one is considerably bigger (250 rooms)

Also here's the map

BSG-Digital-Map.png

KafkaBot

Scholar
Is the original worth it for someone who has never played it before? This game seems to be right up my alley, but I've seen some describe it as a being a death simulator centered on trial and error gameplay with a paper-thin story. How accurate is that assessment?

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Loving it so far. It captures that old magic of Shadowgate quite well. The soundtrack isn't as strong as the original, but it's good. The puzzles are easier so far but I'm only 20% through.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Is the original worth it for someone who has never played it before? This game seems to be right up my alley, but I've seen some describe it as a being a death simulator centered on trial and error gameplay with a paper-thin story. How accurate is that assessment?
It's a tough recommend if you never played the original long ago. If you are a hardcore point and click fan, go for it. But the torch mechanic adds a timer of sorts that can be frustrating because some of the puzzles are obtuse and take a while to figure out. The 2014 remake is a bit more forgiving and you can get rid of the torches if you want.

KafkaBot

Scholar
It's a tough recommend if you never played the original long ago. If you are a hardcore point and click fan, go for it. But the torch mechanic adds a timer of sorts that can be frustrating because some of the puzzles are obtuse and take a while to figure out. The 2014 remake is a bit more forgiving and you can get rid of the torches if you want.
Thanks! I was eyeing the 2014 remake (it is currently on sale on GOG), so I guess I'll just buy it and give it a whirl. If nothing else, I absolutely love the aesthetics of the original and the remake allows me to play with those, so I'll at the very least get some eye candy out of this.

Dr1f7

Scholar
oo cool i liked the other shadowgate game tho I got stuck pretty early on, it has cool art style

this new one looks nice too

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

anybody play these remasters of the nes versions? I heard it's actually pretty good.. the macventure series on steam are really bad and are just ROMdumps I think. this seems like they are remakes and let you use a mouse, among other QOL features...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom