Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Black Isle Studios Rebirth (Obsidian)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Black Isle games were mostly great.

Obsidian games are mostly not great.

Questions?

barghwata

Savant
Black Isle games were mostly great.

Obsidian games are mostly not great.

Questions?

Fallout new vegas was amazing.
Alpha protocole was pretty good.
Tyranny was fine.
As for Pillars of Eternity, i never played that game but i have a feeling that people in the codex are exaggerating (as they always do) when they say it's terrible because they had really high expectations from the game before it came out, and then got disappointed.

Overall i think Obsidian is a pretty good studio, that has made great games before and has the potential to make great games again, even though they haven't been doing what they're best at lately (i blame sawyer personally), we will have to wait and see what will happen with Outer Worlds.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
As for Pillars of Eternity, i never played that game but i have a feeling that people in the codex are exaggerating (as they always do) when they say it's terrible because they had really high expectations from the game before it came out, and then got disappointed.

I finished both games and also backed Deadfire. These games have an interesting quests and some gorgeous battles, but overall they're trying too hard to be BG and its Sad!

Also Tyranny was good also as a concept, the gameplay was boring.

barghwata

Savant

Indeed the combat was bad and the encounter design was pretty terrible and yet i personally think Tyranny is a little underrated, the character creation system was pretty good, especially the conquest system that allowed you to decide your character's history and initial standing with factions which affected the story later on, there is also plenty of C&C which you won't find in many RPGs nowadays, and the writing was decent, though sometimes a little bland.

It's no where near being a bad or shitty game, it's actually pretty good, but a disappointement neverthless coming from the people who made alpha protocole and FNV and wrote Mask of the Betrayer. Objectivley speaking however i still think it's a good game as long as you bear with the shitty combat and concentrate on the story/C&C aspect of the game, if you're a combat fag however the game sucks.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Indeed the combat was bad and the encounter design was pretty terrible and yet i personally think Tyranny is a little underrated, the character creation system was pretty good, especially the conquest system that allowed you to decide your character's history and initial standing with factions which affected the story later on, there is also plenty of C&C which you won't find in many RPGs nowadays, and the writing was decent, though sometimes a little bland.

It's no where near being a bad or shitty game, it's actually pretty good, but a disappointement neverthless coming from the people who made alpha protocole and FNV and wrote Mask of the Betrayer. Objectivley speaking however i still think it's a good game as long as you bear with the shitty combat and concentrate on the story/C&C aspect of the game, if you're a combat fag however the game sucks.

Don't know, man, playing it after the PoE was like doing the same thing again, but with horrible combat. Again pillars, again everything.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Don't know, man, playing it after the PoE was like doing the same thing again, but with horrible combat. Again pillars, again everything.

Eh, theres a little more love put into it, just in the details and everything. It was ok.

That said, that's comparing it to Pillars, which while being that *Kickstarter WE'RE DOING OUR THING* thing had almost none.

By far the most soulless Obsidian RPG, even compared to the NWN2 OC (which had its few highlights).

barghwata

Savant

I highly doubt PoE has as much C&C or skill checks as Tyranny, does it?

It formally has reputations and multiple endings, but this is all so stupid.

I see, i might give it a try, i don't think it's gonna be as terrible as people make it out to be, i am more worried it's gonna be mediocre which is kinda worst when you think about it, at least a shitty game will anger you and make you rage quit and uninstall but a mediocre game will keep you playing and hoping for more but never delivering, leaving you with a sense of dissatisfaction.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I highly doubt PoE has as much C&C or skill checks as Tyranny, does it?

It formally has reputations and multiple endings, but this is all so stupid.

I see, i might give it a try, i don't think it's gonna be as terrible as people make it out to be, i am more worried it's gonna be mediocre which is kinda worst when you think about it, at least a shitty game will anger you and make you rage quit and uninstall but a mediocre game will keep you playing and hoping for more but never delivering, leaving you with a sense of dissatisfaction.

First PoE is better than Deadfire, though very generic as setting, Deadfire is boring as shit.

barghwata

Savant

So i actually got around to playing Pillars of Eternity eventually and i have to say the game is utter garbage, personally it felt like playing tyranny all over again but with shitty writing, little to no C&C or reactivity, and 10 times more trash mobs; Tyranny is painfully better then PoE.

I thought the codex were exaggerating the shittiness of the game, but my GOD were you guys right.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Tyranny is painfully better then PoE.

In terms of worldbuilding and story design totally yes. Oh, look at this:

Chris Avellone - Tyranny 2017 - Original world and story design

But you could have a really interesting BG2-like combat encounters in PoE. Yes, you could. No such thing in Tyranny. Gimme my story mode.

barghwata

Savant
But you could have a really interesting BG2-like combat encounters in PoE. Yes, you could. No such thing in Tyranny. Gimme my story mode.

I don't know if i missed something, but i only found two such encounters in the entire game and they can't compensate for the avalanche of trash mobs i had to go through.

It played more like BG1 then BG2 really.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I don't know if i missed something, but i only found two such encounters in the entire game and they can't compensate for the avalanche of trash mobs i had to go through.

It played more like BG1 then BG2 really.

I didn't say there were lots of them.

Atchodas

Augur
Current state of affairs.
Larian studios are nu-Black Isle Studios.
Obsidian has gone underground for some foreseeable future.

Obsidian are now living the dream making their dream games such as TOW and Grounded directed at audiences under age of 16
:negative:
:troll:

Honestly thats probably for the better, their attempts at proper RPG games are so mediocre its insufferable

Trashos

Arcane
This post sequence is great.

Denial:

Anger:

Overall i think Obsidian is a pretty good studio, that has made great games before and has the potential to make great games again, even though they haven't been doing what they're best at lately (i blame sawyer personally), we will have to wait and see what will happen with Outer Worlds.

Bargaining:

Depression:

So i actually got around to playing Pillars of Eternity eventually and i have to say the game is utter garbage, personally it felt like playing tyranny all over again but with shitty writing, little to no C&C or reactivity, and 10 times more trash mobs; Tyranny is painfully better then PoE.

Acceptance:

I thought the codex were exaggerating the shittiness of the game, but my GOD were you guys right.

I sympathize, man.

barghwata

Savant
This post sequence is great.

Denial:

Anger:

Bargaining:

Depression:

Acceptance:

I sympathize, man.

Haha indeed; i really couldn't believe Obsidian could make such a shit game especially since Tyranny was pretty decent, and what's worst is i haven't played TOW yet and now i am afraid to play it because if it's shit too i will completely lose hope in them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom