Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bored killing X monsters over and over again

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I have just reinstalled M&M7 having thought I will play through it with interest, but not far than Barrow Downs I am already bored fighting dozens magogs and ghosts. The same problem with other old RPGs. Every time I reinstall Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, I get bored or I'm losing the interest past the couple of towns/locations. It's maybe just me, but I have never finished a RPG more than once. A new story line would keep my interest up, but I can't play any kind of character just because it offers new dialogs options. I was just wondering if there is a game that can offer some kind of randomness in the storyline regardless of the character build. I have never played Daggerfall, I have read that it is a randomly generated world, but my fear is that the repetitiveness of combat and scenery would eventually make me quit.

Raapys

Arcane
Haha, trust me, Daggerfall is probably the game that has the *least* % of completed playthroughs.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
If you don't want to slog through hordes of meaningless battles in a game like Might and Magic you're tired of fighting monsters. If you don't want to finish a game like Arcanum or Fallout it's a bigger issue altogether.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Lord Chambers said:
If you don't want to slog through hordes of meaningless battles in a game like Might and Magic you're tired of fighting monsters. If you don't want to finish a game like Arcanum or Fallout it's a bigger issue altogether.

Finished them once. Restarted them many times but couldn't play through the end again.

Lord Chambers said:
Give Ultima 7 a go, will you?

I'll try part II (Serpent Isle). I have played it some time ago, until past Mountains of Freedom and Gwanis or something like that.

Codexian!

Novice
If you play Ultima, play U7 the Black gate. Its better IMO. (Serpant isle makes it so you can't die)

However, a few other games that might be what you are looking for:

PST. Not much combat.
KOTOR: Two different endings. Lots of npc interaction, with nice combat that does not become tedious. Lots of character building options. (light side tree is totally diff from dark side tree)

gunman

Arcane
Developer
It's obvious I would start with Black Gate, but Serpent Isle is the one I hadn't finished.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
gunman said:
I have just reinstalled M&M7 having thought I will play through it with interest, but not far than Barrow Downs I am already bored fighting dozens magogs and ghosts. The same problem with other old RPGs.

The Guild 2.

Yeah but thats a large chunk of the game. Depending on when you choose to go to british's castle anyway to get your spellbook. Its basically the same thing as casting recall.

Binary

Liturgist
erm no. copy protection is right there in the starting town, Trinsic - questions asked by the mayor.

After you are able to leave trinsic, any time you die you go to Paws, alledgedly found by Elizabeth and Abraham

But there is another copy protection in british's castle. After that when you die to are brought back to british. Isn'tthat right?

You are so wrong brave dimplomat. The Avatar wakes up in Paws, in that shelter, after dying in combat. The other copy protection is actually in the Fellowship with Batlin.

Binary

Liturgist
Brave Diplomat said:
But there is another copy protection in british's castle. After that when you die to are brought back to british. Isn'tthat right?

That's in Ultima 6

Funny part is that in U6 you can actually avoid copy protection by leaving the castle through the sewers. It takes a while to find (and survive!) the right way, but it can be done.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Ismaul said:
ecliptic said:
Go roguelike.
He's tired of killing monsters, and you suggest a roguelike?

He asked for "a game that can offer some kind of randomness in the storyline regardless of the character build." Only roguelikes fill that claim, as far as I'm aware.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Binary said:
Brave Diplomat said:

That's in Ultima 6

Funny part is that in U6 you can actually avoid copy protection by leaving the castle through the sewers. It takes a while to find (and survive!) the right way, but it can be done.

It dosen't break the game that you can't talk to lord british? Well, I guess as long as you know what you need to do you'd be fine.

Binary

Liturgist
ecliptic said:
Binary said:
Brave Diplomat said:

That's in Ultima 6

It dosen't break the game that you can't talk to lord british? Well, I guess as long as you know what you need to do you'd be fine.

Well in the long run I don't know, I'm sure it'd at least make the game much harder as going around without the orb is hard enough. I think there are a few places in the game you can't reach without it? In that case, yes, you eventually need to talk to LB to get the orb

Suchy

Arcane
gunman said:
I have just reinstalled M&M7 having thought I will play through it with interest, but not far than Barrow Downs I am already bored fighting dozens magogs and ghosts. The same problem with other old RPGs. Every time I reinstall Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, I get bored or I'm losing the interest past the couple of towns/locations. It's maybe just me, but I have never finished a RPG more than once. A new story line would keep my interest up, but I can't play any kind of character just because it offers new dialogs options. I was just wondering if there is a game that can offer some kind of randomness in the storyline regardless of the character build. I have never played Daggerfall, I have read that it is a randomly generated world, but my fear is that the repetitiveness of combat and scenery would eventually make me quit.

Play Deus Ex. Not a 100% pure RPG, but a damn good game neverthless. Interesting story and it's fun when you wanna play it without killing anybody.

TheLostOne

Savant
Saint_Proverbius said:
gunman said:
I have just reinstalled M&M7 having thought I will play through it with interest, but not far than Barrow Downs I am already bored fighting dozens magogs and ghosts. The same problem with other old RPGs.

The Guild 2.

For realz, yo?

That's one I picked up the box every time I walked through the game store, then put back down because everyone else seems to hate it.

Is there actually a fun playable game there?

Suchy

Arcane
still way better than your average and above average rpg...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom