Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking news! Max Payne 3 looks like shit!

MetalCraze

Arcane
All that's being done there is that they are being kept track of in the world. Big. Fucking. Deal.
And yet GTA4 can't do that. As well as 99.9999999% of all games.

Except the engine doesn't just keep them placed and do nothing - they also fight in real time don't just stay there and whatever they damage will be televised.

GTA4 engine can't do this either as it restores whatever was damaged on your screen when you move away 50m

ArmA2's AI is actually AI. GTA4 has bots playing "moving" animation along preset waypoints put on streets.
It doesn't have every single AI using ray-tracing on the area to scan for enemies. Even when they are off-screen.

A video showing about 80 jets (count them) flying around in the sky, plus about twenty land vehicles. Woo. Again, big fucking deal;

Well yep. It's 4 times more than what GTA4 can show and not a glitch. And what RV can show on the screen is p. much unlimited.

Now add to that that each Tunguska is 2 AI doing what I've said above.

all around, there's fuck all (except a bunch of trees) in the surroundings

If he was filming it from a forest not an airfield you would be crying that you can't see nothing but a dozen of vehicles.

Clearly ArmA2 engine is superior in scope and yet dudes' PCs don't burst in flames even judging from these few examples (that are filmed with the most buggy unoptimized 1.00) so why fight, VOpp?

Be a bro, admit that GTA4's engine has a shitty optimisation while shows next to nothing special apart from Euphoria.

The question was never about ArmA2 engine being special, it was about "show me an engine that can have a bigger scope and not lag the shit out of PC" if you've missed that bit.

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
And yet GTA4 can't do that. As well as 99.9999999% of all games.

And yet you still fail to realise that GTA 4 and 99.9999999% of all games don't need it. Let me break it down for you...

Scope of ARMA: large scale conflict on an island. Up to a thousand units relevant.
Scope of GTA: sandbox type game in a city. Millions of inhabitants and hundreds of thousands of vehicles. At most, a few dozen units relevant in any mission, at different phases (i.e. low intensity conflict).

ARMA can keep track of a thousand units because: 1000 is doable, and it actually makes sense to keep track of units if you're supposed to be simulating a large scale battle. Nothing special about that though... loads of RTS games do that.

Having said that, there isn't even any reason for other types of games, such as GTA, to keep track of thousands of units (let alone millions). First of all, GTA is set in a world where there's supposed to be millions of units (vehicles & pedestrians). How are you going to keep track of all of them? Even your ARMA engine can't do that (a thousand is not "millions"). The way around that, which EVERY similar game uses, is randomisation.

Secondly, why on earth would GTA even need to keep track of that many units? I can't recall many games which ever had more than a hundred units involved in any single mission at any single time (i.e. not in different phases of a mission, but ALL at once). Not counting games like Total War, ARMA, RTSs, etc... whose sole purpose is to simulate those kind of large scale battles.

MetalCraze said:
ArmA2's AI is actually AI. GTA4 has bots playing "moving" animation along preset waypoints put on streets. It doesn't have every single AI using ray-tracing on the area to scan for enemies. Even when they are off-screen.

This is another blatantly false remark. The pedestrians don't have any kind of "preset waypoints." Upon spawning, they are given a random direction to walk towards, while following basic rules (e.g. stick to sidewalks, use pedestrian crossings, etc). Sometimes they also interact with other pedestrians (or even cars) on their way. In other words, they have the standard behaviour expected from NPCs.

What the fuck do you expect their "AI" to do? They're not your enemies, but if you do try to attack them, then they'll react by fleeing or defending themselves. There's nothing else their AI needs to do. In fact, if you use a cheat to set all NPCs hostile, then you'll very quickly see that they DO scan for you, and that they do fight off screen too (for those units which are being tracked, i.e. the ones relevant to a mission, for example).

MetalCraze said:
Well yep. It's 4 times more than what GTA4 can show and not a glitch. And what RV can show on the screen is p. much unlimited.

Wrong again. Two words: population density. GTA can display plenty of vehicles on screen at one time, but it doesn't because it's set in a city environment. It's ok for ARMA to do a battle with a hundred vehicles because you're in the middle of nowhere and there's a land distance separation between the next fight (when and if there is one).

If GTA displayed a hundred vehicle on one street, then it'd have to do that for the street right next to it, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that... city density quickly adds up. GTA could easily display a hundred vehicles at once, and you can even do it yourself by spawning them, but it usually doesn't because it would have to apply that everywhere around... which would be a clusterfuck.

MetalCraze said:
Be a bro, admit that GTA4's engine has a shitty optimisation while shows next to nothing special apart from Euphoria.

Classic skyway... attempting to change the issue and hoping no one will notice. Let me give you a reminder: this all started when I said MP3 will most likely have optimised graphics on PC, just like GTA 4 has. You, and the other dumbass who has now disappeared, derped "NO WAI! GTA 4 was totally unoptimised!"... completely ignoring the fact that I wasn't talking about whether the optimisation of the actual port to PC was good (hint: I said it wasn't). Here's another hint... I was only talking about the graphics quality, and that was optimised for PC; that's a fact.

Then you went on about how GTA 4 looks like a 5 year old game (massive lols), trying to use a shitty screenshot as your argument. Then when I posted some good looking shots with everything maxed, you went into full derp mode and claimed you couldn't see any different. Even if we ignore the fact that your multiplayer screenshot is, in its very essence, technically inferior to the single player shots I posted (as graphics quality is lower in MP), you'd still have to be blind to not see the difference even if that WAS a single player shot.

MetalCraze said:
The question was never about ArmA2 engine being special, it was about "show me an engine that can have a bigger scope and not lag the shit out of PC" if you've missed that bit.

Why do you keep trying to change the issue? Here's the point you're missing when we're talking about "scope": DENSITY. Population. Density. ARMA is in an island, GTA is in a city. What part of that don't you get? The actual point was that, if you tried to build a GTA 4 on ARMA's engine, it would be a fucking joke. ARMA's engine is not built to handle millions of units in a city. It's built to handle hundreds, upwards to a thousand or so, units, in a mostly bland (island) environment. That's a completely different scope and ambition to what GTA is trying to do. GTA also has no ambition to keep track of thousands of units in its city, because for one that would be a drop in the ocean in the total population, and secondly, there is no need for it because GTA isn't about large scale battles...

Haba said:
Like every other CONSOLE game. Keeping track of thousands of entities and simulating them is no problem as long as you don't have to render them simultaneously.

Since when is GTA about "thousands" of entities? It's a city, so it's more like millions. Besides, why do you want to keep track of them? Most of the time you're zipping around the city, so the only ones that need to be kept track of are those that are relevant to the mission at hand (which is, at most, a few dozen).

Haba said:
GTA4 was ugly, poorly optimized game that (after updates) looked slightly better on PC while performing extremely poorly. Just like every other Rockstar game.

To repeat myself again, I never said it was well optimised (I even stated the contrary a couple of times). My very first point was that Rockstar optimised the graphics quality for PCs, and it will probably do the same for MP3. I didn't say GTA 4 ran perfectly like it should. I mean, I was able to run it fine because I have powerful machines, but it's also true that it shouldn't have taxed them that much (for what it is). However, there's no arguing that GTA 4 looks much better on PC than on consoles. It might not look AMAZING or like anything special, but only a graphics whore wouldn't be satisfied. The graphics are perfectly serviceable, it's just the performance which isn't to standard (especially upon release).

trym88

Scholar
In Total War or Starcraft2, you can control hundreds of units at the same time in tha screen, now you are all fucked up :>

I regret having a part in this stupid pointless derail. Do forgive me Codex. Let's just give skyway his victory. He's trying so much I think he deserved it. This is obviously very serious and important shit for him.

Ermm

Erudite
Multidirectional said:
I regret having a part in this stupid pointless derail. Do forgive me Codex. Let's just give skyway his victory. He's trying so much I think he deserved it. This is obviously very serious and important shit for him.

No, he doesn't. This thread just needs to go to retardo land. This thread reads like a classic XBOX360 and PS3 thread with ANGRY fanboys.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And yet you still fail to realise that GTA 4 and 99.9999999% of all games don't need it.

I do realise it. It doesn't matter because the original question wasn't about that.

But let me spell it out for you again:

GTA4 doesn't have that. And yet it still runs like crap.

This is another blatantly false remark. The pedestrians don't have any kind of "preset waypoints." Upon spawning, they are given a random direction to walk towards, while following basic rules (e.g. stick to sidewalks, use pedestrian crossings, etc). Sometimes they also interact with other pedestrians (or even cars) on their way. In other words, they have the standard behaviour expected from NPCs.

Which is much less complex than what AA2 AI does.

And yet GTA4 still runs like crap.

GTA can display plenty of vehicles on screen at one time, but it doesn't because it's set in a city environment.
Man, it's New York. Time Square is supposed to be filled with cars.

GTA4 doesn't have it filled with cars.

And yet it still runs like crap.

Why do you keep trying to change the issue?

Read Multidirectional's post some pages ago which asked me to give him an example of a game with a bigger scope.

This isn't a comparison of gameplays or games. Or what game is more awesome or what is not. It's about GTA4 being a shitty port job.

The actual point was that, if you tried to build a GTA 4 on ARMA's engine, it would be a fucking joke. ARMA's engine is not built to handle millions of units in a city.

Neither is GTA4's engine. It runs like crap with 50.

What was your point?

MetalCraze said:
This isn't a comparison of gameplays or games. Or what game is more awesome or what is not. It's about GTA4 being a shitty port job.

Curious tactics you choosing a PC exclusive game for that comparison then. Arma 2 is an example of good port?
Must.. stop.. arguing.. with.. Skyway..

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
GTA4 doesn't have that. And yet it still runs like crap.

Its performance is substandard but it doesn't run anywhere near "like crap" as of now. Next you will bitch that the developers actually provided support for it... unlike the abysmal port of Saints Row 2 (which was completely abandoned). Perhaps one day you'll grow out of your two colour spectrum, and you'll be able to differentiate different shades of grey.

MetalCraze said:
Which is much less complex than what AA2 AI does.

And yet GTA4 still runs like crap.

Ah. I finally get it. No need to go any further; basically, it doesn't matter what GTA or any other game has. All that matters for you is they have what ARMA has. In which case you'd be able to excuse that game's substandard performance, much like you excuse ARMA. :smug:

MetalCraze said:

MetalCraze said:
The actual point was that, if you tried to build a GTA 4 on ARMA's engine, it would be a fucking joke. ARMA's engine is not built to handle millions of units in a city.

Neither is GTA4's engine. It runs like crap with 50.

Derp. Derp. Derp. It runs just fine on my non-third world PCs. Substandard doesn't mean it's abysmal. 60 FPS (in the lows) is still perfectly playable, even if I should be getting 100 ideally. It would run better if it were better optimised, but it doesn't come anywhere near running 'like crap.' It's also not a "shitty" port. For reference of a shitty port, see Saints Row 2 again.

The crucial point you keep trying to avoid is that ARMA's engine would be a shitton worse at running a game of the scope of GTA 4. Different scopes, different ambitions... stop comparing everything to ARMA, you bloody fanboy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Its performance is substandard
Fucking finally. You should've started and ended with this.

That was the whole point.

Ah. I finally get it. No need to go any further; basically, it doesn't matter what GTA 4 has. All that matters for you is if it has what ARMA has. In which case you'll be able to excuse its substandard performance, much like you excuse ARMA.

The fuck are you talking about again?

The crucial point you keep trying to avoid is that ARMA's engine be a shitton worse at running a game of the scope of GTA 4.

Oh here we go again. What scope of GTA4?
RV can run a hundred of planes flying around being blown out of the sky by dozens of Tunguskas on a 225 sq. km map with ease but won't be able to render 15 moving pedestrians and 10 cars at once among low-polygonal boxes? :lol:

Different scopes, different ambitions... stop comparing everything to ARMA, you bloody fanboy.

Me? A fanboy? I was asked to give an example. I gave it. What were the responses? "Oh but it's shiiiit, GTA4 is awesome, ArmA2 is shiiit because I saw a video with bugs" which were completely unrelated to what we were discussing. And I am a fanboy?

At least you've admitted that GTA4 had a shitty port and not any kind of "technology for future PCs" being made for 6 years old consoles.

I really think that Skyway ought to be called BROWAY since he's a parody of himself... just as BLOBERT is.

... and it wouldn't hurt humanity if both of these deviants were executed while we're at it.

Ermm

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Me? A fanboy?

Sarcasm at it's finest.
For a moment I thought you would bleed to death to prove your point, when I read half of what you have written in this thread.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Rasputin said:
MetalCraze said:
Me? A fanboy?

Sarcasm at it's finest.
For a moment I thought you would bleed to death to prove your point, when I read half of what you have written in this thread.

BAAWWW Evil Skyway dared to say that GTA4 doesn't have any "techs for future PCs". He doesn't appreciate the power of the game that runs OK on 6 years old hardware but doesn't do that on a newer, superior PCs. My console gaem baaaawwww
So I will attack his example no matter how correct he is and call him a fanboy cuz he actually tries to argue his point baawww :<

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
Its performance is substandard
Fucking finally. You should've started and ended with this.

That was the whole point.

:retarded:

Not so fast, Chernobyltard. You mean like what I did in my first two posts in this thread?

Post #1) "Rockstar will, like with their GTA games, optimise the graphics for PCs too (these are PS3 shots)."

Post #2) "GTA 4 isn't perfectly optimised for performance, but the graphics were optimised for PC. And that was my point."

Well done for admitting that you've been derping on for the past few pages, when I already concluded everything in my first two posts. :lol:

RV can run a hundred of planes flying around being blown out of the sky by dozens of Tunguskas on a 225 sq. km map with ease but won't be able to render 15 moving pedestrians and 10 cars at once among low-polygonal boxes?

Ah, you finally get it! Well done. Also, 225 sq. km of nothing. r00fles! Call me back when the ARMA engine can demonstrate a sprawling city with skyscrapers, massive bridges, and loads of buildings. An island with some occasional villages and medium sized towns is hardly inspirational.

MetalCraze said:
At least you've admitted that GTA4 had a shitty port

Why do you lie? Or did your parents and teachers never teach you to read properly?

ViolentOpposition said:
Derp. Derp. Derp. It runs just fine on my non-third world PCs. Substandard doesn't mean it's abysmal. 60 FPS (in the lows) is still perfectly playable, even if I should be getting 100 ideally. It would run better if it were better optimised, but it doesn't come anywhere near running 'like crap.' It's also not a "shitty" port. For reference of a shitty port, see Saints Row 2 again.

MetalCraze said:
BAAWWW Evil Skyway dared to say that GTA4 doesn't have any "techs for future PCs". He doesn't appreciate the power of the game that runs OK on 6 years old hardware but doesn't do that on a newer, superior PCs. My console gaem baaaawwww

Jesus fucking Christ..

2n0k2yr.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Saying that GTA4 isn't "perfectly optimised for performance" is you being waaaaay to kind. In fact it wasn't optimized at all.
So no. You start to admit it only now.

Ah, you finally get it! Well done. Also, 225 sq. km of nothing. r00fles!
You mean like much more detail than just boxes?

Call me back when the ARMA engine can demonstrate a sprawling city with skyscrapers, massive bridges, and loads of buildings.
FYI skyscrapers, bridges and loads of buildings that are about 20-30 polygons aren't as taxing as much more detailed trees and bushes. Just because a 20 polygonal box is bigger than 30k polygonal tree doesn't mean it's supernextgen graphics. It all goes down to polygons and texture resolution for your videocard.

shezan74_fallujah_3_7211.jpg

FallCity_01.jpg

An island with some occasional villages and medium sized towns is hardly inspirational.
It doesn't matter if it's inspirational for you or not. 30 GTA4 buildings are as taxing as a single ArmA2's tree.

ViolentOpposition said:
Yeah I simply didn't want to reply to this retarded "get a better PC to run 6 years old game tech normally" bit.

Morgoth said:
Are all Ukrainian so dumb and angry? It's like Skyway is missing something important in his life.

I'm starting to suspect everything is in black and white in Ukraine. Other than that, it's pretty obvious he doesn't get laid.. Or perhaps he does and bitch about it being popamole bullshit and how he didn't feel like he used precision aiming to the full. Blurry tits too.

User was nabbed fit

skyway said:
It doesn't matter if it's inspirational for you or not. 30 GTA4 buildings are as taxing as a single ArmA2's tree.

And there you have it, people. The apex of skyway dumbfuckery. We finally got there. :lol:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Multidirectional said:
Let's just give skyway his victory. He's trying so much I think he deserved it.

I do not think that giving a stupid kid a medal just for participating is the way to help him improve , if it's at all possible.

Exmit

Scholar
Max Payne is the best action game in history of gaming, who agrees?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
charlie sheen looks like he's been working out there

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom