Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock demo is out

Zetor

Arcane
I finished it too... overall I liked it, and will replay it in hardmode soon (my first playthrough was on normal difficulty), I'm going to make better use of the camera too this time. :p

It really annoyed me just how 'plain' the FPS gameplay felt. There is no leaning / going prone, most weapons / plasmids are just direct damage dispensers (though some have environmental effects). Honestly it felt like a throwback to the System Shock 1 days (and even SS1 had leaning!). I also never really ran out of ammo; while the maximum ammo levels are set pretty low, it's easy enough to buy/invent ammo as needed, or just use any of the other weapons for a while.
Ditto with the hacking minigame -- it's fun the first 10 times, but just tedious (and almost risk-free) afterwards. Since hacking is permanent, it's REALLY powerful on cameras/turrets, which makes the tedium even worse.
On the other hand, there is some really cool stuff you can do with plasmids [enrage, telekinesis, various burn/freeze/shock combos, etc], and the research camera "minigame" is a lot better than compared to SS2's research. It also helps that every weapon/plasmid is useful, unlike Shock2.

Story-wise, it was pretty solid up to about 2/3 of the game, the LOL SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE moment was pretty well-executed too, imo. Sadly it became a slightly better version of formulaic_fps_plot_9182 after that. I still liked it, but the endsequence was definitely not the high point for me.

Choices... there weren't really any (were there any choices in SS1 or SS2?). You DO get slightly more Adam by harvesting the little sisters, but the rewards you get by rescuing them instead are almost as good. I saved every LS and had more than enough Adam to buy the plasmids/tonics/upgrades I wanted.

So yeah. Play this as a FPS-with-a-story and it's pretty awesome (best one I've ever played, actually); play it as a RPG, and be disappointed. I'm a bit annoyed by some of the design decisions 2k made, but what can ya do?

-- Z.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Look.
I don't want to play it as an FPS or an RPG. I want to play it like I did SS1 or SS2 which is more like "First Person Adventure with few puzzles and combat in nice atmosphere and rich story".

Does it have that? Also, I am a sucker for nice architecture, does it have that?

Dark Matter

Prophet
Azarkon said:
Finished the game. Story and writing were both better than I expected; gameplay was slightly deeper than your average FPS; "role-playing," given how much they hyped it up, was worse than I expected.

To be fair, was it really that hyped? Now that I think about, Irrational explicitly stated that it is a FPS, not an RPG or a FPS/RPG hybrid.

EDIT: But then again with all that talk about it being a spiritual successor to System Shock, I can see where you're coming from.

Zetor

Arcane
Even then, System Shock 1 wasn't a RPG (cue 50 pages of 'omg whats an rpg?//' debate). System Shock 2 had RPG elements, but 1 was pretty much a [very] advanced FPS...

-- Z.

Azarkon

Arcane
Well I did put the "role-playing" in quotes... To me, the hype was mostly with regards to TEH MORAL DILEMMA, which was emphasized in at least half if not more of the trailers, but turned out not to be a dilemma at all in that the rewards for saving the Little Sisters were easily on par with harvesting them. You got like, what, 80 Adam if you saved and 160 if you harvested - but then received 200 Adam for each 2-3 sisters that you saved, plus ammo & med kits, plus bonus tonics/plasmid powers? You were decked out either way so the "personal cost" of doing the good thing wasn't much of a cost at all, thereby eliminating the entirety of the "dilemma" and turning it into a standard good vs. evil (= psychopath/retard) decision that you made just to see the different endings.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Azarkon said:
thereby eliminating the entirety of the "dilemma" and turning it into a standard good vs. evil (= psycopath/retard) decision that you made just to see the different endings.
Erm, what makes you say that? Both choices seem reasonable.

obediah

Erudite
Zetor said:
(and even SS1 had leaning!).

That brought back some wonderful memories of me contorting the positioning of the character in SS to get a line-of-fire on some scary monster that was going to eat my face.

My twitch skills are so bad, that I end up being forced to roleplay the cowardly sniper in every FPS. :)

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Harvest: 480 Adam after 3, Rescue: 240 after 3 and gift of 200 plus useless plasmids and ammo you're already full up on. Consequences for your choice, the sucky 30 second ending is different.

Azarkon

Arcane
Dark Matter said:
Azarkon said:
thereby eliminating the entirety of the "dilemma" and turning it into a standard good vs. evil (= psycopath/retard) decision that you made just to see the different endings.
Erm, what makes you say that? Both choices seem reasonable.

What's so reasonable about the "evil" choice? You get nearly the same rewards either way, so the only reason you'd harvest the Little Sisters is if you just felt like killing them. It's brutality for brutality's sake - aka not a moral dilemma.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Zetor said:
Not any more obvious than Polito in SS2.

Partly disagree on that one at least for this particular scene (can't write much about the rest of course).

SS2 never made the mistake to make his seemingly supportive character encourage the player to actions which might cause ethic doubts, as far as I can remember. This is almost always an indicator that you're consulting one of those self-pretentious assholes that will turn on you sooner or later because, as you might already know, the game world could implode if it features 'good' characters that suggest doing bad things (revealing their personal flaws). Except it is one of those classy 'We have no choice!' scenarios.
But this moment remembers me of those cartoonish subconscious struggles with little angles and devils spinning around your head arguing what to do. You can clearly separate the one from another. Not a good way to present 'natural' morale ambitions of characters if you ask me. If this Atlas would be less pushing about it (Instead of "They are but resourceful Untermenschen. Kill 'em! Kill them all!" maybe "You *might* need to do this to stay alive. But it's your choice." and more stress out the later part) that might have done the trick.

Zetor

Arcane
You'll see why they chose this approach after you get 2/3 through the game. :P

Anyway, Atlas isn't really an "evil" character... he's just a dude who wants to flee the place with his family [and you presumably] while having a 'gotta be rough to survive around here' attitude. Polito is a haughty emotionless exec who keeps yelling at you to 'stop standing around' when you are doing something wrong and "good dog, have a scooby snac-- er I mean some cybermodules" when you are doing something right.

-- Z.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, I've bought the game friday and frankly I'm having a blast with it. So far it's been a very atmospheric romp through a decaying former utopia. It has a lot of the feel of the old ss2, though it all feels a bit more polished and streamlined. Ofcourse one can always nitpick about things (like this thread shows), but so far it's the first fps in ages that has me playing at every opportunity and loving every minute of it.

I'll check this thread again when I finish the game, don't want to spoil it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom