Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wait two years, buy both on the cheap and fully patched.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
But if I won't buy these kind of games fullprice, who will? I won't live with myself if I just get them cheap at some steam sale.

I mean, look at this. I'm having problems deciding on which TURN BASED WRPG to purchase.
This is an unprecedented situation.

Gotta make this shit count.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
EDIT: I just found out there isn't. Can you sum up what you do in between battles, then?
Not much, really... you go to cities, visit the blacksmith, the healer and the merchant, rest on a inn, learn skills with a trainer and talk with NPCs for gossip, story quests or sidequests. As I said, this game is heavily focused on combat. That doesn't mean that there aren't optional fights and side-quests, but don't expect to play Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

To help you understand, this is the world map (a small part of it):

EuCw2L8h.jpg

And this is a city:

pTWbXR6h.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That did make the project ambitious when the game was less so.

You deny SRR failed to live up to its ambitions?
I'm not sure how to answer this question. In the end, the game wasn't ambitious. It was just linear set pieces.

If you picked up the game not knowing anything about it, you wouldn't know about the dropped plans for stealth or subterfuge.

I think what you're calling ambition, I would call lack of focus. Yeah the game has the charisma stat, which is almost useless. The problem isn't that they were ambitious and tried to do something with charisma. The problem is that they didn't know what to do with charisma.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That did make the project ambitious when the game was less so.

You deny SRR failed to live up to its ambitions?
I'm not sure how to answer this question. In the end, the game wasn't ambitious. It was just linear set pieces.

If you picked up the game not knowing anything about it, you wouldn't know about the dropped plans for stealth or subterfuge.

I think what you're calling ambition, I would call lack of focus. Yeah the game has the charisma stat, which is almost useless. The problem isn't that they were ambitious and tried to do something with charisma. The problem is that they didn't know what to do with charisma.

The game has free-move environs with attempts at exploration. The ambition was clearly to have exploration. Failed ambition.

The game has multiple ability trees with sub-skills and abilities, and multiple nearly without. The latter should have had, but doesn't. Failed ambition.

The game has dialogue-trees and one or two choice situations, then 20-30 fake choice situation. The ambition was clearly to have some choice in the trees. The game fails.

The game has an armorupgrade system and an itemsystem. The intention was clearly to have some choice and item progression, but all you have is a linear progression in damage and damage reduction. Failed ambition.

I could keep going on. The game's systems are shallow and do not live up to their ambitions.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game has free-move environs with attempts at exploration. The ambition was clearly to have exploration. Failed ambition.
I see no evidence of failing their ambition. The game does have parts where you can scout the levels.

The game has multiple ability trees with sub-skills and abilities, and multiple nearly without. The latter should have had, but doesn't. Failed ambition.
Doing something badly isn't the same thing as failing ambition. They made a crappy character system, but there's nothing ambitious about it.

The game has dialogue-trees and one or two choice situations, then 20-30 fake choice situation. The ambition was clearly to have some choice in the trees. The game fails.
Or the ambition was to copy those super successful Bioware games.

The game has an armorupgrade system and an itemsystem. The intention was clearly to have some choice and item progression, but all you have is a linear progression in damage and damage reduction. Failed ambition.
To me, failed ambition would have been to have broken item progression. Theirs pretty much worked, it was just boring. That's not having ambition in the first place.

I could keep going on. The game's systems are shallow and do not live up to their ambitions.
Yes, they're super shallow, but it's because they didn't have ambition in their game design.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This actually sounds pretty neat, felipe. Thanks!

Although- is there any sort of freedom to the choice of battles you wish to take on at any given time?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But the systems aren't shallow, tuluse. On the contrary, they imply great depth, that the game fails to deliver.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The obvious answer is to wait for the Steam sales and see which one gets a deeper discount. :smug: (probably MMX since it's been out longer)
I don't think early Access games go on steam sales so it will probably be a while yet before either game is eligable.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The obvious answer is to wait for the Steam sales and see which one gets a deeper discount. :smug: (probably MMX since it's been out longer)
I don't think early Access games go on steam sales so it will probably be a while yet before either game is eligable.

They do; Kerbal Space Program has gone on sale several times.

tuluse

Arcane
But the systems aren't shallow, tuluse. On the contrary, they imply great depth, that the game fails to deliver.
To me failed ambition is actual depth that doesn't work right. While lack of depth, even if implied, is saying "ah fuck it, we might as well not even try" or lacking ambition.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
EDIT: I just found out there isn't. Can you sum up what you do in between battles, then?
Not much, really... you go to cities, visit the blacksmith, the healer and the merchant, rest on a inn, learn skills with a trainer and talk with NPCs for gossip, story quests or sidequests. As I said, this game is heavily focused on combat. That doesn't mean that there aren't optional fights and side-quests, but don't expect to play Baldur's Gate or Fallout.

To help you understand, this is the world map (a small part of it):

EuCw2L8h.jpg

Ah, so you move along the western side of the southern part of the continent. That's a weird area, with the borders of fantasy Greece, fantasy France, fantasy Spain (Drol), fantasy Africa and fantasy Central America meeting directly next to each other. Fun setting. Hope you fight some cyclopses.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
That video looks quite cool.

@ Felipepepe: Is this structured like FFTactics?
If so, then this could become an instant classic, because those combat situations looked way more interesting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The combat log is a tool designed to show a detailed summary of a battle. The game's calculations are pretty complex and displaying all variables would render the combat log much less useful.
Make it a toggleable option anyway.

The portraits are useful for showing initiative sequences, but are not suitable to display complex tactical situations. Declaring actions by relying on portraits could result in pretty frustrating mistakes.
Not if highlighting a portrait also highlights the character on the battlefield.

Why is there no window mode?
So you won't get distracted ;-).
Cute.

We experimented with a flanking system, but ultimately, we ditched it. It would've caused unwanted 'tactical' patterns, having players running around enemies every turn just to get a flanking bonus/backstab.
Endurance mechanics would have caused a great imbalance between casters and melee fighters. To keep the balance, we decided against such a system.
I approve. Balance ftw.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
@ Felipepepe: Is this structured like FFTactics?
If so, then this could become an instant classic, because those combat situations looked way more interesting.
Yes, it plays like a western Final Fantasy Tactics. It uses a classless system and have less abilities/spells and party customization options, but, as you said, the combat encounters are more varied and more numerous. Also, once you reach Chapter 3 the game opens up a lot, you'll have various side-quests to choose from and almost the entire world map to explore, instead of the mostly linear progression of the first two chapters.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We should get our preview out so they can use "plays like a western Final Fantasy Tactics" as a quote on the Steam page, seems like a convincing statement. :lol:

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bought it last night on a hunch, played a bit this morning before going to work. So far so good. Plenty of options to choose from for character develomment, hand-crafted battlemaps seem nice. Dialogues are OK I guess, even if this Zumabaran mage-guy is already getting on my nerves a bit... Not epic "save the world" storyline, always a bonus...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom