Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

bonescraper

it plays like a western Final Fantasy Tactics.
Oh, how i wish it did. Unfortunately, so far, i'm not impressed. Not at all. It's another case of simplistic, casualized "classic RPG" wannabe. And for fuck's sake i played FFT on goddamn Gameboy Advance. How come you can't make a deeper PC game than FFT these days is beyond me.

And what's up with that whole murder set up? The girl was killed by a goddamn wolf, you don't have to be a XXI century crime scene investigator to tell she was fucking bitten and chewed on. Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyViper

Prophet
And what's up with that whole murder set up? The girl was killed by a goddamn wolf, you don't have to be a XXI century crime scene investigator to tell she was fucking bitten and chewed on. Jesus.
I recall it having to do what he thought that happened in his mind. Reality well he hoped to score with the princess, it went bad he got mad and in his rage killed her. Mental shock from killing her, he conjures up the story about wolf in his head to not remember what he really did.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game manual now available: http://cdn3.steampowered.com/Manuals/249650/Manual Blackguards english.pdf?t=1383845982

it plays like a western Final Fantasy Tactics.
Oh, how i wish it did. Unfortunately, so far, i'm not impressed. Not at all. It's another case of simplistic, casualized "classic RPG" wannabe. And for fuck's sake i played FFT on goddamn Gameboy Advance. How come you can't make a deeper PC game than FFT these days is beyond me.

Try playing some more.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It helps, but is still incomplete...absolutely no info about stuff like encumbrance, number of parries per turn, the full effect of talents or other stuff...

I've decided to make a rules guide on Steam, until they grow up and decide to properly document it.

Excellent work! The Steam Community Hub has an actual section for guides, btw: http://steamcommunity.com/app/249650/guides/#scrollTop=0

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Excellent work! The Steam Community Hub has an actual section for guides, btw: http://steamcommunity.com/app/249650/guides/#scrollTop=0
Cool, I'll post it there as well.

I sure hope Daedalic gets tired of hearing me cry about this and release all the info, it pisses me how they have a complex system but keep trying to hide it (fear of scaring casuals?).

Everybody rate this up: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192905991

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Having to put points into a skill if you don't want to make blind guesses? What a chump system.

set

Cipher
I'm naturally wary of games asking for money so you can beta test them.

And let's get this out of the way: FFT is not FFTA. FFTA was just a watered down FFT with a worse story. Just like FFT was a watered down Tactics Ogre with a worse story. Does this game even begin to stand at FFT's level? Because it looks like Disciples III - in-fact, I couldn't tell a difference between this game and that, at a glance. I played Disciples III for all of two hours, it was so mindbendingly dull.

WoW-inspired character trees aren't restoring my faith. How deep is character/party customization? How awful is the narrative? Is the game replayable-like?

skyst

Augur
Despite so many people here shitting on the Drakensang games, if you're enjoying Blackguards, you'll probably like Drakensang. There are a lot of similarities beyond the obvious sharing of ruleset/setting... even a lot of the art is consistent between them, which was surprising to me.

Anyway, even on the hardest difficulty, Blackguards isn't nearly as challenging as FFT can be. Some encounters are poorly balanced until you discover the one appropriate gimmick that works (like igniting a pocket of swamp gas with a fire spell to defeat an over powered foe) and other encounters are either easy to the point of being boring or just annoyingly difficult (2 Dwarf fight, or maybe I'm missing that gimmick...).

I'm but several hours in and Blackguards gives me the impression of being a massive game once it's completed, so I still have high hopes. The ruleset works well and the characters and setting are decent. Combat feels more comparable to Expeditions: Conquistador than FFT, though that might be the hexes talking. I'm not regretting the purchase yet, at least.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Despite so many people here shitting on the Drakensang games, if you're enjoying Blackguards, you'll probably like Drakensang.

Yeah... no, no way. They're not similar at all except in dressing. At least I damn well hope so. I am looking forward to this very much, and I did not like the Drakensang games at all. The Drakensang games were a poor man's Dragon Age: Origins. Same concept, slightly better character system, infinitely more clunky mechanics, somehow worse trash mobs, and the most banal story and characters I have long witnessed.

Anyway, even on the hardest difficulty, Blackguards isn't nearly as challenging as FFT can be. Some encounters are poorly balanced until you discover the one appropriate gimmick that works (like igniting a pocket of swamp gas with a fire spell to defeat an over powered foe) and other encounters are either easy to the point of being boring or just annoyingly difficult (2 Dwarf fight, or maybe I'm missing that gimmick...).

Do you think the difference in difficulty you and felipepepe experience is due to different build? Is the system that diverse?

I'm but several hours in and Blackguards gives me the impression of being a massive game once it's completed, so I still have high hopes. The ruleset works well and the characters and setting are decent. Combat feels more comparable to Expeditions: Conquistador than FFT, though that might be the hexes talking. I'm not regretting the purchase yet, at least.

Sounds good. Do keep posting these updates guys.

Gord

Arcane
Yeah... no, no way. They're not similar at all except in dressing. At least I damn well hope so. I am looking forward to this very much, and I did not like the Drakensang games at all. The Drakensang games were a poor man's Dragon Age: Origins. Same concept, slightly better character system, infinitely more clunky mechanics, somehow worse trash mobs, and the most banal story and characters I have long witnessed.

Funnily enough, it was exactly what you call banality that I liked about the story. I found it an refreshing diversion from the usual EPIC! writing you get in most other RPGs. Not that I would call them BEST GAME EVAR!!1! GOTY!! or anything, but I liked them for what they were, unpretentious and light-hearted games. Of course, having played RoA PnP for several years has probably left me with something of a soft spot for all things RoA, so...

skyst

Augur
Tell me how different the games are after you've slain your 50th Cave Mite or whatever in Blackguards.

But as Gord said, the scope and presentation of the story both feel very similar. Additionally, though one is RTwP and the other is TB on a hex map, the likeness in feel between combat in Drakensang and Blackguards well exceeds any likeness felt between a similar pairing like IWD2 and ToEE.

Regarding the difficulty, I went in with a fair understanding of how the game's mechanics worked from PnP and Drakensang. I cannot comment on what Felipepepe is experiencing, but I made a 2h sword BSF and am having no difficulty on hard other than the one encounter I mentioned. Magic is weak, at least early on (was in Drakensang as well), so I could see rolling a caster to be problematic. Especially since one of your 2 early companions is a caster as well.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tell me how different the games are after you've slain your 50th Cave Mite or whatever in Blackguards.

It's RTwP free roaming over-the-should versus turn-based, isometric, hexbased, hub-based. How are they even remotely similar?

the scope and presentation of the story both feel very similar

Fuck that, I just want to kill stuff and level up. Also, at least this one tries a spin with the whole criminal thing.

the likeness in feel between combat in Drakensang and Blackguards well exceeds any likeness felt between a similar pairing like IWD2 and ToEE.

...which are two games completely unlike each other. Plenty of Codexers like one and dislike the other.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, those who are playing, is it worth it, eventually, or is it a hopeless derivative mess? Also, someone tell me one can turn off that bloom.

skyst

Augur
It's RTwP free roaming over-the-should versus turn-based, isometric, hexbased, hub-based. How are they even remotely similar?

Ruleset, setting, story telling, characters, quest design - the overall feel of the games are very much a like. If you're familiar with both games, even the combat, though using different combat engines, has a very similar overall effect in presentation. This is largely on account of both games drawing from the same ruleset, but sameness in ruleset rarely gets you sameness in gameplay (look at any D&D games with different engines). If you just want to kill stuff and level up while ignoring everything else, I can see your confusion.

Also, at least this one tries a spin with the whole criminal thing.

So one story element makes a vastly different experience? Hm. Anyway, pretty sure you were a river pirate or something in the second Drakensang.

...which are two games completely unlike each other. Plenty of Codexers like one and dislike the other.

I'm starting to think you either completely missed my point or are just being argumentative. I chose those two games for a specific reason and you reinforced my point. They are both 3(.5?) D&D games and, yes, are completely unlike each other is many, many ways. Drakensang and Blackguards, on the other hand, have many, many similarities which contribute to an overall, excessively similar feel, which was what I was saying in that initial post. TDE is presented as a fairly consistent product between these two games; if you've played one and enjoyed it, you can get a similar feel from the other. Unlike the D&D games where, like you said, the games are completely unlike each other.

Gord

Arcane
Anyway, pretty sure you were a river pirate or something in the second Drakensang.

No, you were attacked by River Pirates after the opening cutscenes, but one of your comrades/NPCs (Cuano) was the thief (partly) responsible for the whole mess you tried to clean up in RoT.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom