Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

Bulba

Learned
Fuck no Bulba, I loved the combat in it. It could use some extra abilities \ unit types, but I still really enjoyed it.

The reason it didn't sell very well was probably because of a multitude of reasons, including:

1. Absolutely SHIT release date. It was around E3 and the release of TOLU, so hardly any of the 'big' sites even bothered reviewing it.
2. The country blocking aspect
3. The setting was less "cool" than Shadowrun's

They really should have done some more effort to spread it to e-celebs like TotalShitcunt or something.

I can see where you are coming from, but there are quite a few good tb combat games and 0 good this kind of exploration games, so if they would have focused on exploration like coe3 on strategy we would have had an awesome exploration game, while as it is we are left with mediocre tb combat and exploration game.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
I guess this is what happens when a developer actually cares about not releasing a bug ridden, half-finished, rip-off of a game.

Monty

Arcane
And to think the Codex even changed the 'TITS or GTFO' award for them. Even that noble gesture wasn't enough to save the project.

Indranys

Savant
Fuck fuck this shit man.
CC is my most awaited title much much more than any kickstarter games currently in queue!
I can't stop thinking that Hobgoblin and Coreplay lied and betrayed us about the state of the game at least since April or even few months before.
Sorry bro but I can't dismiss this idea.

I believe it's not about money, well of course it's about money in the end, but not in a greedy evil publisher way.
Looks like a poor management was afoot, Coreplay was too ambitious, adding and making more content without proper planning etc.
So they lagged behind schedule and ate too much money that Bitcomposer can spare.

Ambition is great man, but keeping the shit as realistic as possible is also important.
Fuck, they could release the game with short and focused campaign like Shadowrun Return and the fucker won't hit the fan llike this.
And if they can't release the toolset to the public, at least he can make one or two documentations to help the modders immortalizing their game.
AFAIK they use Lua language right?

If it's about bug, it's better to have a buggy mess of a game than no game at all.
Not pleasant, but better than zero result.
Then they can patch the game after release.
If they stop before everything's patched the modders will finish the work.
This shit is already a norm today.
Maybe that's bad for their reputation, but it's good for us right? The people who cares about CRPG.

I hope Coreplay and Bitcomposer give us more clarification about this issue, not this kind of conflicted accounts.
"Bitcomposer didn't give us enough money!" "But Coreplay didn't attend the meeting!"

Maybe this is why only a few small and independent developers survive in publishers funding model without becoming publisher's slave studio.
Like Obsidian and Larian is a good example.
Independent developers boss need to be (or at least have) a great businessman and clever entrepreneur first than a good game maker.
Just like Fargo, Feargus, and Swen IMO.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It went through KS and got shit all funding there too. I still got a game that I enjoyed at the end of it, so who cares?

I care, it would be nice to have an expansion. With a few changes and a new campaign this game could have been great.

But then they can just go back to KS. They have the engine and basic game, so another $50,000 on KS should be plenty for an expansion and a 'mega patch'. I'm sure they'd get the funding.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm not pretending to know shit about how this works, but wouldn't bitcomposer probably own the rights to any and all work done on the game, including the engine?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Engine - yes, the rest probably not. The publisher owns everything they paid them to develop, which would most likely include the setting, story, characters, and most assets.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
They can't own whatever RPG systems design Coreplay came up with because that's part of the OGL I think.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
This is hard to take. I have to say this was the game I was most looking forward to. Depressing.

I guess I should go back to hiding me head in the sand... buying old games and avoiding anything new. Hard to be disappointed buying old games from GOG for $5 or less.

My patience is pretty epic. I haven't even bothered downloading Shadowrun Returns which I funded... I figure I should just wait for 6 months and see if they patch it or change it.

Hopefully Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, and Dead State won't disappoint.

Oh, well. What a silly world.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think it's a given that Coreplay would want to have a second go at it, using the same engine but with new/modified assets. The question is whether that's what they're pursuing with the new investor, or if they're back to survival mode (Germany's Next Top Model II), and for how long. I guess it very much depends on how 'benign' the investor is.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Engine - yes, the rest probably not. The publisher owns everything they paid them to develop, which would most likely include the setting, story, characters, and most assets.
At this stage, I guess the issue is to determine what bitComposer legally owns, as the project was funded by 3 entities. And that's where the lawyers & impartial institutions have to play their roles, specially with the departure of Coreplay co-founder
A thing that can transform a dreadlock head into a baldhead
But yes, engines and tools belongs to those who develop them, and I think they were developped from longtime ago, before CC.They are those that were used for Ion Assault. But only Peter can confirm that, even if they are called "Coreplay World Editor", "Coreplay FX Studio", "COREPLAY PostFX Editor", "The COREPLAY terrain engine" and finally "the Coreplay toolset"
http://coreplay.de/Technology/technology.html

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
At this stage, I guess the issue is to determine what bitComposer legally owns, as the project was funded by 3 entities. And that's where the lawyers & impartial institutions have to play their roles, specially with the departure of Coreplay co-founder
A thing that can transform a dreadlock head into a baldhead
But yes, engines and tools belongs to those who develop them, and I think they were developped from longtime ago, before CC.They are those that were used for Ion Assault. But only Peter can confirm that, even if they are called "Coreplay World Editor", "Coreplay FX Studio", "COREPLAY PostFX Editor", "The COREPLAY terrain engine" and finally "the Coreplay toolset"
http://coreplay.de/Technology/technology.html

Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property.
Theoretically speaking, if a developer (not you) was in a similar situation, what would his options be?

I guess, logically, nothing should stop said developer from taking the engine, the content, and the assets and making a slightly different game, sort of like PB did with Risen when they lost the rights to Gothic, without running into any legal issues. So can you walk us through and explain where the line is drawn?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom