Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News bitComposer issue official statement on Chaos Chronicles

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lunatic Legends!

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Theoretically speaking, if a developer (not you) was in a similar situation, what would his options be?
Theoretically answering, a developer should consult a good lawyer first. And then he should carefully exclude all parts whose rights doesn't belong to him.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Alrighty. Spiritual successor to Chaos Chronicles confirmed.
Put it on Kickstarter, HobGoblin. I'll pay. :salute:

Stabwound

Arcane
Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.
I know it's been said 100 times, and surely it's crossed your mind, but there's only one word that comes to mind when I read your post: kickstarter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Theoretically speaking, if a developer (not you) was in a similar situation, what would his options be?
Theoretically answering, a developer should consult a good lawyer first. And then he should carefully exclude all parts whose rights doesn't belong to him.

Literally speaking you should go do that. 'Sanitize' your IP then do a Kickstarter. Stop chatting here and make it happen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From the makers of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action: Generic fantasy dungeon crawler.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, at least I'm glad to hear you haven't given up entirely on the prospect of this kind of game.

Do your best, Coreplay!

kaizoku

Arcane
Engine - yes, the rest probably not. The publisher owns everything they paid them to develop, which would most likely include the setting, story, characters, and most assets.
At this stage, I guess the issue is to determine what bitComposer legally owns, as the project was funded by 3 entities. And that's where the lawyers & impartial institutions have to play their roles, specially with the departure of Coreplay co-founder
A thing that can transform a dreadlock head into a baldhead
But yes, engines and tools belongs to those who develop them, and I think they were developped from longtime ago, before CC.They are those that were used for Ion Assault. But only Peter can confirm that, even if they are called "Coreplay World Editor", "Coreplay FX Studio", "COREPLAY PostFX Editor", "The COREPLAY terrain engine" and finally "the Coreplay toolset"
http://coreplay.de/Technology/technology.html

Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.

when the time finally comes you should name your TB firstborn... Codex Chronicles :martini:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
From the makers of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
Yeah, has anyone actually forgiven them for that atrocity? They'd probably need a decent downloadable demo - or at least a very, very good video.

I guess, logically, nothing should stop said developer from taking the engine, the content, and the assets and making a slightly different game, sort of like PB did with Risen when they lost the rights to Gothic, without running into any legal issues. So can you walk us through and explain where the line is drawn?
Can you say "lawsuit"? Especially if bitComposer already slapped an injunction on the game previously. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restructure whatever was paid by bitComposer as debt and enter into an agreement to repay it - at which point it's in both parties interest to see Coreplay release a finished and successful product. Otherwise, I guess they can spend the money on legal fees.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
A fair number of Codexers will support a Chaos Chronicles: Reloaded kickstarter, that's for sure; but I'm not so sure about the rest of the internet.
A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Can you say "lawsuit"? Especially if bitComposer already slapped an injunction on the game previously. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to restructure whatever was paid by bitComposer as debt and enter into an agreement to repay it - at which point it's in both parties interest to see Coreplay release a finished and successful product. Otherwise, I guess they can spend the money on legal fees.
Making a deal with bitComposer (and attending meetings) is always the best solution, but assuming that it's not possible, there should be a line drawn somewhere that would allow Coreplay to take their ball and go play with it elsewhere. I mean, they can't be sued for making any TB game now, can they?

The game's using 3.5E Open Game Content, so bC can't lay any claim on it. The game has the standard races: humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, halflings, etc, so again, no claims there. So, really, all that bC can claim is the story, characters, specific locations, and assets for these locations. So, all that Coreplay needs to do is to forget about the undead theme and start from scratch.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Kickstarter? Has Coreplay given any indication they are capable of proper financial management and honest and transparent communication with their fanbase? (two of the more important, if not the most important skills required to conduct a successful Kickstarter) From what I'm reading ITT, looks like they haven't.

Don't get me wrong, I was naturally eagerly waiting for Chaos Chronicles' release, but it would suck even more if it ends up mirroring Double Fine's fiasco, especially because it would shatter whatever credibility the studio has left and probably the studio itself.

DefJam101

Arcane
I remember when Roguey embarrassed himself in the main CC thread months ago by taking Hobgoblin's joke about DRM literally in an attempt to attack the dev team. Dude must be pumped this project fell through roguey 1 coreplay 0 team sawyer 10,000+

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A lot of people want a new D&D CRPG. This is the closest it could get (and now it's dead).
It's kind of crazy how no one has used OGL to make a video game other than KotC. You get almost the DnD branding and it's free.

Also I don't know how much money Paizo has on hand, but you'd think they would have invested in someone making a game from their content (and no a shitty MMO doesn't count).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom