Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Board games

Beowulf

Arcane
Oh, Mage Knight also looked sorta interesting. Liked how it also had PvP option.

Mage knight is an optimization puzzle with hand management.
But it dresses up as HoMM on board attempt - you have a hero that grows skills, learns spells and recruit troops.
I've only played PvP as a race for VP, without direct confrontation and it's kind nice in that regard, as you can plan your turn during enemy movement and help each other out sorting the fights.
But pure PvP might be good only for 2 players, that will be directly involved, otherwise I'm afraid there will be too much downtime.

For coop with friends I play either Eldritch Horror (Indiana Jones with Cthulhu mythos, not much in common with Lovecraft atmosphere) or Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.
I've heard good things about Spirit Island and Space Alert, you might want to look into those titles as well.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been playing Tigris and Euphrates on https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=tigriseuphrates. It's nice getting in 3-5 games throughout the day.

te22001.jpg

te22002.jpg

Wish they had some other classic board games though. I also play some Castles of Burgundy but its just another insipid tableau builder. If only Castles of Burgundy had catastrophe tiles:/

Last edited:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron

Beautiful Vintage Board Games From the 16th to 20th Centuries​

https://flashbak.com/beautiful-vintage-board-games-from-the-16th-to-20th-centuries-455238/

The Game of Goose is generally regarded as the prototype of the modern race game. Devised in Italy and taken from much early formats of games played in the Middle and Far East, it was first noted in England by John Wolfe in 1597 as “the Newe and Most Pleasant Game of the Goose”. [..]

Many of the first publishers of games were in fact cartographers and they quickly included the race game idea into game of Geography. The spiral format was not used; it was replaced by a map – of England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland (collectively or individually), of Europe or of the world.”

the-noble-game-of-the-swan-1821_3038446144_o.jpg

the-ranks-to-field-marshall-1914-1918_3037608953_o.jpg

the-noble-game-of-the-elephant-and-castle-or-travelling-in-asia-1822-christies_3037607713_o.jpg

musical-toy-1811_3037607129_o.jpg

le-jeu-de-paris-en-miniature-1815_3037605987_o-1200x892.jpg

il-novo-e-piacevole-gioco-del-pela-il-chiu-1700s_3038441158_o.jpg

der-bergbau-the-working-of-mines-mid-1800s_3037598263_o.jpg

british-print-game-board-1940s_3037597301_o.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey guys, check out this Lifehack.
If you have a wife like I do that always goes 'leave me alone with your nerd shit' whenever you suggest to check out any board game that's just slightly more complex than 'Settlers of Catan', here's the solution:
Buy Ark Nova.
Essentially it is Terraforming Mars. But unlike Mars, where the Geekiness is already embedded in the name, all your wive will see is that the game is about building a zoo that's both popular and sustainable.
Surely, once you go through the densely-packed manual, she'll realize that she got tricked into something. In that case, just show her the card of that cute little Meerkat and I guarantee you, she'll be hooked again in no time.

The fact that not only the theme, but also the gameplay is rock solid helps that I could convince her to play more tham a single match of Ark Nova.

Lagi

Savant
Ark Nova is too heavy. I would agree if you said Wingspan (or Azul :?)
Jokes about kitchen aside, quacks of quedlinburg is a solid "female" game.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Funny you mention it. I bought ark nova and wingspan on the same day, both for the wife-compliant theme (and the good bgg rating). I thought the same as you and started with Wingspan, but now she only asks me to play Ark with her, because the other game is 'too simplistic'.
I knew she's a keeper <3 <3 <3

Silva

Arcane
Since my Scythe thread was completely ignored I'll ask it here: is Scythe good? Anybody here played it? Actually, move on, nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
What are some great party/family games out there, preferently for 4 players?

This "Resistance: Avalon" looks awesome but requires 5 players minimum.

Beowulf

Arcane

Codenames are fun and family friendly.
Coup (and its rethemes) work well at 4.

spectre

Arcane
Libertaria is great. Plenty of negative interaction, reasonably fast, card-based, but since everyone has essentially the same set of cards, it's less of an issue and it's mostly there to enhance replayability.
One caveat: the new edition (called Winds of Galecrest) dropped the Pirates of the Carribean aesthetics in favor of furry bollocks, but good luck getting your hands on the original.
On the other hand, the new edition ironed out the gameplay, which is pretty fucking solid right now.

Among my other recent purchases, there's Sagrada, which is basically an alternative to Splendor, i.e. the game to play with women.
I guess diddling with gems and colored pieces of glass triggers the right sort of chemicals in their heads.
This time instead of gemstones, you work with stained glass and put them in set patterns that are worth the most points.
Core gameplay is rolling a random set of (pretty) colored dice then drafting them in order.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
WTF is with all these board games needing apps to play (Mansions of Madness, LotR Journeys in the Middle-Earth etc.)!? I just want to take the box to the cabin in the woods to play with my wife and son, without the tech interference ... I also noticed the turn from board games being influence for vidya games to board games trying hard to emulate computer games... What does Codex say I should get for our family trip to mountainside?

Fighting ones:

Gloomhaven (this one gets a lot of praise, but from the videos I concluded that it was too complex and tactical for our layman enjoyment);

War of the Ring;

Conan;

Descent: Journeys in the Dark;

D&D (I know they are similar gameplaywise, and I heard that the Drizzt one is best in terms of accessibility, but I would like to hear your thoughts):
1.Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft
2.Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon
3.Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt
4.Dungeons & Dragons Temple of Elemental Evil
5.Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation
6.Dungeons & Dragons: Waterdeep – Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Or something different...

Lords of Waterdeep;

Betrayal at Baldur's Gate;

Cosmic Encounter;

Catan;

Call to Adventure;

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective;

Eldritch Horror;

Thnx in advance, Droogs :salute:

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Bought my niece a board game and she hasn't even opened it. She isn't going to waste her precious gaming time on a mere board game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

There's a 4p version called Quest. Pretty much the same but with worse art. But gameplay is as good as Avalon.

What does Codex say I should get for our family trip to mountainside?

If you can find a copy of it: Incursion 2e. Excellent pvp skirmish board game. Better than Descent and, from what I hear, Tannhauser.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What does Codex say I should get for our family trip to mountainside?
If you can find a copy of it: Incursion 2e. Excellent pvp skirmish board game. Better than Descent and, from what I hear, Tannhauser.

WTF is with all these board games needing apps to play (Mansions of Madness, LotR Journeys in the Middle-Earth etc.)!? I just want to take the box to the cabin in the woods to play with my wife and son, without the tech interference ... I also noticed the turn from board games being influence for vidya games to board games trying hard to emulate computer games... What does Codex say I should get for our family trip to mountainside?

Fighting ones:

Gloomhaven (this one gets a lot of praise, but from the videos I concluded that it was too complex and tactical for our layman enjoyment);

War of the Ring;

Conan;

D&D (I know they are similar gameplaywise, and I heard that the Drizzt one is best in terms of accessibility, but I would like to hear your thoughts):

Lords of Waterdeep;

Cosmic Encounter;

Catan;

Call to Adventure;

Eldritch Horror;

I'll give my opinions about games I've played:

War of the Ring is strictly a 2 player game, they shoehorned a 4p "mode" to try and sell more copies, but it's complete shit. However, as a 2p game it's excellent and probably my favourite 2p game of all time.

Catan - Oldie but goldie, always fun for the entire family.

Cosmic Encounter - Very chaotic game, but extremely enjoyable and has very high replayability. Definitely recommended for the family.

Consulting Detective - I love these games but enjoyment depends on your group. If you have younger people with attention issues then it's a hard pass.

My personal recommendation if you can find it: Chaos in the Old World. It's a 4 player (strictly 4 player, anything else sucks) area of control/dudes on a map type game that's probably my favourite overall board game. Extremely thematic, replayable, and interactive. Plus, it's Warhammer before it went to shit. Get it if you can. I own the first edition from 2009-ish, and there was an expansion (Skaven) that was kinda bad, not essential at all. I don't know if there are more recent editions, as the publisher (FFG) lost the license.

I'll never buy a single boardgame that requires a fucking smartphone app to play. Ever.

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant

Fighting ones:

War of the Ring;

Conan;

Lords of Waterdeep;

Cosmic Encounter;

Catan;

Call to Adventure;

Eldritch Horror;

I play shit out of eldritch horror. The aspect of reading loud card to another player, and he makes a decision is very "role playing" nice. Game is quite hard, and most of our games we lose, unless you know the mechanic well, and dont waste turn on expeditions.
But all my players like losing in eldritch horror, its like part of the fun when OldOne destroy the world.

I would take Eclipse 2nd ed (if you into sci fi 4x, and like tinkering with technologies)

Descent 2ed is nice fantasy rpg board game experience (if you willing to setup all the adventures) you can save the heroes between sessions, feelings of progress is nice. I will take this one. You could do all the mental work, setup the game, control monster and your family can focus on own character.

Or Hexplore It - hex crawl.

------------
your list is very odd War of Ring and Catan together ??!!

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Just everything that caught my attention and is available in my country... Thank you all for recommendations and experiences :bro: Love this community :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom