Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Board game group - Vassal, Table Top simulator and others

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So i am thinking of starting a board game group using Tabletop simulator on steam as the platform.
I am gouging the interest on playing different board games with fellow Codexers and what interest people have in a project like this.

There will be a few rules that could be subject to change and they are as follows.

Need to know English;
Need to have a mic and know how to use a mic on either skype or a voice chat of some form.
Be willing to read the rules and at least try and understand it
Have Tabletop simulator.
Make it know well in advance if you got time this week or not or you will get thrown out.

Optional rules that i might add;
I am thinking about adding webcam to the list. It helps with when you are talking to get people to pay attention i know people have issues with showing there ugly mugs, but this is not a dating site we already know that you look like shit.

Format:
The format will be depending on how many people i can get and i will update this part when i know more. For now this is planned around 3 people, but i have plans if more want to join.

BI weekly to weekly game's organized by a game master. (if we get more i might need help to get more groups going in a week)
Most games will be the 1-2 hour verity that do not take all day.
Ones in a while we will plan around a long term game like Axis and allies something that takes DAYS of intensive strategy, planning and caffeine to play.

Game choice:
What ever works well in tabletop simulator and then there will be a general vote.

Write bellow if you have any intrest. I am looking for a pool of people and if enough wants to i will see about getting more then game going at a time.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If there was a group interested in playing on VASSAL (hundreds of games available) instead, I'd be up for it.

fastjack

Augur
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for this one, I'm always looking at (and even buying) board games I'd love to play but none of my friends seem too interested in playing. I don't have tabletop simulator (I do have vassal, but of course it is free) but have no problem buying it if we get enough people together. Maybe I should warn you I am mostly interested in 'ameritrash' games and am not really a fan of most eurogames I've tried.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If there's enough interest to shell out the cash for it, I'd be interested. I've no experience with vassal either, but it has the benefit of being free. Ameritrash or eurocrap, I'm down for most anything.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I might actually be interested in this. Vassal seems the better option though. Tabletop simulator looks like it only has basic options like chess, poker, etc.

Games I enjoy playing or am interested in playing again (longer: 3-4+ hours):

Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones boardgame
Spartacus
Eclipse
Letters from Whitechapel
Eldritch Horror
Firefly
Twilight Struggle (2 player)
Android (this one I wasn't crazy about the one time I played it, but I'm willing to give it another shot)
Chaos in the Old World

"Mid-range" games I enjoy playing or want to play again (i.e. 1-2 hours):

Smallworld
Strasbourg
Dead of Winter
Abyss
Tzolk'in (this one could be longer)
Power Grid (with 3 or 4 players)
Lords of Waterdeep (with 3 or 4 players)
Yedo (with 3 or 4 players)
Dragon's Gold
Star Wars: Imperial Assault (1-2 hour "missions" with a longer campaign)

Short games I like playing (i.e. 30 minutes):

Hanabi
The Resistance/Avalon (though I don't think this could work)
Blockus
Coup
Torres
Survive
Kill the Overlord
Red 7
For Sale

Games I haven't played yet but want to:

Rex/Dune
Cosmic Encounter
Starcraft board game (someone told me this was really good for three players)
Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan (2 players)
Labyrinth (2 players)
The Witcher boardgame (hasn't had a great reception but willing to try because hey setting)
Mansions of Madness
Descent
Glory to Rome
Mageknight

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like most are saying Vassal so i will change it to that for now as it is free.

Like i said so far most game nights will be a midrange or short depending on time, but i strive to atlest ones a month get one of the +6 hours games going.

For what kind of games it should be what ever sounds interesting. Not only American games, but also interesting European games.

Last edited:

da_rays

Augur
Vassal or OCTGN? count me in~ Boardgame, Deck building game , Leading game card game or plain ol' Mtg or any obscure discontinued card game ( 7th Sea or VS system anyone? hehe )

But yeah , add me up on this. I need to take a closer look at Tabletop simulator.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
I am doing some research and Vassal has a few issues because not all there games are complete, but a few are.
Table top simulator costs money and is clunky, but has more games.

Any way.

We now got enough to at least start to organize.
The first game will be "Small World" on Vassal because it is complete, slightly clunky so people get a chance to see how this going to work out and the rules are online. http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/content/rules/

I will update the first post when i have gotten some more time. It will be Sunday. Normally i would give more time option, but i become a student Friday so i got some heavy drinking to do so Sunday is the only time next week that is open.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Alright i will see about getting this show on the road when i get home later today and organize some junk.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Any way if people could post there time zone that would be a huge help.

Next week i will start to organize this a bit more heavily. I was going to do it this week, but one of my exams got moved forward so all of a sudden i was supper buzy.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Well all i need is general times.

It is so i can make plans for different days and rotate it. Like i am GMT+2 and i will try and move it as needed so every one has a chance to join.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Oh yeah daylight savings.

I guess that would technically make me -5? It's only an American thing right?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Well it looks like we are all over the place. Any way the first game will this sunday if people are interested.

I say we test out vassal and find a game from there we can play. Something that is not to long for starters so if you have a suggestion then give it to me.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Alright we got a bit of a problem.

A dinner with some important people got moved to Sunday. So i think i am cursed so you now have until Sunday next month to find a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom