Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Ulrox

Arbiter
Wow, the psp version's voice acting is horrible.

For the record, I think Robert Belgrade did an exellent job, but I suppose Scott McCulloch wasn't bad either.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Some concept art of a few special attacks:
08354e33723f89d309614a349b704454_original.jpg

Gluttony Summon: Attacks enemy by summoning an angry spirit that devours anything and everything in its path.

78b3f0cc213e2c39dc4391de2af4b4db_original.jpg

Magical Throne: Materializes a chair that speeds up MP replenishment. Looks very relaxing.

a36656c9b3b10d1fe5011a46718ec641_original.jpg

Voltic Chain: Summons electrified chains to attack all enemies with electric volts. This is a special “seventh" ability—not a demonic one.

b4fdc7f31f1e8ffae139cca7b78e99a7_original.jpg

Winestained: Throws a wineglass in anger, increasing the effectiveness of certain abilities.

And a few Familiar concepts, though apparently only one of them will make it into the game after people vote on which two Igarashi will have to choose from:
5f8152e3d050f2e227d740c44088cb76_original.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
I couldn't really understand English when I played Symphony of the Night so I didn't care that the copy I acquired was in Japanese.

Man, going by those VOs I didn't really lose anything. :lol:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You only lost out on some of the greatest unintentional comedy in gaming history. Due to how hilariously botched the dub is, Alucard's "........" basically turned into "go away dad, you're drunk again".

Luka-boy

Arcane
According to Igarashi the Japanese dev team, who was proud of the Japanese dub and wanted an equally good English one too, didn't even learn how bad it actually was until after the game was launched in the West and they received with shock the news about how the dub was widely panned. Apparently back in the day during development, when they asked about the English dub to the company localizing the English version, they were assured it was great and they naively believed it. I think it was also mentioned that they simply couldn't tell if it was good or bad because nobody in the team present in the reunions could speak or read English.

Igarashi and Hagihara's punishment for that mistake is, still to this day, having interviews with foreigners sometimes open with the question "What is a man?".

Gozma

Arcane
If you played Japanese->English games in the '90s, translations ended up blending together in this odd blur of incompetence and Jap surrealism where you'd assume all Japanese games were batshit and all dialog or text meaningless. Games that I now recognize were not all that incomprehensible (like Silent Hill 1) were like playing a weird ass fever dream at the time (although SH isn't quite a localization issue). Even very competent English translations got changed by that mental filter (I remember playing Vagrant Story like it was typical Japanese nonsense then playing it years later again and realizing it's highly competent and straightforward faux-Shakespeare with a clear story). Being a product of '90s English translation hell is why the SotN localization is so memetic.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope Engrish never dies. The recent persona songs are masterpieces of Engrish. TFW you realize it was engrish all along.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
I used to dislike a lot of the SotN voice acting in my teens. But try to say those lines better than they do. I think the voice actors are not only well chosen in terms of the character of their voices, but they also do a splendid job in general. Reviewers just never like theatricality because they're closed-minded literal-minded pedestrian morons. The localisation in that game was fantastic but like pearls to swine, a lot of people didn't appreciate it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some concept art of a few special attacks:
78b3f0cc213e2c39dc4391de2af4b4db_original.jpg

Magical Throne: Materializes a chair that speeds up MP replenishment. Looks very relaxing.

b4fdc7f31f1e8ffae139cca7b78e99a7_original.jpg

Winestained: Throws a wineglass in anger, increasing the effectiveness of certain abilities.

This better be kept in. It's firmly in the grounds of stupid = awesome.

And a few Familiar concepts, though apparently only one of them will make it into the game after people vote on which two Igarashi will have to choose from:
5f8152e3d050f2e227d740c44088cb76_original.jpg

How much you want to bet that B gets the most votes?
:baka:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I hate that HUD.

"I hate platforming consisting of precise jumps"
-IGA

:retarded:

Well it certainly shows in SOTN I guess. Unfortunate really, as the game is meant to be in-part a platformer so you need to have some testing bits. Then again we had the clocktower with the medusa heads in SOTN which required some precise platforming combat, so maybe there's some hope.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think you have a very loose definition of 'precise jumps'. He's pretty obviously talking about pixel perfect jump horseshit, which I don't think anyone likes. Especially when you have a character moving at a decent clip instead of a snail's pace.

Platforming involving timing with enemies/obstacles and taking the correct action is far more interesting than some stupid pit that is exactly the length of your jump.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I assumed not because I don't think I've ever seen pixel perfect platforming in professionally developed platformers. Maybe I've not played enough.
Well, unless you count the old Tomb Raiders, but I certainly don't as the way the movement worked lent you a hand in precision (can only do a running jump after first running the length/width of a 64 by 64 block and a back hop sets you up exactly 64 pixels or whatever).

Machocruz

Arcane
Even with the clock tower in SotN, only the enemies could kill you, or if you fell into a spike at low health. But you could never die from missing a platform in any Igavania. Maybe he thinks it's fun to jump around in games in general, without any particular risk or difficulty attached, which is something I agree with. Agility is always a good thing in any action game, imo.

I assumed not because I don't think I've ever seen pixel perfect platforming in professionally developed platformers.

From my 8-bit/16-bit days, I remember it was usually action games that had a considerable amount of platforming (Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man), not pure platformers themselves.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"But you could never die from missing a platform in any Igavania"

You could if you have low HP :P

I don't expect insta-death pitfalls, but there is very little risky platforming in SOTN at all, despite the combat often making great use of jumping (to avoid and land attacks). Why have intense jumping involved with combat but not so much exploration? Missed opportunity I say. We still have the odd lava pit, spikes and such...personally I would have feature more environmental hazards primarily of the platforming kind in my hypothetical Metroidvania. Not TOO many, variety is key and it is good to have occassional space for great combat arenas focused on intense combat alone.

Also had 8/16-bit days myself. Platforming was high-risk and required precision, but never pixel-perfect precision in my experience.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
221ed6c25750f06a1eead44eb7db35eb_original.jpg

He won't look like that—not even a little like that—but we had Kari Fry create this remarkable artist's depiction for a reason. That backer-exclusive boss? It will be IGA.

He was reluctant to include himself in the game like this—even as an eldritch easter egg—but he relented when he saw fans talking about the possibility. Look, take my word for it: You've never been beaten into the ground and eviscerated by a nicer guy.

No wonder the campaign earned like thirty thousand bucks in just a couple of hours. I bet a bunch of people suddenly upgraded their pledge to the 60$ tier just to get to experience that. What the fuck :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-most-funded-video-game-ever-on-kickstarter

Bloodstained is the most funded video game ever on Kickstarter
Bests Torment: Tides of Numenera with over 30 hours left.

Koji Igarashi's Castlevania spiritual successor, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, has become the most funded video game ever on Kickstarter.

jpg

Currently set at $4,285,745 with still 34 hours to go, it's eclipsed Torment: Tides of Numenera's former record of $4,188,927.

With no sign of slowing down, Igarashi has added further stretch goals to the project, such as a prequel/mini-game for PC and consoles at $4.5m. At $4.75m that will come to handheld platforms as well, and at $5m a procedurally-generated roguelike mode will be added.

You have until tomorrow at 8pm PST (so 4am Sat for UK folk) to back Bloodstained, and pledges of $28 will secure you a copy of the game upon its release.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has been confirmed for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Vita. It's aiming for a March 2017 launch.

Here's some early prototype footage to whet your appetite:

:salute: Kz3r0

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Great. I didn't think many cared for the brilliance of SOTN and it's gameboy/DS followups. Back when console gaming actually had some worth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom