Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's brilliant marketing strategies!

Inziladun

Magister
Has anyone glanced over at the Dragon Age website recently?

Was bored and was looking at the trailers (which are pretty terribad, btw) and I noticed "AddOns" at the top right of the site... of course curiosity got to me and I clicked, and lo and behold: http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

There's three Addons available at launch. That's right, three! Including a companion! Seriously, how can people see this and not think Bioware is fucking them over? I just don't get it.

(Also, lawl at the dual-game Dragon Bloodz armor)

Multi-headed Cow

Stone Prisoner is included as a code in all editions of Dragon Age. It's just a way to deter selling and buying used copies of Dragon Age.

Inziladun

Magister
Ah didn't notice that part. Also noticed that Dragonblood armor comes with a new copy of dragon age. Why are they so scared of used copies being sold?

Also 7$ for the Non-included one? And 15$ If you don't have the companion?

Balthamael

Liturgist
Inziladun said:
Ah didn't notice that part. Also noticed that Dragonblood armor comes with a new copy of dragon age. Why are they so scared of used copies being sold?

This is somewhat a silly question, don't you think? Publisher is only going to be paid for each copy once, so of course they would prefer that people buy first hand rather than second hand. I don't think 'scared' is a right word to describe this motivation.

Ashery

Prophet
Balthamael said:
Inziladun said:

This is somewhat a silly question, don't you think? Publisher is only going to be paid for each copy once, so of course they would prefer that people buy first hand rather than second hand. I don't think 'scared' is a right word to describe this motivation.

But one can buy almost anything second hand: Music, books, cars, electronics, clothes etc. What makes the video game industry so special that they feel that they can prevent this? Unless something is physically consumed, there will be a second hand market for it.

And I know that's a bit of a tangent from your post and the statement is not directed at you. I just wonder why the fuck the video game industry thinks they're special and not like every other non-direct consumption industry.

Inziladun

Magister
I suppose I'm just forgetting the market for used games in the console crowd. But still, it just seems silly and unnecessary. Especially for a company the size of Bioware.

Multi-headed Cow

Ashery said:
Balthamael said:
Inziladun said:

But one can buy almost anything second hand: Music, books, cars, electronics, clothes etc. What makes the video game industry so special that they feel that they can prevent this? Unless something is physically consumed, there will be a second hand market for it.

And I know that's a bit of a tangent from your post and the statement is not directed at you. I just wonder why the fuck the video game industry thinks they're special and not like every other non-direct consumption industry.
The excuse I've seen most often is "BUT OUR GAMES COST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO MAKE AND TAKE THOUSANDS OF MAN HOURS WITH A STAFF OF OVER 100 WORKING FOR MULTIPLE YEARS! $60 A POP ISN'T ENOUGH ESPECIALLY WITH P-P-PIRATES ON PC AND PEOPLE BUYING USED CONSOLE GAMES!".

All I can figure is the reason the movie industry can keep working whereas game developers apparently can't, is because segments of the movie industry can be used in other areas. Film crews can be used for TV, commercials, etc, whereas people working on a game tend to/have to stick to one company, which makes it less stable since if a game company falls it impacts more people. That's my guess anyway. The easiest solution in my mind would stop spending so much making games. Get smaller teams that are more dedicated to the product, keep paying them well, then release the game for less money. Since I'm pulling all of this out of my ass there's probably some crippling flaw somewhere though.

Multi-headed Cow

Tails said:
Do you guys remember times when extra content was free?
Still happens, admittedly mostly on PC. In fact, Killing Floor is going to be getting free goodies this weekend I've read. As much as I dislike DLC, I don't think it has made free extra content any rarer than it was before DLC became big.

Ashery said:

They don't feel they're special. They, like any sane businessmen, want to sell, and are offering you a nice bonus if you buy it from them . Just like a peddler on the street will sell you his wares cheaper than if you bought it in the general store across the street. He wants to motivate you, and what's better for that than throwing in some swag (free shit) in the deal?

You're free to buy it second hand, but you won't get the bonus.

Is it so wrong? This is not DRM that prevent you from installing the same copy more than X times, I think this is a p good idea because it offers you something optional, but interesting enough for you to consider buying it from them. Works too, since these are one time only codes.

I just hope no one comes with "but they should've included it in the game in the first place!". No, it's their game and they will include whatever they want, you aren't entitled to anything because you can choose if you want to buy the damn thing or not.

In fct, the topic title is correct, this is a brilliant marketing strategy. I'm sure you can just pirate the damn extras, but let's forget about that.

When high quality games with a lot of replay value come out, it's hard to find "second hand" copies available, or atleast cheap second-hand copies.

Instead of strong-arming customers out of the full experience, a more pro-consumer approach would be to make the game good enough so that people don't sell it in the first place (e.g. Blizzard's signature expansive multiplayer).

That doesn't work because it's based on the premise people will hang on to games they like and will sell only shit they didn't like enough, when the truth is that people that sell their games will do so regardless of liking the game or not. People that sell games usually do so to get money to buy the next title, or to get money for other reasons more important than games.

It also needs a "good enough" game to work, and most developers think their games are good enough (either because they genuinely like their work, or because they feel it's good enough; they don't want the sales to flop, so they'll put work into it until they feel it's good enough). There are few games that rank as "so good they cost more now than when they came out". some rare PS titles, for example. It's kinda unrealistic to trust your game to be like those gems in the first place, and include that in your plans.

btw, blizzard multiplayer doesn't count as a good example because it's much different from single player games.

RolePlayer

Augur
When high quality games with a lot of replay value come out, it's hard to find "second hand" copies available, or atleast cheap second-hand copies.

Instead of strong-arming customers out of the full experience, a more pro-consumer approach would be to make the game good enough so that people don't sell it in the first place (e.g. Blizzard's signature expansive multiplayer). Or promise consumers additional content updates (free ones) over the course of several years.

Deleted member 7219

Christ, I haven't seen this much crying on the Codex since Fallout 3 was announced.

made

Arcane
We need more threads about the Codex' favorite new RPG.

"OMG Dragonage achievemets"
"OMG Dragonage character editor"
"OMG Dragonage voice acting"
"OMG Dragonage trailer"
"OMG Dragonage DLC"
"OMG Dragonage PR"

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
made said:
We need more threads about the Codex' favorite new RPG.

"Fuck Dragonage achievemets"
"Shitty Dragonage character editor"
"Dragonage voice acting sux"
"Dragonage's ghey trailer"
"LOL Dragonage DLC"
"Dragonage PR raped my cat"

Fixxadh!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tails said:
Do you guys remember times when extra content was free?

Nostalgia is for those who either remember incorrectly or can't be bothered to keep up. The Witcher had 1.5GB of free extra content, Shale is free in DA:O and so on and so forth.

The video game industry is neither better or worse than the rest of the entertainment industry. That said however, the whole industry is so backed by ancient laws, and intent of squeezing every cent out of everyone and their aunt, I restrict my money only projects of quality and with reasonable pricing.

For the rest, there's pirating. I'll stop pirating when they stop their fucking about.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Witcher had 1.5GB of free extra content

If we are to talk about TW's "free extra content" then Oblivion has 100s of GBs of free extra content.
I think he meant free content made by developers themselves that was much more than "another quest/haircut".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
The Witcher had 1.5GB of free extra content

If we are to talk about TW's "free extra content" then Oblivion has 100s of GBs of free extra content.

Developed by Bethesda, like TW's is developed by CDProjekt Red? I don't know shit about Oblivion since I couldn't care less about the FPS(wordsmandship)-genre, but if there is such material, then what's your point?

MetalCraze

Arcane
My point is that changing a colour of a whore's lip-stick in TW (which was the only "free extra content" developed by CDP - they pretty much took additional adventures from modders) doesn't stand compared to f.e. 500 MBs of missions, vehicles, weapons added to ArmA1 (less size but more substance - and TW was there 2 years ago). Today this is usually released as several DLCs. Besides DA has DLC on the day of release.
Bethesda had "dignity" to wait for 6 months before releasing an ending they cut out from the original game for $10 (but well that was an ending so it doesn't count as much I guess).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
My point is that changing a colour of a whore's lip-stick in TW (which was the only "free extra content" developed by CDP - they pretty much took additional adventures from modders) doesn't stand compared to f.e. 500 MBs of missions, vehicles, weapons added to ArmA1 (less size but more substance - and TW was there 2 years ago). Today this is usually released as several DLCs. Besides DA has DLC on the day of release.
Bethesda had "dignity" to wait for 6 months before releasing an ending they cut out from the original game for $10 (but well that was an ending so it doesn't count as much I guess).

DA was scheduled to be released earlier this year, while the DLC was developed by another team and meant to be released now. What should they've done? Artificially pushed the release date? No, include it in the final package of course. I'm not about to defend Bioware's money-grubbing, I'm just saying it's not unique to the industry, and the industry is not unique in the entertainment industry.

As for The Witcher, that's hardly the only fucking thing it does. Voice-acting completely redone, massive amounts of re-writing... But fuck it, my point was that it's hardly a surprise that the gaming industry acts as market-rational as any other industry.

So let's punish them for it, instead of buying their games and then get all mad about it, even though we knew it to begin with.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DA was scheduled to be released earlier this year, while the DLC was developed by another team and meant to be released now
Actually DA was scheduled to be released 3 years back - but it got into a beta stage only a few months ago - and DLC talks started only a few weeks ago. No preview mentioned a DLC tab in the journal before that (doubt they would've missed on such news) - so chances are it's a much more newer thing than you'd hope.

Voice-acting completely redone, massive amounts of re-writing...
Not really. Only wording was changed and in rare places - besides it was done by Atari (something that should've been done at the start and they even failed to redo it normally) and does not relate to any other localized version of a game.

my point was that it's hardly a surprise that the gaming industry acts as market-rational as any other industry.
Cutting stuff from the game to release it as DLC (and as unique elements for pre-order releases in different countries which is very stupid) wasn't market-rational a few years ago.

So let's punish them for it, instead of buying their games and then get all mad about it, even though we knew it to begin with.
It's the same as people bitching about politics in an unrelated country - you may not care about this game - but it will affect games you care about in one way or another (and it does).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not really. Only wording was changed and in rare places - besides it was done by Atari (something that should've been done at the start and they even failed to redo it normally) and does not relate to any other localized version of a game.

Untrue, unless my dad gets up late at night to mod my games while I sleep. TW:EE has much better translation, as well as getting rid of some very corny moments in Geralt's voicing.

Cutting stuff from the game to release it as DLC (and as unique elements for pre-order releases in different countries which is very stupid) wasn't market-rational a few years ago.

You say I've got no proof of the DLC being in development earlier, but then concludes Warden's Keep has actually been in the whole time and now is cut? I is confused. But then, I'm dumb as fuck, so no surprise there. Unless you're refering to Shale, in which case him being free and all kindda lets down your point.

It's the same as people bitching about politics in an unrelated country - you may not care about this game - but it will affect games you care about in one way or another (and it does).

This is what I'm saying for christ-sakes. This is why we shouldn't by their fucking products. If we make it not rational to screw us, they won't screw us. Simple as.

It worked with DRM. The most rigid types of DRM has been dropped even by EA, mostly.

Armacalypse

Scholar
I have changed my opinion and support this new DLC strategy since I heard that each new copy would come with a code, because it produces sweet butthurt in the used sales retards. You don't actually OWN the game, and you should have as little right to sell it as you have to copy it for other people.

It's pathetic how people claim the moral highground over pirates and then claim they have some god-given right to keep selling the developer's games themselves. It almost makes me want to support this marketing strategy by buying the game instead of pirating it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom