Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Books You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vazha, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    That, or the Dominator's court politics, with the Lady and the Taken hatching plots within plots...

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    :shredder:

^ Top  
  4. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    I don't want to see any literary work adapted into a computer role-playing game, as the narrative thrust of a short story or novel is directly at odds with the ludic requirements of a CRPG. However, I would like CRPG developers to take inspiration directly from classic fantasy literature, rather than their current state of being filtered through D&D and other table-top RPGs, then passing through older CRPGs, and finally influencing recent CRPGs third-hand via their influence on an influence of a influence.

H. Rider Haggard- King Solomon’s Mines, She

William Morris- The Well at the World’s End

W.H. Hodgson- The House on the Borderland, The Night Land

Lord Dunsany- Various short story collections

Abraham Merritt- “The People of the Pit”, The Moon Pool, The Ship of Ishtar, Creep Shadow Creep

Eric Rücker Eddison- The Worm Ouroboros

H.P. Lovecraft- Various stories

Robert E. Howard- Conan the Cimmerian stories, Solomon Kane stories

Clark Ashton Smith- Various stories

J.R.R. Tolkien- The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Fritz Leiber- Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories

Mervyn Peake- Titus Groan, Gormenghast

Jack Vance- The Dying Earth stories, Lyonesse trilogy

Poul Anderson- Three Hearts and Three Lions, The Broken Sword

Michael Moorcock- Elric stories

Roger Zelazny- Lord of Light, original Amber novels, Dilvish stories

Gene Wolfe- Book of the New Sun

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Giauz Ragnacock Scholar

Giauz Ragnacock
    Brace yourselves, I'm definitely not as well-read as many of you, but I think I have some good shit:

Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend':

This is the quintessential modern vampire/zombie apocalypse story. Just like in a RPG, Robert Neville goes from nobody to nightmare (in the eyes of real fuckin vampires). He starts out as an average factory worker and a veteran, but through necessity he becomes his own doctor, dentist, mechanic, and vampire biologist/exterminator. Every night he has to hold on for dear life to his sanity and sleep as people he knew taunt him and proposition him for sex to come out and be sucked dry (double entendres intended) at least until he sound-proofs his house/survivalist bunker. Each day is a hunt for resources and vampires to stake as well as checking for and repairing damage to his bunker. He also heads to the library and learns skills like a BOSS!

The game would obviously be a real-time survival horror RPG. Progression would focus on knowledge, survival skills, and bunker building. You have no chance in combat. Getting stuck outside dusk will take running/driving and clever use of the environment to have a chance of getting to safety. The goal of the game is to kill as many vamps as possible and confront your death at the hands of the new vampire society with a reputation score of 'Legend'.

Charles Frazier's 'Cold Mountain':

I had to read this in high school, but it is an awesome story set during the American Civil War. The protagonist, Inman, is a Confederate defector escaped from a filthy hospital after having his neck torn open in combat. He just wants to get home and see if the woman he loves is still alive and available still. Along the way he has to contend with bounty hunters and Confederate defector death squads trying to kill him. The relevance to RPGs comes in the fucking awesome historical (but impractical in actual history) weapons he comes across and uses to satisfying effect, including a big ass revolver with a shotgun barrel secondary fire and a scoped sniper rifle (in one fight he also wields a scythe!). My book report was on interesting weapons and equipment carried by soldiers during the war and those used in the book. To some up, the book has a badass protagonist, interesting non-combat encounters, absolutely nightmarish pursuing antagonists, and cool loot! Make it turn-based, and give the CRPG some stealth elements. For some survival/psychological horror flavor, see Stephen Crane's 'The Red Badge of Courage'.

L Frank Baum's 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz':

I know there was already a pretty godawful NDS RPG based on this, but I can't stress enough just how surprisingly awesome the original story was. For one thing, the book has the concept of the adventuring party in a fantasy land long before Tolkein (though 'Journey to the West' is even older and does have an average-playing Final Fantasy Tactics clone https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/480705-saiyuki-journey-west/reviews ). The characters are seeking to improve themselves within society (not to become "stronger"), or in Dorothy's case she is just trying to get home. Very few of OZ's inhabitants are outright good or evil (in the book, the "Wizard" also conned everyone into wearing green-tinted googles for a BS reason to make them think the Emerald City is actual Emerald in color).

Anywho, I just think this is a pretty interesting world that CRPG quests could be set in. The original story wasn't some ordinary saccharine childrens' affair either. More like a classic fairytale, there is violence present just as in the real world (the tinman, who is really a ship of Theseus made out of body horror, decapitates fuckin tiger-headed bears and other unlucky denizens in the party's way), so the world does not thematically hinder story possibilities. Imagine a cynical and sometimes bizarre world in a QfG type adventure CRPG... with lots of axe-murder...

H G Well's 'War of the Worlds' and 'The Time Machine':

WotW would be a fun game to try and survive in. Plus, there could be strategic battles where the military can actually fight back and win against the tri-pods, which are simply really fast compared to the artillery units at the time and far better armed rather than armored or energy shielded. The progression system has to do with the enemies becoming weaker as they begin to get sick rather than your humans becoming legendary heroes. Nonetheless, the military become more effective, and the challenges your civilian refugees face as the aliens get sicker and more unpredictable would change the longer you play.

The time machine would be fun with an exploring party of experts going to different times to explore the fantasticly altered world and help people along the way.

I'm not sure if Isaac Asimov's 'I, Robot' stories' world would work for a CRPG, but I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Last book I can think of right now is Austin Grossman's 'Soon I Will Be Invincible':

It's a funny cynical take on super heroes and villains with warped takes on the JLA (Catman, the Batman expy, gets his standoffish and analytical behavior from having autism!), and corny old comic book superhero plots happen, but the book's universe takes them seriously when not lampooning them in-universe! It's a vey fun relatively short read, and I would love to play an aspiring super hero or villain in that verse!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Then again, Betrayal at Krondor is good.
    Anyway, if Divinity Original Sin had ripped off Terry Pratchett with some success it could have been something really special, without sacrificing the humour that Swen seems to love so. So that would be my pick for something vaguely realistic. Not that Larian would have been successful in a million years :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
  9. Swampy_Merkin Learned Possibly Retarded

Swampy_Merkin
    CRPG set in an actual Plato's Republic.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius

Clark Ashton Smith this, Clark Ashton Smith that. Give me 2000 years and a thesaurus and I will kick his arse.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Arctrax Novice

Arctrax
    A good RPG with the Captain would be awesome.... what a fucking dream would that be

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Giauz Ragnacock Scholar

Giauz Ragnacock
    OH HFS! It was late. I forgot the book series that I first thought of when I began reading this thread. One of favorite action/sci-fi series of recent times are the Jonathan Maberry 'Joe Ledger Novel's. Take one part mouthy Baltimore detective, an awesome secret agency, great villains, well-written plot twists and secondary characters, and some nice homework about stuff in the real world that informs the plots to sweeten the deal. The final products are modern pulp-action hero novels with flare, genuinely funny character commentary, and signature detailed combat descriptions in man vs man/wtf is that?!!? fights. You definitely want to start with the first book, 'Patient Zero', a unique take on a zombie outbreak. From what I have read about JA2, a mod of that game would do nicely for the squad combat.

^ Top  
  14. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. sparrowking Novice

sparrowking
    A little place called none of your business
    The Man who was Thursday.

^ Top  
  16. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Sometimes when it's showing up in my alerts, I read the title of this thread "Boobs You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's".

I don't know what I was thinking.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Orcs and elves might work in a rpg, at least it'd be something new.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Very limited us of magic might be something old, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Even for Tolkien, despite numerous CRPGs based on his books, none of them have been worthwhile, and they largely fail to capture the spirit of his fantasy epic.

At any rate, I'd like to see CRPG developers use first-hand knowledge of classic fantasy literature to create something new from a mixture of authors, as was done with Dungeons & Dragons, rather than base their games on increasingly remote imitations.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    A LotR RPG set in a phase of the Third Age where the world is largely peaceful would be great. Creatures of darkness exist, but mostly in the deep places. On the surface of things, all seems mostly well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It features a cybeepunkish North America split into tons of corporate microstates, with no real centralised law enforcement, which would make it a great place for your typical murderhobo adventurers. That usually doesn't fit so well in a modern era game.

^ Top  
  23. Wysardry Augur Patron

Wysardry
    I'm a little surprised that nobody has suggested The Stand by Stephen King, considering how many Fallout fans there are here.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Age of Decadence was a great CYOA book, can't wait for the crpg adaptation.

• Edgy x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.