Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Boy's first JRPG

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Crono has one line of dialogue that he says in one of the alternate endings:
hqdefault.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
it's literally just mash the A button until the fight is
I just megaton bomb all with Lucca.

Whenever you find yourself spamming A in a JRPG you're playing it wrong. Use your Tech points, the attack animations are all unique and have a charm to them. Coupled with the great OST, Toriyama's art and no annoying random encounters makes it one of the most enjoyable battle systems of the turn based 16bit RPGs.
You've literally just proved my point on how lame-ass the combat challenge is. Using tech points and combo attacks is completely optional and often drags the fights out longer due to those animations. There's usually 0 challenge to prompt you to use them.

No random encounters make replays boring as I've already explained. You're clearly very inexperienced when it comes to RPGs to because random encounters are never an annoyance either, the annoyance comes with excessive encounter rates.

I can see why you like CT, it's a beginners RPG and you're clearly still learning. But when you start levelling up with the genre you'll see why some of us aren't so hot on it. Check out Gastrick's poll to see a better representation of where CT belongs in the grand scheme of things.
I don't disagree with you except on the point that random encounters are not annoying. They are super annoying.

If on the other hand you give FF6 to somebody for the first time, he might get overwhelmed by the length and huge amount of random encounters. I was playing FF6 last week and I couldn't walk 2 steps until a new battle popped up and I was like come on man I just wanna get out of here. Didn't help that the place was maze like either. Super annoying.

I enjoyed random encounters in Dragon Warrior because it's a grindy game with focus on combat. But if you make a story heavy game please lay off on the huge amount of forced random encounters. I think modern JRPGs are a huge improvement as they follow CT's formula and show encounters on the map and thus make them predictable and often times avoidable.
Again dude, you've just echo'd what I said....
I was playing FF6 last week and I couldn't walk 2 steps until a new battle popped up and I was like come on man I just wanna get out of here. Didn't help that the place was maze like either. Super annoying."
As I said in my previous post earlier in the thread, it's not random encounters that are the issue, it's the frequency of them in some games.

Vic

Savant
it's not random encounters that are the issue, it's the frequency of them.
It's shit either way. If the frequency is too low you can't grind if you want to, if it's too high you can't progress the story without constantly being interrupted. Showing encounters on the map gives you more control over combat. Wanna grind for xp or loot? Kill everything you see, wanna just move the story along? Avoid what you can and circle around enemies while they chase you, great fun.

Falksi

Arcane
it's not random encounters that are the issue, it's the frequency of them.
It's shit either way. If the frequency is too low you can't grind if you want to, if it's too high you can't progress the story without constantly being interrupted. Showing encounters on the map gives you more control over combat. Wanna grind for xp or loot? Kill everything you see, wanna just move the story along? Avoid what you can and circle around enemies while they chase you, great fun.
No it's not. Done well it keeps things interesting and surprising.

Grinding is....again...for beginners. Use strategy. Grinding is the beginners way out.

Vic

Savant
Done well it keeps things interesting and surprising.
I don't like scary or dark games. I like happy games. Maybe that's the reason that whenever I'm absorbed in a JRPG and a random encounter pops up my heart jolts a little bit. Don't laugh.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Grinding is....again...for beginners. Use strategy.
Except when the game requires it. DQ1 and phantasy star 1 require grinding to beat the game.
DQ1 because there is no alternative(metal slimes are practically cheating and require meta knowledge to even acess) and phantasy star because the game locks progress behind money. And you can only earn enough money by grinding.

Ash

Arcane
Muh random encounters. Even if you clearly dislike gameplay and having to use your brain, just want a cute 16-bit story for soy boys, it takes 2 seconds to run away in FF6, and there are also relics to reduce or eliminate random encounters.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
For the record, I've checked out most of the suggestions given in this thread, and they're all revolting. Especially Dragon's Dogma. Thanks, everyone!

For the record, I've checked out most of the suggestions given in this thread, and they're all revolting. Especially Dragon's Dogma. Thanks, everyone!
We would've succeeded if we found a jrpg equivalent of Bastard Bonds, it would've been Liberals game of the decade.

Modron

Arcane
We would've succeeded if we found a jrpg equivalent of Bastard Bonds, it would've been Liberals game of the decade.
I would imagine there are at least a few bara rpgmaker games out there since you know they, the Japanese, invented the art style/genre and what not.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have never played a JRPG in my life. Ever. Not a single one.

What would be the best one to start with, out of the recently-released ones? Yakuza 0? Final Fantasy XVI? Shenmue III? Fursona 5?
I would recommend Lona RPG but since you're insecure of your gender identity and can't play female characters, your only option is Fear & Hunger. A lighthearted adventure with memorable locations and charming characters.
Was this game ever finished?

It's finished, I recently completed it.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
I have never played a JRPG in my life. Ever. Not a single one.

What would be the best one to start with, out of the recently-released ones? Yakuza 0? Final Fantasy XVI? Shenmue III? Fursona 5?
I would recommend Lona RPG but since you're insecure of your gender identity and can't play female characters, your only option is Fear & Hunger. A lighthearted adventure with memorable locations and charming characters.
Was this game ever finished?

It's finished, I recently completed it.

What is the rating for? Fear and Hunger is completely finishable.

EDIT: I am midly irritated here, what am I missing?

Last edited:

sardonix

Educated
I have never played a JRPG in my life. Ever. Not a single one. I'm not counting games like Dark Souls, because those are just action RPGs made by Japs, I'm talking about full-on JRPGs with everything that normally entails. Whatever that may be, since I am quite clueless on this topic.

Important: I do not play games where you're forced to play as a female (or """female"""), so those are not even worth considering. Also no Dragon's Dogma, I've already tried it and it's just an inferior Dark Souls.
Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There's a guy on YouTube called Jason Graves who says Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever made (his 2nd and 3rd spots go to Dragon Quest 5 and Ultima 6). I don't agree, and he hasn't made a video explaining his reasoning, but I generally respect his opinions a lot and he's played just about every JRPG out there, including ones that are supposed to be "really hardcore" like The 7th Saga (the original version with the fucked up EXP gains). So I wouldn't agree that you're some kind of retard if you like CT even if I don't care for it myself.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Im towards the end of Chrono Trigger I think, killed twin golems in the underwater power plant
Really raises my eyebrow to read heated criticism of the game, it's just ok

Derringer

Prophet
I like Square and Enix's older releases and the devs that worked for them pre-merger and SMT 1-2 along with Paper Mario 1, as far as ease of trudging through goes. Square Enix merging and Cozy leaving Atlus both happened in 2003.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Im towards the end of Chrono Trigger I think, killed twin golems in the underwater power plant
Really raises my eyebrow to read heated criticism of the game, it's just ok

It's nostalgia mainly, great to play with my 8 year old as well. It's a good game for the Snes.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Did Liberal ever end up playing a jRPG? (Also what's the deal with the "no forcing you to play as a female character" thing? Are you scared you'll wake up one day desperate to wear a dress? Please say you don't extend this to party-based games.)

If it has to be something modern then Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Ni no Kuni II, or Dragon Quest 11 would seem like some of the more obvious choices for someone completely new to the genre. But the need for it to be modern just seems weird given that the fundamentals of the genre aren't something that demanded flashy, current hardware, and therefore aren't completely elusive to older jRPGs. So ignoring recommendations like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy X would be silly.

Though tbh given some of the fantastic, well elaborated lists near the start of this thread, if you still don't want to play any of them after that, you never will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom