Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Aug 1, 2013.

1. HobGoblin42 Self-Ejected Patron Developer

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014

Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
    And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.

• Brofist Brofist x 25
    ^ Top  
  2. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Theoretically speaking, if a developer (not you) was in a similar situation, what would his options be?

I guess, logically, nothing should stop said developer from taking the engine, the content, and the assets and making a slightly different game, sort of like PB did with Risen when they lost the rights to Gothic, without running into any legal issues. So can you walk us through and explain where the line is drawn?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Lunatic Legends!

^ Top  
  4. HobGoblin42 Self-Ejected Patron Developer

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
    Theoretically answering, a developer should consult a good lawyer first. And then he should carefully exclude all parts whose rights doesn't belong to him.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  5. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Alrighty. Spiritual successor to Chaos Chronicles confirmed.
    Put it on Kickstarter, HobGoblin. I'll pay. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I know it's been said 100 times, and surely it's crossed your mind, but there's only one word that comes to mind when I read your post: kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Literally speaking you should go do that. 'Sanitize' your IP then do a Kickstarter. Stop chatting here and make it happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    From the makers of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action: Generic fantasy dungeon crawler.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Also send the Codex review Steam key to me, thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well, at least I'm glad to hear you haven't given up entirely on the prospect of this kind of game.

Do your best, Coreplay!

^ Top  
  11. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku

when the time finally comes you should name your TB firstborn... Codex Chronicles :martini:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Yeah, has anyone actually forgiven them for that atrocity? They'd probably need a decent downloadable demo - or at least a very, very good video.

Can you say "lawsuit"? Especially if bitComposer already slapped an injunction on the game previously. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restructure whatever was paid by bitComposer as debt and enter into an agreement to repay it - at which point it's in both parties interest to see Coreplay release a finished and successful product. Otherwise, I guess they can spend the money on legal fees.

^ Top  
  13. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.

^ Top  
  14. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Goddammit why can't the incline come. :(

^ Top  
  15. Rake Arcane

Rake
    PRetY GraFiX.

^ Top  
  16. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).

^ Top  
  17. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Chaos Chronicles: Back In Action incoming!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Making a deal with bitComposer (and attending meetings) is always the best solution, but assuming that it's not possible, there should be a line drawn somewhere that would allow Coreplay to take their ball and go play with it elsewhere. I mean, they can't be sued for making any TB game now, can they?

The game's using 3.5E Open Game Content, so bC can't lay any claim on it. The game has the standard races: humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, halflings, etc, so again, no claims there. So, really, all that bC can claim is the story, characters, specific locations, and assets for these locations. So, all that Coreplay needs to do is to forget about the undead theme and start from scratch.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    A Kickstarter? Has Coreplay given any indication they are capable of proper financial management and honest and transparent communication with their fanbase? (two of the more important, if not the most important skills required to conduct a successful Kickstarter) From what I'm reading ITT, looks like they haven't.

Don't get me wrong, I was naturally eagerly waiting for Chaos Chronicles' release, but it would suck even more if it ends up mirroring Double Fine's fiasco, especially because it would shatter whatever credibility the studio has left and probably the studio itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Hamster Arcane Patron

Hamster
    Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Good to hear:brodex:

^ Top  
  21. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    'Cept it should be "gentle". :mad: Philistines.

^ Top  
  22. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    I remember when Roguey embarrassed himself in the main CC thread months ago by taking Hobgoblin's joke about DRM literally in an attempt to attack the dev team. Dude must be pumped this project fell through roguey 1 coreplay 0 team sawyer 10,000+

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Roguey's pumped about how much you people care about her.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Oh sorry forget I said anything

^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Signs of the Codex Apocalypse:
    - Dead cybernegroes walk the forums

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.