Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's brilliant marketing strategies!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS!~ LOLOLOLOLO1LO!!111 THE FUCKING SHEEPLE THING YOU ARE KILLINGH ME!

BRO WOULDN'T IT BE WEERD IF THERE WAS A PLACE WHERE EVERYONE HATED ALL POPULAR VIDEOGAMES I GUIESS IT WOULD MAKES THOSE DOOSHBAGS SHEEPLE IN THEIOR LITTLE CIRCLE JERK!1! THANK GOD THATS NOT US BROS WE ONLY HATE THINGS THAT STUPID PEOPLE LIKE!!!

Avu

Liturgist
No it is akin to the dealer saying, hey if you buy this new car at a new car price we will give you the climate control and seats for free! When you sell the car you are telling the buyer hey this car has climate control and heated seats I want $10,000 for it rather than $9,500.

Except you can't sell it for 10k because your fucking new car will stop having climate control and heated seats once you resell it. Are you dense or what?

or

A guy brings in his used car and asks the dealer, hey I want climate control and heated seats for free! The dealer smiles and says, sorry if you had bought the car new from us we'd give you those things but you bought the far used from Joes car lot.

Joes car lot that has cars with climate control and heated seats that he bought from us. It just so happens that those things poof once he sells them to you.

It's apologists like you that let companies get away with retarded shit and profit.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Pirate says - I am not stealing anything when I torrent computer game because nothing is removed from inventory

2nd hand buyer says - it isn't fair that when I buy my used computer game the extra content doesn't come with it

Consumer says - why are these games so expensive? It isn't fair. They should be cheaper or even free

People that work in game industry say - It isn't fair that people steal our games or buy them second hand. We want to eat, feed our kids, support our families, pay our rent, have money to buy things we want/need

An endless struggle.

In my opinion it is important to support the people that make the things that I enjoy.

There will always be an endless supply of generic things, but there seems to be a limited supply of the things that I actually enjoy.

I can understand all the arguments.

But in my life it is easier for me to get more money than it is for me to get a new computer game that I actually enjoy.

So I would rather have a greedy company that makes fantastic but way over priced games than garbage games that are really cheap.

The game is either good or it is bad.

If it is bad then don't buy it. End of story.

If it is good then give them money in the hopes that they will make more good games.

Weresloth

Novice
Avu said:
No it is akin to the dealer saying, hey if you buy this new car at a new car price we will give you the climate control and seats for free! When you sell the car you are telling the buyer hey this car has climate control and heated seats I want $10,000 for it rather than $9,500.

Except you can't sell it for 10k because your fucking new car will stop having climate control and heated seats once you resell it. Are you dense or what?

or

A guy brings in his used car and asks the dealer, hey I want climate control and heated seats for free! The dealer smiles and says, sorry if you had bought the car new from us we'd give you those things but you bought the far used from Joes car lot.

Joes car lot that has cars with climate control and heated seats that he bought from us. It just so happens that those things poof once he sells them to you.

It's apologists like you that let companies get away with retarded shit and profit.

Actually the whole car analogy is totally faulty, I shouldn't have responded to it. The DLC is tied to your account not the game, other wise it would just be included in the game in the first place. So you are not in fact buying a car with climate control and heated seats.

It is more along the lines of you buying a new car and getting two coupons, one for a free engine overhaul and one for free oil changes but these coupons are only good for use by the original purchaser. It is totally your choice whether you want to make use of them or not. If you sell your car and the new buyer comes in and tries to redeem the coupons the car place says sorry, you are not the person who bought this product at full retail price. You can still get an oil change or an engine check up here but you have to pay for it. Our preferred customers (ie those that buy the product the free gifts are tied too) get the add ins for free.

Content = Coupon = tied to account
Game = single entity, use of coupons doesn't change the fact that the free bonus is tied to the customer. Not the car.

Is that more clear for you?

Avu

Liturgist
I am not the one who has problems understanding analogies. But like I said apologists... Please burn.

Also please go buy a car that gives you a coupon for a free engine overhaul. I mean nothing says quality car buy now like getting written proof that the most important component of a new car is in need of overhaul. It kind of sort of implies the standard shit will fail sooner or later.

You fail at this btw.

how dare they

of course they don't fucking give a shit and that is the fucking problem in the first place. They don't try to treat the cause of second hand sales they just want to treat the effect. Why because it's fucking easier this way with the sheeple the way they are.

Implies that people will hang on to their games if they like it enough, when IRL most people just sell their games after they are finished with it, so they can buy more games.
Collectors are a minority.

Not to mention it's p fucking retarded to expect they churn out constantly Torment-quality games that people will fall in love with and treasure forever.

Except these bonuses are akin to your car getting climate control and heated seats when you buy it new but as soon as you sell it those stop working permanently. A car you would sell after two weeks after you buy it that is...

Because they want to give the bonus to the direct buyer only, so the second guy would buy it from them. The whole fucking point is that they don't want people to buy a used copy, choosing instead to buy a new one from them.

I am not the one who has problems understanding analogies.

It kind of sort of implies the standard shit will fail sooner or later.

:sigh:

But like I said apologists... Please burn.

You're the little fag whining about business wanting to make money on a message board, shut up. Go back to fairyland where companies behave like indie freeware developers who just want you to, like, totally love their game, man<3

They want to sell more copies, and offer free shit to whoever buys it from them; you can buy it from them or buy a used copy without the free shit

Is that so fucking hard to understand?

Avu

Liturgist
how dare they
What can I say I'm a communist at heart.

Implies that people will hang on to their games if they like it enough, when IRL most people just sell their games after they are finished with it, so they can buy more games.
No replay value=> no point in keeping the game => selling it
go figure
Fact is some people do keep their games if they are worth it. One problem is they are selling them to the retarded console crowd. Happens when you try to sell games to people that don't actually fucking like those games just buy them because it's trendy hip and all their friends got them too. Lack of quality doesn't help either.

Because they want to give the bonus to the direct buyer only, so the second guy would buy it from them. The whole fucking point is that they don't want people to buy a used copy, choosing instead to buy a new one from them.

Everyfuckingone understands this fact. What some myself included disagree with is the method used to do it. If they could get away with it somehow legally they would forbid second hand sales. They just haven't found a way to do it yet. I suppose that would be alright too right?

I am not the one who has problems understanding analogies.

It kind of sort of implies the standard shit will fail sooner or later.

Oh I got his analogy alright just had to poke it. You make analogies to reinforce your point not to weaken it. Not only was his analogy weak it was also very fail.

You're the little fag whining about business wanting to make money on a message board, shut up. Go back to fairyland where companies behave like indie freeware developers who just want you to, like, totally love their game, man<3

Understanding reality and liking it are two fucking different concepts. I suppose if a company finds out it will profit by fucking customers in the ass with a big metal rod that will be alright too I mean they are a business and they have to make profit right? Think of the poor shareholders...

Again apologists please burn.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Avu said:
I suppose if a company finds out it will profit by fucking customers in the ass with a big metal rod that will be alright too I mean they are a business and they have to make profit right? Think of the poor shareholders...

If people want to pay money to be fucked in the ass with a big metal rod then more power to them.

In fact there ARE people in the world that pay other people to fuck them in the ass with all kinds of things.

Just because you don't want to be fucked in the ass with a big metal rod doesn't mean that these other people don't enjoy it.

Avu

Liturgist
But do you agree that I am allowed to hate those people?

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Avu said:

You can hate them, sure, but that doesn't mean you are right.

It is subjective.

Getting fucked in the ass with a metal pole can be one person's delight while being another person's horror.

There will be people that think DA:O is the best game they have ever played. They will gladly buy all the DLC and ask for more.

You can hate them all you want, but that doesn't mean that they are wrong to think that DA:O is the best game they have ever played.

Avu said:
What can I say I'm a communist at heart.

Well, so you're either a naive young man or a failed-at-life-but-is-on-denial old man. That's a good start.

No replay value=> no point in keeping the game => selling it
go figure

No

Most people sell their games after finishing it, no matter the possible replaying value. In fact, most people won't replay a game unless it gives you stuff on a second run (ME makes people play it twice by giving Shepard a new skill on a second play, to give a recent example). The obvious result is that people will see the discs sitting there, and will pass them on. Most people aren't codexers with shelves full of their favorite games. They aren't gonna keep trying a game with different character builds over the years.

Fact is some people do keep their games if they are worth it.

The majority do not, as said. No company is going to sell mainly to the tiny percent of players, unless they're a niche company already.

One problem is they are selling them to the retarded console crowd. Happens when you try to sell games to people that don't actually fucking like those games just buy them because it's trendy hip and all their friends got them too. Lack of quality doesn't help either.

Not all console players are drooling l337 kids with zero attention spam, but this is the codex so I guess I'm supposed to say "I agree, fucking mouthbreathers" to get my kool kodex kredits.

Everyfuckingone understands this fact. What some myself included disagree with is the method used to do it. If they could get away with it somehow legally they would forbid second hand sales. They just haven't found a way to do it yet. I suppose that would be alright too right?

Yeah, except that didn't really happen and instead they are just trying a reasonable tactic of offering you extra junk on a new purchase. You can't go around blaming people for what they COULD do. I have a dick, so you'll beat me up because I WOULD rape women if given the chance?

Oh I got his analogy alright just had to poke it. You make analogies to reinforce your point not to weaken it. Not only was his analogy weak it was also very fail.

But as he pointed out, it was faulty to begin with, so lollipops, I guess

Understanding reality and liking it are two fucking different concepts. I suppose if a company finds out it will profit by fucking customers in the ass with a big metal rod that will be alright too I mean they are a business and they have to make profit right? Think of the poor shareholders...

Yeah, except that didn't really happen so I dunno what you're on about. The rape thing above still applies, you're assuming they want to fuck you over for the lulz instead of making money.

How can you compare assrape with simply offering extra shit for direct buyers is beyond me. Don't merchants do this already? "If you buy these delicious fruits from me instead of the bigass market over there, I'll throw in another one for free".

Again apologists please burn.

You're a commie, everything you say is invalid by default. Like all commies, you get mad by the very concept of people being more successful than you.

the commie thing was a joke, crash burn zing pwned!!!

o noes !!11!

edit:

Sure, hate the buyers for their shitty taste or whatever. But hating the companies for doing what they're supposed to do, i.e., selling, is stupid. Like I said to skyway, I'm not defending the kickass game!!1!!, I'm saying that offering extra stuff is a p reasonable solution, compared to,say, only-3-installs-DRM. In fact, old games did this too.

Remember those games that came with cloth maps, etc? Extras to convince you to purchase a new one from them, instead of from your friend.

Yes, the friend may still have those things already, but most likely he lost it or won't bother getting them for you. If you ask him for the game, he'll give you the game, not the game + everything that was inside the box.

Weresloth

Novice
Avu said:
I am not the one who has problems understanding analogies. But like I said apologists... Please burn.

Also please go buy a car that gives you a coupon for a free engine overhaul. I mean nothing says quality car buy now like getting written proof that the most important component of a new car is in need of overhaul. It kind of sort of implies the standard shit will fail sooner or later.

You fail at this btw.

Eh? You did absolutely zero to refute my counter argument. Your analogy was a poor one for the reasons I outlined. Your rebuttle was non existent. I wait with great anticipation for your counter argument.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Dude you're too cool you not only totally earned your title but it's like totally unique, like only you have it. Have you told daddy about how you're a pretty princess at an internet forum? "

Don't be a tool. There's a reason why I got it. It's because, to me, user tags like these ar ehilarious and don't bother me. I laughed at being labeled Dumbfuck and Codex got butthurt over it so theyd ecided to come up with a special title thinking that would make me cry. It didn't because it is useless and meaningless to me but I know it is meaningful to the Codex so I rub it in.

"How old are you?"

Old enough to use the search button. Are you? :?:

aries202

Erudite
Regarding Boware's marketing strategies for DA: Origins, I thought this thread from the Bioware DA forums might interest you here at the Codex.

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... &forum=135

A word of warning though; links to hawt women included in the thread - or at least links to some magazine called Maxim's website. You will learn that real models have been used for Leliana and Morrigan's bodies in DA: Origins as well as seeing some artsy? nude pictures of the real live models.

Apparently, Bioware now thinks that DA: Origins if for pubescent and adolescent young males, not for the mature male (30+ and up).

To me, this is by far the most stupid marketing strategy tactic I've seen Bioware use as of yet.

We've just, as (rpg) computer players, gotten rid of the 'adolescent guy eating pizza, looking at hawt nude pixels, living in mama's basement' stereotype.
And now, Bioware apparently is living up to the stereo-type...

What makes me more sad :( about this is that apparently mature content now means 'sophomoric sex scenes', tittilating news about (nude) women in real life being used as model bodies for the 'women of Dragon Age'.

And why does the women of Dragon Age not include Wynne, then, the mature woman of DA, but only the young women, Leliana and Morrigan?

Men preferring young fertile women, maybe?

Am I the only one who finds advertising the game by slapping together screenshots with pretty much unrelated pictures of women in various states of undress to be crass, cheap and a bit insulting to the game's audience?

I don't consider myself a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but this just strikes me as sad.

---

The whole game is bundled up in eroticism. I really appreciate what they've done here.

And I AM a prude :P

fuck this shit

------------

Trithne said:
Getting annoyed with having to put in some bullshit birth date from 1945 every time I follow a link to DA promo material. What's the point of an age check if it can't verify anything?

Required by law, not Bio's fault

Nyargh puerile marketing.

Staylost said:
Well, it may be weird for some, but this is an adult game. I don't really get what is wrong with it.

Disliking it as a personal preference is great though.

again, fuck this shit

Trithne

Erudite
Getting annoyed with having to put in some bullshit birth date from 1945 every time I follow a link to DA promo material. What's the point of an age check if it can't verify anything?

Also, what the fuck. Those pics aren't even remotely interesting. And it has nothing to do with the game. Nyargh puerile marketing.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The fact that the in game versions look a lot uglier than the real life counterparts is a testament to bioware's proficiency in modelling faces.

I don't think people have a problem with sex. That really has nothing to do with what they're complaining about. People are annoyed because they're pretty much doing the "OMG LOOK HOT LADY YOU SHOULD BUY OUR GAME BECAUSE WE HAVE [BOOBS] IN IT" I think it's relatively obvious that there's a difference between people being prudes and people wanting BioWare to sell the game Dragon Age for it's Dialogue and gameplay rather than focusing the advertising on Tits to attract the immature male fanbase.

Don't get me wrong I don't actually care about their advertising, but claiming people are being "prude" or don't like sex is just ignoring their actual argeuement so you can just dismiss their post rather than countering it with your own points.

Hey, we're getting some incline here, maybe these boards aren't so fu-

This is a mature fantasy RPG?! It's not like the relevance of this was equal to a PETA ad! (though I have to admit that they make animal rights very appealing

All else equal, I want hott chicks in the game.

And I think it's awesome that Maxim is covering the women of Dragon Age.

It's immature to be attracted to [boobs]? Focus advertising on dialogue and gameplay... like spoilers? What's wrong with showing off the models that helped them create the characters for a mature fantasy RPG? What did you expect? Broomhilda and Snaggletooth? I smell jealous.

By your "OMG HOT LADY" logic, the entire male population would be vegans because of PETA ads. :roll:

lol I never knew the "t" word was inappropriate content. Especially for a mature rated game.

:rage:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What I don't get is: Who the fuck cares about the marketing anyway (except fanboys who want the game to sell better)? Playing the game will make or break it. The marketing can go fuck itself with a retractable harpoon.

Trithne

Erudite
Why don't they just get an actual Dating sim or something if they want virtual romance/sex? They do it better in those games than Bio can in their RPGs.

What I don't get is: Who the fuck cares about the marketing anyway (except fanboys who want the game to sell better)? Playing the game will make or break it. The marketing can go fuck itself with a retractable harpoon.

Well, albinos being hacked to bits for juju in Africa doesn't affect me, but it makes me rage at the stupidity nonetheless

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:

Well, albinos being hacked to bits for juju in Africa doesn't affect me, but it makes me rage at the stupidity nonetheless

Someone said something about oranges and apples, but I didn't hear him, 'cause I was busy looking stuff up in the "dictionary of demagorgy."

Seriously though, the latter makes us rage because it is symptomatic of humanity, while the marketing of a game has nothing to do with the game itself. And by the by, IF it sells copies, the "this is retarded!"-argument is about to fall of the edge of a cliff.

I couldn't care less. I don't even think it's retarded. Makes sense to want to overhype your game.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Most of them are mad because Bioware treats it's target audience which supposedly is the entire RPG market, which like it or not includes some of the codex, specially considering this was supposed to be an old school PC exclusive game for the old fans (the fuck happened to that anyway?), as prepubescent horny losers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom