Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG&E for 5 dollars on Steam

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
fizzelopeguss said:
Very charming game.

Hearing that they're making a sequel is one of few things that's giving me hope about future computer/video-gaming.
But, I heard you can hotkey multiple buildings at the same time and that there will be rainbows.
it's just another one of those omg everyone must play games wank reviewers like to hype like shadow of the colossus not really alll that good
No

J1M

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
J1M said:
The story fucking jumps a shark at the end.

Also, a great title for a game wasted on a platformer with nothing to say.

gtfo12zb1.jpg
Oh I guess you liked the part where people got magic powers for no reason and fixed everything with magic.

How do I hide all posts by a user?

Shoelip

Arbiter
J1M said:
Oh I guess you liked the part where people got magic powers for no reason and fixed everything with magic.

What the crap are you even talking about?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Wait, are you talking about that one part where Jade finds out she's an alien power source or something and uses her power to bring her uncle back from the dead? That... wasn't really "people" just one person, and it didn't really fix "everything" just her uncle, sort of.

J1M

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Is that what happened? I never really got the ending to that game, I thought it was an "explained in sequel" thing.
It was Deus Ex Machina of the worst sort.

J1M

Arcane
Shoelip said:
Wait, are you talking about that one part where Jade finds out she's an alien power source or something and uses her power to bring her uncle back from the dead? That... wasn't really "people" just one person, and it didn't really fix "everything" just her uncle, sort of.
Was this an attempt to trivialize my objection because it fails utterly.

J1M

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I wouldn't call it much of a deus ex machina, the only reason they killed the pig off in the first place was to reveal Jade's MAGIC ALIEN POWERS by having her bring him back.
They could have just not killed the pig then. It seemed pretty clear to me that they wanted an emotional moment, but someone pussed out and decided to reverse it 5 minutes later.
If you don't think that is deus ex machina, you really need to go look up what it means.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's not really a deux ex machina: the plot isn't stuck and the situation isn't solved by an external element. Also Jade's nature isn't suddenly revealed out of the blue because you had an hint of it at the start of the game even it isn't addressed until the end.

The DXM, outside of its Greek origins where it was litteraly a god or some other powerful figure that solved the stuck plot at the end, is an artificial and/or improbable device that serves to solve the difficulties of a plot, clearly not the situation at the end of BG&E. Besides it is show as having consequences at the very end of the credits.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Jeff Graw said:
Damn you jimbob! Heard of spoiler tags?

Woops, sorry. It's not really a big plot point, though, don't worry too much - it happens out of nowhere and then gets resolved in the space of about five minutes, and everything's back to normal as if it never happened at all.

If you don't think that is deus ex machina, you really need to go look up what it means.

I do know what a deus ex machina is. Gragt saved me the trouble of explaining.

However, I did slightly suspect the same thing about it being an emotional moment they wanted that they then pussied out of - but since the death and the resurrection happened within about five minutes of each other, I find it more likely that they just wanted a situation that was suitably emotional/dramatic to reveal Jade's powers in. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was pretty stupid anyway, but you blew it way out of proportion in your original post.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Yeah it still wasn't very clever, I grew attached to the characters and I remember how I felt when what happened happened... and five minutes later it is solved, that felt cheap. Still the very end of the game shows that it could bring bad consequences for later.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hm, my theater teacher told me that a Deus Ex Machina is literally a machine carrying a god. It's a crane that lowers the actor playing a god onto the stage.

J1M

Arcane
Shoelip said:
Hm, my theater teacher told me that a Deus Ex Machina is literally a machine carrying a god. It's a crane that lowers the actor playing a god onto the stage.
Yeah, meanings change over time.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Shoelip said:

That's the first sense of it, the "god out of the machine": I mentioned the Greeks making a god appear to solve the complety blocked situation, this god was a human-sized doll or a real actor that was lowered on the scene with a crane, reinforcing the feeling that the plot was indeed solved by an external element.

Lumpy

Arcane
J1M said:
DefJam101 said:
J1M said:

gtfo12zb1.jpg

So you want to Ignore the only black poster on the Codex?
Are you racist or something?
BTW the Ignore feature was removed anyway, you racist fuck.

J1M

Arcane
Lumpy said:
J1M said:
DefJam101 said:
J1M said:

gtfo12zb1.jpg

So you want to Ignore the only black poster on the Codex?
Only after reading his posts.

DefJam101

Arcane
Calm down there, hotshot.

I tried to defend a game in one thread, realized that I was probably wrong, said so, and since then you've been butthurt about it. Why the hell are you butthurt? You should be butt, happy... or something. It doesn't make half of your posts any less stupid because you 'PWNZORDED!!!1' someone in another thread with the powers of The Matrix. Get over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom