Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

abija

Prophet
Finally gave video streaming a quick whirl. Due to bandwidth and CPU limitations the quality isn't that great, but it's mildly tolerable and doesn't have the hard drive issues recording video does.
If you just stream to bypass fraps raping your hdd, you should use the streaming software to save local copies. You should be able to go to 5 000 or even 10 000 max bitrate with minimal impact (windows says the 720p 25fps fraps is 275 000 bitrate). Then upload directly to youtube or w/e.
The quality will be quite a lot better than going on twitch with low upload (even if you have very good upload pretty sure twitch throttles unless you are a featured streamer or w/e is called).

You could also try MSI afterburner for capturing, mjpeg at 75% is like 25-30 000 bitrate iirc, still 8x smaller than fraps :p

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have a question.

So the floating city floats because of "quantum mechanics." There's an info video that even says "how does it float? rockets? balloons?!", yet no, quantum mechanics. So can I ask why the fuck we see that the city clearly has both rockets and balloons underneath its islands?
Balloons and propellers are there to make a Laputa reference, IMO: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RBJcnnCfx...bE-Y/s1600/laputa-castle-in-the-sky_08812.jpg
I thought it was there to make citizens feel like they're living in a fairy tale.

Furthermore, Booker clearly has the distinctive AD mark on his hand. You'd think that...
a moron would put a fucking glove on it already.

Multi-headed Cow

Finally gave video streaming a quick whirl. Due to bandwidth and CPU limitations the quality isn't that great, but it's mildly tolerable and doesn't have the hard drive issues recording video does.
If you just stream to bypass fraps raping your hdd, you should use the streaming software to save local copies. You should be able to go to 5 000 or even 10 000 max bitrate with minimal impact (windows says the 720p 25fps fraps is 275 000 bitrate). Then upload directly to youtube or w/e.
The quality will be quite a lot better than going on twitch with low upload (even if you have very good upload pretty sure twitch throttles unless you are a featured streamer or w/e is called).
Hmmm, I actually tried that and it spit out a reasonably sized file, but the performance was sputtery as shit. Way, WAY more stutters than what I was getting streaming directly (In the video itself, not in the actual gameplay which was about the same mostly playable as streaming.). Not entirely sure why.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So it's another shit game that the Totally Not Corrupt and Professional Gaming Journalists are just fapping about because they're a bunch of retards? Or is it actually worth playing?

aris

Arcane
Furthermore, Booker clearly has the distinctive AD mark on his hand. You'd think that...
a moron would put a fucking glove on it already.

:lol:
They aren't meant to be nukes, they are meant to be crowd control
Oh, so you're saying they intentionally made all your attacks feel flaccid?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

And trust me, they're just as flaccid fully upgraded as they are bare.
Return back to sender has the potential to insta-kill almost anything if you soak up enough bullets. It's an FPS dipshit, firepower is supposed to come from the weapons, not from tactical aids.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So it's another shit game that the Totally Not Corrupt and Professional Gaming Journalists are just fapping about because they're a bunch of retards? Or is it actually worth playing?
It's a decent rooty tooty point and shooty with pretty good art assets and a mediocre story which can't decide whether or not it wants to be about revolution and serious social and religious issues or time travel and alternate dimensions.

Diablo169

Arcane
The reason game journalist's are masturbating over the game so much is quite simple. Compare it to every other shooter to come on in the last 4-5 years. It's not an amazing game, its just less shit then everything else.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Alpha Prime is 1000 times better shooter game than this crap.

Also, I've just finished it. What a pretentious nonsensical pile of shit, no wonder people are getting wet over this game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just finished the 3,5 hour story video on YT and I suddenly want to go back in time and smother Levine in the crib magnetize all media containing the original Half Life. Fuck story focused shooters.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The reason game journalist's are masturbating over the game so much is quite simple. Compare it to every other shooter to come on in the last 4-5 years. It's not an amazing game, its just less shit then everything else.
I disagree. Even as shitty as modern shooters are, I found Infinite to be remarkably bad. Compare it to, say Halo: Reach, a thoroughly mediocre AAAWESOME game. Reach has:

1 - way better AI. Infinite's enemies either a) run straight at you, or b) stand stock still until you peek out and shoot them in the head.
2 - better movement. I didn't get stuck on scenery constantly, sidestepping didn't feel like shit, jumping had a purpose, aiming was smoother.
3 - more variety in tools, ie guns, abilities, vehicles. Infinite has a small handful of guns and few functionally similar magic spells. and those stupid fucking rollercoaster things, I guess.
4 - more variety in enemies. Every enemy in Reach has a different tactical purpose, 95% of enemies in Infinite are various flavors of the policeman from the beginning.
5 - more open level design. lol "emergent gameplay", fuck you Ken Levine.
6 - less offensive hand-holding. it was there in Reach, sure, but in Infinite the game literally paused a fucking miniboss fight to explain to me what button to press for the easiest way to to kill it, on fucking hard mode. not to mention that there's a button that not only points you in the right direction but maps out on the actual ground exactly where you should step next. you can press a button to *look* at the awesome scripted bullshit, because Ken Levine doesn't expect his audience to be capable of paying attention.
7 - less bullshit story. the story in Reach is equally shit, there's just a lot less of it.
8 - less retarded art design. original Bioshock had great atmosphere and really iconic enemies and locations. if you've seen the trailer for Infinite, you've seen enough. Reach was bland but not annoying.
9 - better sound design. maybe this is a nitpick, but when enemies are three rooms away in Infinite, it can sound like they're right next to you. it really sucks for a first person game where you're relying on those cues to inform you of enemy locations.

I didn't like Reach, but at least they were trying to make a fun game, not just a vehicle for some garbage cinematic story. Plenty of better FPSes came out in the past five years. Syndicate, Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter 2, Brink, Rage, Human Revolution, Dead Island, Dishonored, Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena, Metro 2033 - just off the top of my head. Not that any of those are great games, Bioshock: Infinite is just spectacularly bad.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Technically a game can be considered an FPS even if the camera angle is third person.

Do tell how, please.

First person from a narrative and control perspective. "You" are being talked to by other characters, and "you" are controlling "yourself", which makes something first person. The distinction between a shooter in third person camera and a shooter in first person camera is basically irrelevant anyway (and good games should allow you to pick which camera angle you like) , so you may as well refer to them both as FPS.
This is definitely somewhere in top10 of the most retarded things I ever read in my life and so far the strongest contender for the title of the most retarded thing of 2013.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game isn't as bad as a lot of you are saying it is and it's not nearly as good as what everyone else is saying it is either. I would write an Official Codex Review giving much more detail but alas the game is not an RPG.

If you write a good review, I will publish it (and then go grab some popcorn).

I almost got DU to do it (he wrote the Codex official Bioshock review), but 2K didn't want to give us a review copy. :cool:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

This pretty much. It's not that great but it's also nowhere near the shit show some paint it as in response. It's a decent linear shooty-shooty in a pretty world with a half-interesting story. Take it or leave it. If you say leave it I harbor no ill will what-so-ever, but my standards are slightly lower as I like exploring pretty worlds.

P.S. Saying Syndicate was better is insanity.

Truly the amount of masturbation over the ending is astounding. On a storytelling level it's the equivalent of Rocks Fall and Everyone Dies Infinite Universes.

Technically a game can be considered an FPS even if the camera angle is third person.

Do tell how, please.

First person from a narrative and control perspective. "You" are being talked to by other characters, and "you" are controlling "yourself", which makes something first person. The distinction between a shooter in third person camera and a shooter in first person camera is basically irrelevant anyway (and good games should allow you to pick which camera angle you like) , so you may as well refer to them both as FPS.
This is definitely somewhere in top10 of the most retarded things I ever read in my life and so far the strongest contender for the title of the most retarded thing of 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_narrative

Luzur

Good Sir
They were smart to include the companion stuff though. I'm pretty sure that aspect of the game alone took what would have been considered an average 7/10 game by the gaming media up to a fantastic/majestic/revolutionary 9/10 or 10/10 game.

well everyone i seen so far is praising Elisabeth's AI to the high heavens.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Truly the amount of masturbation over the ending is astounding. On a storytelling level it's the equivalent of Rocks Fall and Everyone Dies Infinite Universes.

Do tell how, please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_narrative
"First Person" in FPS describes camera perspective only, as narrative mode is irrelevant when defining computer game genres. E.g. Diablo uses first person narrator - are you going to call it first person or isometric ARPG?

Raapys

Arcane
They were smart to include the companion stuff though. I'm pretty sure that aspect of the game alone took what would have been considered an average 7/10 game by the gaming media up to a fantastic/majestic/revolutionary 9/10 or 10/10 game.

There's not much AI there. They've decent pathfinding( think I just managed to lose her three-four times, and she quickly teleported back), and there's some cosmetically interesting stuff like having her lean against walls and check out stuff lying around, which makes her feel more alive than what most games have managed. However, she's immortal and isn't actually targeted by enemies at all. Often she'll seek cover right in front of a dozen guys shooting at you.

Take away the cosmetic stuff and it's not really different from other modern games with AI companions. But the cosmetic stuff really is quite good.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's not much AI there. They've decent pathfinding( think I just managed to lose her three-four times, and she quickly teleported back), and there's some cosmetically interesting stuff like having her lean against walls and check out stuff lying around, which makes her feel more alive than what most games have managed. However, she's immortal and isn't actually targeted by enemies at all. Often she'll seek cover right in front of a dozen guys shooting at you.

Take away the cosmetic stuff and it's not really different from other modern games with AI companions.

So, all window dressing and no substance? Shocking, in this game.

Luzur

Good Sir

Take away the cosmetic stuff and it's not really different from other modern games with AI companions. But the cosmetic stuff really is quite good.

well i told the same to a guy over at youtube who said she was the next gen of game AI, and got rude swearwords in reply.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

What on earth is there to praise about her AI? She's invincible in combat, enemies don't even shoot at her (they probably read the script that she's in god mode), does nothing else than runs around in combat and tosses the very occasional hp/mana bottles. Unless you count facial animation as AI.

Bony

Learned
Queued
+1 only gaysun is a retarded one line shitposter from the mods.

aris

Arcane

What on earth is there to praise about her AI? She's invincible in combat, enemies don't even shoot at her (they probably read the script that she's in god mode), does nothing else than runs around in combat and tosses the very occasional hp/mana bottles. Unless you count facial animation as AI.
There's AI in the path planning that is used so that she constantly stays out of your way, but it's not too much to write home about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom