Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard: Please buy Starcraft 2 three times

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Full price expansions, DLC through battle.net and no modding.

You gotta be Warden or a blizzard fanboy to take this much anal and beg for more.

Keep dual wielding those blizzcocks guys.

Drakron

Arcane
Lestat said:
Sirus wins this thread.

Well yes and no ... Pokemon does that well BEYOND having that, you have Pokemons you can only get at events but the fact is beyond the pokemons that are exclusive to the version the game is still the same, also you do not have to actually OWN the version that have the pokemons but having someone trading then with you.

Oh yes ... fuck this shit, not doing Blizzard ... not fucking doing it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oh what the fuck Blizz is doing?
episodic content? Just don't tell me that one of the last normal studios was hit by the retard ray.
How many years did they spend developing this just to show Valve(tm)'s fuck you to the gamers in the end?

FalloutBR

Educated
I just hope Blizzard doesn't follow Valve's strategy of releasing "trilogies" just so they can milk the franchise for as much as possible... I mean, look at Half-Life 2, I played that years ago, got some stupid ending with an obvious hook to a next sequel... after years of waiting for episode One... you get a filler story that doesn't advance the plot, then after a couple more years you get another filler Episode 2... (which I didn't even bother to complete because I know it won't have any meaningful ending at all), and now years after HL2 we are still waiting for Episode 3... which will probably end with a cliffhanger to a "new trilogy"...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess I read somewhere that after Episode 3, there'll be a proper Half-Life 3. That one, however, could be followed by another trilogy...

bert

Arcane
Wait, shouldn't this be in the Strategy Gaming forum? Oh well.

Anyway, this'll be the gay.
"We're not going to be leik those fags over at Valve and delay everything for 5 years, so instead we'll make you buy the game 3 times in order to get teh full singleplayer experience!! lol! so much better than delaying it!! lol!"

Could Blizzard get any more fucking lazy and greedy? Jesus. :x

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
FalloutBR said:
I just hope Blizzard doesn't follow Valve's strategy of releasing "trilogies" just so they can milk the franchise for as much as possible... I mean, look at Half-Life 2, I played that years ago, got some stupid ending with an obvious hook to a next sequel... after years of waiting for episode One... you get a filler story that doesn't advance the plot, then after a couple more years you get another filler Episode 2... (which I didn't even bother to complete because I know it won't have any meaningful ending at all), and now years after HL2 we are still waiting for Episode 3... which will probably end with a cliffhanger to a "new trilogy"...

I heard Halo did the same sort of thing, though I never played it - endless cliffhangers. The story ceases to be interesting when it just goes on and on and is never resolved, for the sake of yet another sequel. Metal Gear Solid does this too.

Anyway, I'll probably be buying the human campaign and nothing else. I never bothered much with the aliens in the first game anyway.

According to Dustin Browder, StarCraft II's design team never intended to break the game up into three separate parts. "This decision was all about trying to get enough choices and options into the game," Browder said as we began our discussion about the "trilogy." "We got to a really bad place in developing the campaign where the story had become too big. There were too many things we wanted to do, too many characters we felt needed to be in there and 25 or 30 missions we'd need to provide enough variety."

More importantly in the decision making process, according to Browder, was the sinking feeling the development team got when they started cutting campaign features to squeeze the whole thing into one product. "We didn't want to tread water with this game and just give the fans something slightly better than Warcraft III. It felt like we were going backwards."

What? A gaming company actually realizing when it's stressing a single project well past their scope? That's so Troika. Or Piranha Bytes. Except that it's not.

Lyric Suite said:
I don't get the point of this. Couldn't they just release all three campaigns in reduced form and then expand and intertwine each of them with subsequent releases?

No. Are you faimiliar with the concept of time? What about timeline?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
I was going to buy the game. But after these news, I'm pirating it. I feel obliged to. Just when you feel for once being a good boy, they just won't let you. Their loss. Fuck them.

Chork

Scholar
Well, I'm certainly sceptical about this.

If - if - they can make each campaign worth the cost (as in at least 15-20 interesting, non-trivial missions each), I'll consider buying it.

That being said, Blizzard is the sort of company that could very well pull this off. But if they drop the ball, it's going to hit them hard from a PR standpoint.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously, better 3 standalone-expansions for ~30 bucks than something like a "StarCraft Forever" or a worse StarCraft game than it could be.

I just wonder how this will affect multiplayer.

The Exar

Liturgist
IMO, a very strange marketing move. Splitting the 3 campaigns in 3 games is absolutely ridiculous. Leaving just the 3-rd one for the expansion sounds a lot better. I don't think even Blizzard could surprise gamers with something so exciting and unexpected that deserves 3 times the money for one game. Starcraft is a very well developed game in terms of race balance. They'll make it even better in the first SC2. Then what is left to do?

I don't know if it's mentioned before, but it feels almost if Blizz are far from completing the 3 campaigns and they just want to rush one campaign and win more time for the others. But considering their financial success with WoW, that would sound too far fetched. Did anyone form the company say what the reason is?

The Exar

Liturgist
Just read it. I can't say I'm disappointed. I always thought that Blizzard see their SC and Warcraft future in developing games with strong competitive and e-sport orientation but they seem eager to prove that single player still matters to them and developing the campaign still gives the devs a great time. They seem to enjoy it. Good for me. I was never into competitive multiplayer and always thought SC had great setting.

J1M

Arcane
Seriously why are you guys being such crybabies? This is Blizzard, they have an unlimited budget and we all know that what this actually means is basically that they just confirmed Brood War 2 & 3.

I would be more than happy to pay full price for expansion packs if they were at the level of quality that Brood War was. Because quality games have become so rare, I have a lot more money to spend on the good ones.

Hell, I'd pay $200 right now for a UT3 remake of Deus Ex if it came with an SDK.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Well, I think the new campaign style for SC2 should be considered. It isn't a string of missions anymore, but has a bit of an open world feel. You choose the planets to explore, with some RPG-like elements. I think they're going for a Warlords Battlecry style of campaign, but with more story elements. If it does follow a tactical rpg route, ala Tactics Ogre, then the 'trilogy' might make sense.

The keyword here being MIGHT.

No kidding.

Seriously why are you guys being such crybabies? This is Blizzard, they have an unlimited budget and we all know that what this actually means is basically that they just confirmed Brood War 2 & 3

No. To anybody who bothers to actually read the news rather than jumping that ever so popular bandwagon it is clear they're not just aiming to merely engage in another couple of Brood Wars. Which is the crux of the matter, actually.

Selenti

Liturgist
No big deal, buy it once for multiplayer if you want to play on b.net, then pirate all the other campaigns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom