Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware Virgin

Derek Larp

Cipher
Yo Codexfags

I just realised I´ve never ever played a Bioware RPG. What would be a good one to start? Should I even bother?

Some RPGs I liked so far:

- The Fallouts ('cept the 3rd one; Ragequit in those atrocious DC subways)
- TES II & III
- RoA Trilogy
- Gothic 1 & 2 (3rd was okayish, but stretched to thin)
and JA2 (okay, not an RPG, but still fucking awesome)

Oh and lootbased grindfests á la Diablo fucking bore me to death.

So what da dilly yo?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You need to play them all. Start with Baldur's Gate 1 and work your way up to Dragon Effect when it is released.

hanssolo

Educated
Shitty game with tedious story in a terrible setting. Only reason to play it is if you're pretty into d&d combat (and even then, Icewind Dale I + II, TOEE, KotC, etc., all do this a lot better) or for it's historical significance.

edit: oops, assumed the op was asking if Baldur's Gate is worth playing. If you really want to play a Bioware game, play BG2, it's definitely their magnum opus, but it doesn't make it any less shitty.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Hmm... I don´t know WW2 has become kinda stale and

WHAT THE FUCK!?

SilentStormE.jpg

NAZIS IN POWERED ARMOUR LOL NOT REMOVING FROM INVENTORY NOW THX BRO

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
BG is fucking horrible and overrated by kids for who it was one of the first rpgs. I think the recent LPs show that well enough, so I won't elaborate on that. BG2 is alright, sure, if you can stomach high fantasy and stale overdone writing and characters, it has some fairly involving quests and battle encounters. NWN was horrible, but it does have some good mods (no thanks to Bioware's creativity). KoTOR - I played through it 7 times, but now I find it's pretty shit. Jade Empire I don't know but it must be worth playing at least 7 times until you realise it's shit. Mass Effect is boring as hell, so is Dragon Age, never finished them (because after finishing KoTOR 7 times I realised I didn't like those kind of games). Mass Effect 2 is the best Bioware game - awesome shootan game, highly recomended.

What pisses me off with Bioware games basically comes down to two things. One, setting. Second, ego trips. The lack of originality plus the inept blowjobs they try to give the player (who is obviously assumed to be a teenager - not necessarly because it's their target audience, but because they have teenaged minds) is nauseating. This is when you look like a game like Bloodlines, in which the player is not the "chosen one", and you sigh.

ElectricOtter

We have diverted a person from playing a Bioware turd and instead convinced him to download Silent Storm. Mission accomplished, folks :salute:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
BG 1/2 if you like DnD at all.

KotOR is good IFFFFF you like Star Wars and your Star Wars fandom supersedes wanting a good RPG. If not stay the fuck away from it.

If you like late-70's and 80's sci-fi and shooters then Mass Effect was a fucking awesome game, terrible elements aside. It's not pure RPG-ness, and the sequel is a popamole shooter, but it's a good game for specific tastes.

Dragon Age is... divisive. I enjoyed it on a pure tactical combat level, though it is shallow as fuck compared to something like Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil. The story is mind-numbingly boring most of the time, but has moments. Overall a pass for most people on here I would guess, but will appeal to the desperate or more easily pleased.

Never played Jade Empire, though I own it.

Mass Effect 2 is a popamole shooter, as said before. Play it if you like those games, it's as good as they get really.

NWN is good for multiplayer form what I hear, but for singleplayer roleplaying it's not bad, not good... just kind of boring. I honesty have played very little NWN in my life, despite being a CRPG fag.

Blackula

Educated
Dalek you're becoming a paragon bro... turn back before ITZ too late.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tel Prydain said:
Serious_Business said:
KoTOR - I played through it 7 times, but now I find it's pretty shit.
Only 7 times? Well, obviously shit then.

Playing KOTOR 7 times is the first step on the path to finding the key to understanding the Codex.

oscar

Arcane
I tried to play the first Baldur's Gate but gave up after about an hour. Bland and generic High Fantasy setting, really annoying writing and dialogue. But the only Bioware game I've played with somewhat challenging combat (I got killed in a random encounter after leaving the first area).

KotoR would of been a pretty decent RPG if combat had actually been difficult. Blasters were also useless what meant you had weird scenarios of 99% of the battles being your typical Star Wars inhabitants running up to each other and swinging swords.

Jade Empire, while very short and more of a beat-em-up with stats, was also sorta fun. Though once again they fucked up combat by making jump a 'I Win' button. Open Palm and Closed Fist was also an admirable attempt to escape the Good and Evil morality meters but they pretty much fell back to "beat people up and demand more in quest rewards" for Closed Fist and "lick people's nuts and refuse quest rewards" for Open Palm.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Serus said:
Play BG2, ignore everything else.

This. Or BG2 and ME2, and nothing else--ME2 only because, to date, it's got the best writing out of all Bioware games. That doesn't say much, in fact it says almost nothing, but there it is.

Xor said:
Tel Prydain said:
Serious_Business said:

Playing KOTOR 7 times is the first step on the path to finding the key to understanding the Codex.

Didn't Skyway do the same?

catfood

AGAIN
Baldur's Gate 2 is worth it, everything else is shit, including its expansion. Although the expansion does add a few minor interface improvements and a cool dungeon to explore. And you can explore it in the vanilla game as well.

The NWN games range from ok (HOTU) and complete shit (OC) but there are some pretty good modules out there.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
hanssolo said:
Shitty game with tedious story in a terrible setting. Only reason to play it is if you're pretty into d&d combat (and even then, Icewind Dale I + II, TOEE, KotC, etc., all do this a lot better) or for it's historical significance.

ToEE is an unplayable piece of crap that never made the step from pnp to the computer. Both IWD games are not even worthy to be called BG 1- Lite. And with BG 2 they compare to it the way a movie trailer compares to the movie. Good games in the way commercials and trailers are nice at the theatre while waiting for the movie to start. That's what their purpose was.

You need to take a 5 year break to start re-playing games and learn to appreciate them before you can make another post. In case you want to reply to me, personally, make that 10 years.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Xor said:
Tel Prydain said:
Serious_Business said:

That would be the path set for you by cynical, old jedi masterturds who try to mock you on an universal level?
The thought of the thought of the thought of playing any bioware-type game demotivates me. :(

Play one Bioware game and you've played them all.
Unfortunately most people realize this after their 3rd bio game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom