Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's no-homosexuality rule in RPGs

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Because you are part of a group that comprises less than 50% of population. The minority should always adapt to majority, not the other way round

That's an argument from force more than morality. The point of my post was complaining about how we pretend like the fag issue is a moral one when precisely there are more pressing types of moral issues involving discrimination. Exactly what I was saying was that queers get more attention because of politics and not ethics or human rights. Now, if people would drop the bullshit I wouldn't care. You want to usurp the majority I don't actually care. There's no morale imperative for me that the minority has to accept the majority. I do believe there is a moral imperative to not frame power politics in a way that it appears to be an issue of ethics however, or else all morality becomes suspect which is exactly what the modern climate is like.

I agree with you. I'm just answering to your "why should I adapt" - it is simply more efficient to change the habits of a smaller proportion than of the large one.
I definitely agree that "gay rights" are an overblown issue.

Rpgsaurus Rex

BTW: I would totally love if games allowed you to play abnormally fat or thin characters and adjusted your stats accordingly - butthurt would be glorious.
:smug:

Evil Islands (Allods/Rage of Mages sequel) had a similar feature, though it worked the other way round. IIRC stronger characters had a bigger and more muscular 3D model, and weak ones would look emaciated.
There... was a sequel to Rage of Mages? o.o
Evil Islands, bro. Set in the same universe (Allods aka floating islands) but a different main cast. A fantastic RTwP party RPG that turns into a Commandos hybrid at the hard difficulty (sneaking and backstabbing galore). Cant vouch for the English translation, though.

kris

Arcane
I don't get you guys saying just adapt. That's the whole point of what I'm saying, why should I have to when a minority that's less than half the size of mine, and mostly an identity politics contrivance anyway, gets all this attention?

You are a man. Adapt, don't complain. there is in fact very few situations when I ever thought about this at all. I just use my left hand for fine work and right for hard work. Generally speaking.
and do you need that attention? Now I understand if you complain about media coverage, that is another thing.

DraQ

Arcane
Evil Islands (Allods/Rage of Mages sequel) had a similar feature, though it worked the other way round. IIRC stronger characters had a bigger and more muscular 3D model, and weak ones would look emaciated.
This is good, but I meant the other way around - for example letting you create a blob of fat that will become instantly exhausted when moving on any surface it can't just roll down.

Then watch the immense butthurt of landwhales who want to play as themselves flow, resembling that waterfall that once filled the Mediterranean Sea.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah it was 3D and very hardcore and survival-like, where two enemies already could kill your character unless you went stealth approach and creatures like ogres raped you any day. Actually, even first meet wolf would probably kill you straight on when you play first time with only knife in hand.

RPG that turns into a Commandos hybrid
That's a good way to describe it, yes.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Yeah it was 3D and very hardcore and survival-like, where two enemies already could kill your character unless you went stealth approach and creatures like ogres raped you any day. Actually, even first meet wolf would probably kill you straight on when you play first time with only knife in hand.

Only on hard, though. On medium, the difficulty is pretty much the same as in the original Rage of Mage games.

I remember that the game only had "hard" mode by default when it first came out. That was... insane. I remember reading the official hintbook for how to defeat an Orc Shaman quest boss: "kill the Shaman", and that's it - when it took me ~20 tries of figuring out how to sneak up and position my party so they don't get insta-raped.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because you are part of a group that comprises less than 50% of population. The minority should always adapt to majority, not the other way round.
So tell me again - why are we all complaining about modern RPGs being made for retards?

Also, why should educated aristocrats adapt to the hordes of unwashed peasantry?

If people had thought that way since the ancient days, we'd probably still be in the stone age.
"Hey I just had the cool idea of inventing the wheel but everyone else carries shit on their back so I should adapt to them because they're the majority lol"

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Because you are part of a group that comprises less than 50% of population. The minority should always adapt to majority, not the other way round.
So tell me again - why are we all complaining about modern RPGs being made for retards?

There is enough place for all kinds of games, both stupid and just dumbed down.

Also, why should educated aristocrats adapt to the hordes of unwashed peasantry?

If people had thought that way since the ancient days, we'd probably still be in the stone age.
"Hey I just had the cool idea of inventing the wheel but everyone else carries shit on their back so I should adapt to them because they're the majority lol"

In a situation that's either/or, they should. There is no (real) drawback to carrying shit on a cart instead of your shoulder, but there certainly is in de-optimizing the right handed world. Although writing left to right is easier and better for right handed people and suboptimal for lefties, that is not good enough reason for making everybody write from the center of the page.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
My comment was less about the left-handed vs right-handed, but about the attitude of "the minority should always adapt to the majority". It's not always the case. And it's certainly a dumb thing to say on the 'dex, since we are a minority in our tastes. Should we adapt to console games? No? Then scratch that "always" from your sentence.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
My comment was less about the left-handed vs right-handed, but about the attitude of "the minority should always adapt to the majority". It's not always the case. And it's certainly a dumb thing to say on the 'dex, since we are a minority in our tastes. Should we adapt to console games? No? Then scratch that "always" from your sentence.

I was speaking about real-life, practical issues that impact every day life. I was wrong when I used "always" though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's always a case-by-case question about who should adapt whose ways, depending on their practicality. In my using wheel vs carrying by hand example, the majority should adapt to the minority. In the case of, say, braille vs normal script, normal script should of course be used by most. That doesn't make braille obsolete... or left-handed tools. They're just niche products (heh), and it might be impossible for the minority to adapt, so they should just try to do their own thing.

Companies producing products that accomodate these minorities as well as the majority - like the examples in games discussed in this thread, which really aren't that hard to implement - can reach a broader audience and gain more profit.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
It's always a case-by-case question about who should adapt whose ways, depending on their practicality. In my using wheel vs carrying by hand example, the majority should adapt to the minority. In the case of, say, braille vs normal script, normal script should of course be used by most. That doesn't make braille obsolete... or left-handed tools. They're just niche products (heh), and it might be impossible for the minority to adapt, so they should just try to do their own thing.

Companies producing products that accomodate these minorities as well as the majority - like the examples in games discussed in this thread, which really aren't that hard to implement - can reach a broader audience and gain more profit.

Sadly, I'm generally too lazy to express myself properly when posting.

In a situation where either a larger or smaller part of a society has to adapt to a less comfortable position, it should be the smaller that adapts to discomfort. Since there is enough developers and consumers for both simple and complex, single player and multiplayer etc. games, I see no problem in having every possible combination/type.
If there was a hypothetical situation, where there is only a single developer left on Earth, aside from his wishes, he should do what most people want, even if that means pong HD with a wall behind your paddle.

kris

Arcane

I was speaking about real-life, practical issues that impact every day life. I was wrong when I used "always" though.

In real life solutions for the minority will always be there when it is profitable. Selling some things for left handed for a slightly higher price sometimes is among that. Making fiction for homosexuals seemingly has found a new big market among women. And codexers who claim they do those romances "for humour purposes" ;)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Interview with Drew Karpyshyn @Eurogamer

Drew Karpyshyn not only resembles Commander Shepard facially - he created him.

image002.jpg

zinecw.jpg

Yeah, I totally see the similarities. :lol:

Riel

Arcane
Lol, time made this thread hilarious.

I guess this proves: "Beware what you wish for it might become true" :P

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Quigs said:
What if a heterosexual gamer was railroaded into homosexual romances by the design of some RPG? Same difference. .

Like Dragon Age 2 ?

Nigro

Educated
dude let this homosexuality stuff for the politicians to discuss, we just want to play a decent game!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And to think these guys used to be console gamers, where the simple idea of having sex and a relationship in one of their game was censored by Master Nintendo. Would not be surprised if Nintendo was the major cause of todays homosexuality, actually. Moustached plumber coming to inspect your pipes, really?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom