Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Blasphemous 2

Ivan

Arcane
~15 hours in

Blasphemous 2 feels like a confident sequel. It smoothes the rough edges from the original by more organically introducing some of the QOL features more organically. Specifically, there are fewer deaths caused by spike traps/invisible floors that weren't 100% clear if they were death inducing/and more thoughtfully introducing the warping system. The map is a joy to explore and I had a blast doubling back through it once I acquired new verbs with which to navigate the environment. Combat and platforming feel as good as I remember from the first game. This time around you have 3 weapons at your disposal, and each have an exploration mechanic tied to them which adds some spice to the game. I would have liked to have seen an end-game map that focused more on you properly using all 3 in tandem. The game has a solid difficulty curve up through its initial gatekeeper bosses. After that, the difficulty takes a nose dive as you can get super strong after acquiring the movement abilities. I'm currently at what I believe to be the final boss and it's properly kicking my ass. That said, this is easily my GOTY. As I said before, this game oozes confidence and I'd love to revisit it once they release an expansion.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Abortion successful. Second last boss is a piece of shit but there's a trick to kill him easily. The rapier is useless as far as I can tell, I didn't bother upgrading it. The mace was the best weapon by a lot, it has good range, a wide sweep, builds the most mana points and gives a defense boost. First half of the game is a little more tough because of the upgrade stinginess but then next thing you know, you're getting showered with health upgrades. A lot of the atmosphere from the first game has been eroded, a big downgrade on that department. Pretty fun game, managed to hold my attention and that isn't easy.

Ivan

Arcane
3 favorites: a shame the bosses are so weak, I beat some of these so fast that I couldn't enjoy the full themes. Hope the DLC addresses that

Sunri

Liturgist
No wonder codex loves this game lmao
r/Kappachino - 1

Ivan

Arcane
Itching for that 2nd playthrough once the DLC/expansion arrives. Until then, these are neat behind the scenes vids:

3 others

Scholar
The first Blasphemous left a lukewarm aftertaste to me but damn, they really improved on the little things with this sequel and I'm glad to have given it a chance. The amount of inane scavenger hunt fetchquests is toned down a bit, the ol' traffic cone moves a bit more sharply, the different weapons bring a bit more variety to the main slaughterfest (though the pair of kitchen knives are useless), the bossfights are a bit more challenging in a non-bullshit way, the soundtrack leans a bit more on the flamenco side (sadly the boss music hurdygurdy doesn't make an appearance but maybe it was pretty played out by the end of B1), the Spanish voiceover is glorious even though I don't understand it, even the already-impressive animations seem to have been improved a bit... the way the owl hag's own birds pick her corpse clean after death is just an insane bit of pixel art flair. Even the leap-of-faith instadeath pits are only a distant memory.

It's not all incline though. I'm not a fan of the locked arena fights against enemy waves here (it was fun in Quacamelee though, not sure what's the difference here). The lore and directions on where to go are just as incomprehensible as they were the first time around, but this time the map has a quest compass to remedy this. It does get the job done, sure, but at the expense of the thrill of exploration, which is a big minus in a non-linear platformer. Actually, I'm not sure how non-linear Blasphemous 2 even is. I'm in the 3nd of the 5 pigeon cage MacGuffin part and it looks like those are intended to be done in strict order.

Hopefully Blasphemous 2 has been enough of a success for the studio to continue cranking out games. I don't know how accurate indicator the amount of Steam reviews is but B2 has been reviewed twice as often as B1 in its first 6 months, but the game doesn't really seem to be coming up anywhere. This Codex thread is silent, Reddit has no dedicated Blasphemous 2 subforum, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom