Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BioSynth: Rising - a turn-based sci-fi isometric RPG

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neptunegames/biosynth

https://neptunegames.net

https://turnbasedlovers.com/games/biosynth-rising/

BioSynth: Rising is a single-player classic RPG, with an isometric view and the ability to switch to third-person and a combat system inspired by Divinity Original Sin. Soon on Kickstarter

biosynt-rpg.jpg

ABOUT THE GAME
SETTING
The game has a Sci-Fi setting, with some elements from Cyberpunk and Biopunk. Robots play a key role in the world: they have free will and even have recognized rights, on par with human.

CHARACTERS
You start by creating your character and then, during your explorations in the game, you can encounter and recruit some companions. Your party group can be made of up to 4 characters (including your own).
During character creation, you can assign your attribute points and pick your class – which will affect the skill trees available and other aspects of the game. Currently, the name of 3 of the classes is publicly shared: bounty hunter (a character who uses technology to hunt its prey), surgeon (a skilled healer and buffer/debuffer), and hacker (an expert in manipulating devices and robots).

Surgeon-819x1024.png

COMBAT
There’s a very strategic turn-based combat: character positions in the environment, height, party group compositions, destructible objects, and skills allow to differentiate each combat.

OTHER FEATURES
There are a few other features that will be discussed at a later date, like reputation system, branched dialogs, subquests, and bounties.

BountyHunter-819x1024.png

ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
Before artists and developers, they are players – just like you. And they are fully independent, there isn’t any investor who will decide about their game. Because of these two reasons they are able to create a game truly driven by passion and not by money.

THE TEAM
A small team of 7 focused, dedicated and passionate people. Before onboarding a new team member, they make sure that he/she fits with other team members, shares the studio values, and has a strong passion for his/her job other than checking his/her skills. This makes them very competitive even with a small team size.
RELEASE DATE & PLATFORMS
BioSynth: Rising will be a PC game with a Kickstarter campaign that will start soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah there just weren't enough media properties with negresses, dangerhairs and bad writing around, good of BioSynth to deliver.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Combat video:

BioSynth: Rising is a party-based classic RPG with turn-based combat, in a Sci-Fi world. You'll enjoy a deep strategic combat thanks to the following elements:
- Many castable skills
- Different AIs for the enemies
- Verticality and a variety of battlegrounds
- Environmental interactions
- Many possible party compositions (both yours and your enemies'one)

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Sorry but I don't see anything interesting or unique about this game; it just looks very generic and uninspired.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

BioSynth: Rising is a Sci-Fi RPG with turn-based combat. We're taking a lot of care about the lore and the characters, as you can see from these two robot models we're showing here.

One of the difference with other Sci-Fi RPG games is that this is a classic RPG - so an RPG with isometric view, like the old Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, etc... and with a lot of work on both the lore and the story.

Don't just expect an ordinary cyberpunk RPG!

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Wow, guys I realized only now that you posted about our game. Thank you so much :excellent:

If without levitating and exploding barrels it could be fun.
I'm sorry, the exploding barrels will be there. But they don't levitate. Does it mean it classifies as fun? :philosoraptor:

Yeah there just weren't enough media properties with negresses, dangerhairs and bad writing around, good of BioSynth to deliver.
We haven't showed any writing yet :philosoraptor:

Sorry but I don't see anything interesting or unique about this game; it just looks very generic and uninspired.
Thank you for the feedback. I accept the challenge and am sure that as soon as we post something serious (we've been only showing small hints up to now) we'll be able to change your impression ;)

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Original post, third video.

So we are talking about a couple of lines out of context... that is a measure of the writing for a game, for sure. Can you please tell me the overall story that is going on in the game? I'm curious.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Original post, third video.

So we are talking about a couple of lines out of context... that is a measure of the writing for a game, for sure. Can you please tell me the overall story that is going on in the game? I'm curious.

So? They're still shit. You sound butthurt. Do you perchance create mods for other games?

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Hi everyone, let me share some additional details about BioSynth: Rising (including some lore).

Here's a look at a bounty hunter:
BH_Front.jpg

BH_Back.jpg

What's the deal with bounty hunters?

With just a hanful of exceptions, nations don't exist anymore on Jaia - the planet in which BioSynth takes place.

The reason for their disappearance is quite complex, but we can simplify and say that big corporations were guilty.

No nations mean no police, no army, etc... then, how do you keep an order?

While nations were disappearing, there was an organization that was rising: its intent was to gather the strongest men and women on the planet. By the way, this organization had the help of big corporations that had interest in its success. The men and women gathered became bounty hunters.

A bounty could be placed on anyone's head, if you had enough money to pay for the job. That spread an immense fear among the population. And that's how the order is kept on Jaia: fear. The fear that if you do something wrong, someone will come for your head. That has worked pretty well for controlling the population... but, at the same time, has created tons of opportunities for strong individuals to do as they please.

It basically means that the, on the surface, you see an order. But if you go deep, the world is a huge mess.

Ok, enough for today :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://indiegamepicks.wordpress.com/2021/08/18/biosynth-rising-interview/

Biosynth: Rising – Interview
Zaratoth / 4 hours ago

Developer: Neptune Games
Release: TBD
Genre: Isometric RPG
Art Style: 3D
Social links: Kickstarter / Twitter / Youtube

I grew up playing Baldur’s Gate 2 and the rest of the Infinity engine games. As such, I cannot pass the opportunity to promote games inspired by those classics. As such, I asked several questions to Mauro D’Andrea, founder and director of Neptune Games about their upcoming isometric RPG, BioSynth: Rising. Take a look!
1. What inspired you to start working on the BioSynth: Rising?

Covid-19 left me jobless and after the initial feelings of loss and anger, I started to see the thing as an opportunity. After carefully thinking about it, I decided to realize my dream of creating a video game.

Choosing the genre was quite easy: I’ve always been a huge fan of RPGs… especially those classic ones like Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, etc. So it was decided that the game had to be a cRPG.

At first my idea was to create a fantasty cRPG, but then I started thinking about making a sci-fi cRPG… and soon everything clicked. I had an idea for something different. Something that, to me, seemed very cool. With this burning fire inside, I got to work and started putting together the team of Neptune Games. And I have to say that we’ve come a long way!

2. Can you tell me a bit more about the story of the game and the world behind it?

Sure! At the beginning of the game you discover that someone dangerous is hunting you. What’s even stranger is that you’re just an ordinary person who has lived an ordinary life… so you don’t really understand what’s going on.

The fact that you find yourself trapped in the slums of the city doesn’t help. Getting safely back home won’t be easy.

About that city… well, it’s called Etheita and it’s huge. Ah, it’s also one of the most thriving city in the world. There, you can find basically anything you can dream of. But notice that it can also be a dangerous place: there is no government and everyone could become the target of bounty hunters.

Bounty hunters, in the BioSynth world, are the equivalent of police… but they can be hired by anyone with enough money. So, if someone doesn’t like you, he/she can put a bounty on your head and soon you’ll be hunted. That’s why ordinary people don’t act foolishly and that’s how big corporations (who replaced the governments around the world) keep public order.

slumobot.jpg

3. From video footage, the game seems to have serious Wasteland vibes. What similarities do you think your game has with such type of classic cRPGs? Any differences?

That’s because we only showed some “wastelandish” environments The city of Etheita is way closer to Blade Runner. Outside of the city and in the slums (which is not considered part of the city by “normal” citizens)… yes, we have many points in common with Wasteland, Fallout and Mad Max.

Gameplay-wise, I’d say BioSynth: Rising is a mix between Wasteland 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2. There’s a big use of firearms like in Wasteland, and verticality is crucial like in DOS2. The use of action points resembles more Wasteland, while the many skills that you can cast during combat is something closer to DOS2.

And there’s something else too… for example the character classes aren’t in those games, while they play a key role here. Just think that the skills you can acquire during the game depend on your character class.

4. Can you describe a bit more the character creation? How much customization will there be?

We’re still talking internally about character creation. On one side we’d like to offer a high degree of character customization, on the other side, for a small studio like us, that would mean cutting important resources to key elements of the game. For sure, during character creation, you’ll be able to pick your class and set your attributes.

Anyway, the real character customization will come after character creation. By picking your skills and gears, you can end up with two completely different characters even when you have the same starting point.

skilltrees.jpg

5. What about the party system? Will you create the whole party yourself or will there be recruitable NPCs to find in the world, with their own stories and characteristics?

You’ll create your own character only. The remaining party spots can be filled by the companions that you meet along the way. These companions have their own stories and personality, which leads to a more interesting party (compared to what you get when create the whole team).

You are not forced to take companions with you, but we highly suggest it because it adds a lot to the game.

6. Where could people find you in order to learn more about BioSynth: Rising and keep up with future updates?

On our website you can find info about BioSynth: Rising, sign up for our newsletter to receive the important updates or find more about our social channel where we post new content regularly.

I also suggest to follow the Kickstarter: it’s launching in September and will contain a cool gameplay trailer, other than a ton of info about the game… and of course, all the backers will get the access to the game for a discounted price. So it’s definitely worth it to check it out.

surgeon.jpg

7. What is the current status of the game? Do you expect to release it soon?

We’re currently in pre-alpha. We have a few maps (including a couple big ones), all the base systems in place (like combat, statuses, dialog and a bunch of others), quite a few models, etc… so we plan to enter the alpha in a few months after our Kickstarter.

The release should be about 1,5 years after the Kickstarter. Just let me be clear: we won’t rush development, our goal is to release a great game. So take the that time with a grain of a salt.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Hello guys, wanted to share this quick preview:

E9fNsK0XEAMAutb

BioSynth isn't just about fighting... you get to relax and have a good time too ;)

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For a cyberpunk inspired setting the visuals are too clean. It's antiseptic blandness that highlights the world as being empty. There's no trash or anything to indicate that it's a lived in world.

just

Liturgist
surely they'll have trash picking robots in the future

V_K

Arcane
So it's a sci-fi DOS? On the one hand, I hope their systems designer is better than Larian's. On the other hand, them choosing DOS as a model tells me this hope is unfounded.
Oh well, maybe at least level design would be somewhat better.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
So it's a sci-fi DOS? On the one hand, I hope their systems designer is better than Larian's. On the other hand, them choosing DOS as a model tells me this hope is unfounded.
Oh well, maybe at least level design would be somewhat better.

While seeing a comparison with DOS make us feel great, I have to say that DOS wasn't THE model for us. For sure, it inspired our turn-based combat... but we have been inspired by many sources, so we think there will be quite a few differences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom