Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bots make Banana game 2nd most played game on Steam

Iucounu

Educated

If an indie "game" can become this successful with the help of bots, rest assured AAA games can manipulate the charts with bots too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_(2024_video_game)

some players have been able to run large numbers of alternate accounts simultaneously to maximize profit.​
...​
the significant botting problems lead to inflate player counts — a lead developer stated that around two-thirds of players were bots in early June ... becoming the 2nd most played game on Steam

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
9ddd7637f17d81968db902a925c72f70e1331e05.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
Weren't there allegations that Amazon let bots infest Lost Ark to inflate their player counter? I know the player count for it was infamously static (doesn't drop at night etc.).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Dead internet with games.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you're using these kinds of stats to entice/appease investors in your totally not floundering game company, is that some kind of fraud?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

I'm not a lawyer, but if you're using these kinds of stats to entice/appease investors in your totally not floundering game company, is that some kind of fraud?
Probably. You can't get money from bots.

Atrachasis

Augur
To be honest, people writing bots to "play" this "game" for them makes more sense to me than the fact that said "game" exists and might actually be "played" by actual human beings.

Oh wait: "human" beings.

Vic

Savant

there's is a whole other scam going on with the game, I suggest checking out their steam forum

it's apparently being advertised as a way to make money for players, hence the many bots

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

there's is a whole other scam going on with the game, I suggest checking out their steam forum

it's apparently being advertised as a way to make money for players, hence the many bots
Of course it's something to do with skins.

It's like NFT's even more retarded younger brother.

Edit: actually, older, since it's been around awhile.

:deathclaw:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

Oh you definitely can in the case of this game. The reason they bot is to get "bananas", to try and get the expensive ones and sell those on the steam market. Whenever such a banana is sold the developer and steam get a percentage of the transaction. So botting quite literally earns the developer more money.

For the record there's literally 10 million transactions a day for this game. Developer earns at least a cent (depending on the currency of the seller/buyer) for every transaction. So he's making ridiculous amounts of money. It's insane.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

Oh you definitely can in the case of this game. The reason they bot is to get "bananas", to try and get the expensive ones and sell those on the steam market. Whenever such a banana is sold the developer and steam get a percentage of the transaction. So botting quite literally earns the developer more money.

For the record there's literally 10 million transactions a day for this game. Developer earns at least a cent (depending on the currency of the seller/buyer) for every transaction. So he's making ridiculous amounts of money. It's insane.
You mean gold farming? Sanctioned by the devs? Oh god

Vic

Savant
he means selling it for real money.

gold farmers do exist in other games and make a living selling gold for real money, but it's usually frowned upon and they get banned. In this case, will Valve shut the game down or allow this ponzi scheme to continue?

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I know. I'm surprised the banana devs are monetizing old school gold farming instead of using microtransactions. Then I saw the inflated player count and thought "oh right, they're defrauding people." It's scummy garbage.

Gerrard

Arcane

What the fuck? Who are the people BUYING this shit (I mean the market items)? It would be a shitty way of money laundering if you lose a ton of money in the process.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This dude or dudes literally made millions off a barebones zero effort Unity game and some math.

At this point I don't even blame them, that's an incredible accomplishment.

However the game is an indictment against humanity.

Vic

Savant
That's what gold farming is. The term comes from mmos, where Chinese sweat shops would "farm" the game for in-game currency (usually "gold") and then sell it to players for real cash. Gold farming has hugely declined as a result of microtransactions, since devs realized they can just sell in-game currency directly to players in exchange for real cash.

I'm surprised the banana devs are monetizing old school gold farming instead of using microtransactions. Then I saw the inflated player count and thought "oh right, they're defrauding people."

It's scummy garbage.
thanks but I know what gold farming is. Farming doesn't mean selling, it just means "making" gold. I think it's only normies who think gold farming = real money trading. Farming is just a slang used in mmo's to describe grinding for items, gold, mats, etc.

Atrachasis

Augur

So in essence it's just gambling?

And they get away with it because the customers pay only the purchase price of the game itself, rather than for each "dice roll"?

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

gold farmers do exist in other games and make a living selling gold for real money, but it's usually frowned upon and they get banned. In this case, will Valve shut the game down or allow this ponzi scheme to continue?
Valve earns a ton of money from this themselves so I doubt they will do anything.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

What the fuck? Who are the people BUYING this shit (I mean the market items)? It would be a shitty way of money laundering if you lose a ton of money in the process.
I am ngl I have NO idea. There's a lot of people buying the stupid default bananas for 3 cents even though there's no hopes of selling it for a profit in the future. Who the fuck knows why.

Some bananas however are "limited edition" so people might be willing to buy them for the hopes of selling them for a profit later on.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

So in essence it's just gambling?

And they get away with it because the customers pay only the purchase price of the game itself, rather than for each "dice roll"?
Yea it's just pure speculation essentially, similar to NFTs and other crap like that.

Gerrard

Arcane

I am ngl I have NO idea. There's a lot of people buying the stupid default bananas for 3 cents even though there's no hopes of selling it for a profit in the future. Who the fuck knows why.

Some bananas however are "limited edition" so people might be willing to buy them for the hopes of selling them for a profit later on.
Wait, is 3 cents the minimum? I thought 2 cents was the minimum and the dev gets a % that is calculated monthly from all transactions, not per transaction.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

Wait, is 3 cents the minimum? I thought 2 cents was the minimum and the dev gets a % that is calculated monthly from all transactions, not per transaction.
It depends on the currency I think. For euros at least it's 3 cents, where 1 cent goes to the seller, 1 to the developer, and 1 to Valve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom